The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, lmm said:

1 goal in 33 games is special, very special.

Make no mistake, I like McCann, but that does not change that I think he is being rushed.

Why doesn't every team start all their 19 year olds?

Oh ya, because its called the Oiler model.

Riddle me this, how many goals has McCann scored since he missed the WJC?

Rushed?  he's been scratched for quite a few games to spend time in the gym- did you miss that?

He obviously has the skill to play in the league.  Going back to junior or the WJC just before that isn't really what he needs.  He needs to experience the pro game albeit at a less drastic pace - which the Canucks are doing.  He knows exactly what he needs to do to excel in the league, and a lot of that is going to be spend off ice working on skill development and working on his strength.  

The Oiler model is to perpetually finish last until you've drafted so many top picks it would be impossible not to have a decent team.  Canucks are icing younger players and doing much better so you need to get your facts straight

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO McCann is Utica bound no matter how he plays next fall.

ps.  Love your Dancing Droid.  Very cool indeed.:lol:. He's right up there with the exercising bread slice.

I think it depends on how active Benning is on July 1st and I believe he's going to be busy trying to get this team back into the playoffs. It is a very real possibility that McCann at least starts the season there.

I'm glad to hear that my little friend amuses you:P

2 hours ago, stawns said:

disagree, I love McCann, but I'd give it 80% certainty he is in Utica to start next year.  

Sedin

Sutter

Horvat

Granlund

Gaunce

where does he fit?  

Gaunce is clearly destined for the wing. Perhaps you all may be right about McCann in the AHL. I think it would be a real step back for McCann. I agree with some of the comments that he would get top minutes and develop faster. I just don't like it from a psychological standpoint.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Benning will probably deal McCann away this summer for somebody like Matt Dumba. Its kind of exciting when your scared what your GM could do next because some of his deals have been good.

I don't mind that deal at all.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Benning will probably deal McCann away this summer for somebody like Matt Dumba. Its kind of exciting when your scared what your GM could do next because some of his deals have been good.

What about McCann and Tanev (Edler) for another top ten pick?

Just now, Piggy Bank said:

Gaunce McCann Boeser could be an excellent second line in Gaunce's prime.

Boeser, yes.  Not believing Gaunce is more than a fourth line player on a top team.  McCann looks to be a solid third line centre.  Bo looks to be a two.  We need a number one centre BADLY. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Boeser, yes.  Not believing Gaunce is more than a fourth line player on a top team.  McCann looks to be a solid third line centre.  Bo looks to be a two.  We need a number one centre BADLY. 

I've seen Canner dominate the OHL and I've seen him dominate the show - early in the season - for a few shifts back-to-back-to-back in some games. With weight and seasoning, I can see him as becoming a 2C who could substitute a 1C well when injured. However, I agree that on a top NHL team with SCF potential, he would probably be a top tier 3C. Maybe, if he found a groove on wing he could be a 2LW for years putting up ~25 goals ~35 assists.

7 minutes ago, Piggy Bank said:

I've seen Canner dominate the OHL and I've seen him dominate the show - early in the season - for a few shifts back-to-back-to-back in some games. With weight and seasoning, I can see him as becoming a 2C who could substitute a 1C well when injured. However, I agree that on a top NHL team with SCF potential, he would probably be a top tier 3C. Maybe, if he found a groove on wing he could be a 2LW for years putting up ~25 goals ~35 assists.

How about we win the draft lotto?  I like McCann and think he's a smart player who could easily play wing.

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would TBay want Edler, or Tanev?

I think they'd love either Edler or Tanev and if we took Carle back and they'd pay a pretty penny to make it happen. I always thought Edler if he'd waive to Tampa for Drouin and Carle. I'm torn on that deal because Carle is really bad! He's a healthy scratch on most nights and is signed for two more years at 5.5 million a year.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think they'd love either Edler or Tanev and if we took Carle back and they'd pay a pretty penny to make it happen. I always thought Edler if he'd waive to Tampa for Drouin and Carle. I'm torn on that deal because Carle is really bad! He's a healthy scratch on most nights and is signed for two more years at 5.5 million a year.

Do we have the ability to just buy out Carle?  Or would it be better to keep him, and put him with Webber?  I hear next year's top five picks are good too!  B)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Do we have the ability to just buy out Carle?  Or would it be better to keep him, and put him with Webber?  I hear next year's top five picks are good too!  B)

We would have that option but a portion of his cap would remain on our yearly cap space. I'm not sure how much of it would stay and for how long. However paying Carle 5.5 to sit in the press box doesn't make any sense when you can buy him out and have a couple mill on the salary and a player like Biega or Pedan in the press box. Theres also the youth movement trend and we'll have an excess of cap space that having his cap hit from a buyout wouldn't really hurt us.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

We would have that option but a portion of his cap would remain on our yearly cap space. I'm not sure how much of it would stay and for how long. However paying Carle 5.5 to sit in the press box doesn't make any sense when you can buy him out and have a couple mill on the salary and a player like Biega or Pedan in the press box. Theres also the youth movement trend and we'll have an excess of cap space that having his cap hit from a buyout wouldn't really hurt us.

And we get Drouin.  Sometimes to get a diamond, you have to take the ugly ring on which it's mounted?  

1 hour ago, Piggy Bank said:

70 points on the wing is  top line production. What we saw this year was a talented player with a bit of an edge. Put 10 - 15 pounds on him and he would surprise many fans I suspect. It is all speculation until then.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like McCann too, and I think he will be in Utica next season.  

I agree, and even if we don't draft one of the top 4 forwards or Dubois, we will have enough forwards on hand to give McCann a full year in Utica to make himself into something special.

Archived