The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Agree, completely.  They'll make up a strong leadership tandem, for sure.  I just think, from interviews and his work ethic, that gaunce seems (at this point) to be a logical choice........he is mature far beyond his years and experience level.

I hope I am wrong about this but Gaunce reminds me more and more of Shawn Mathias every game. Decent skills and creativity, no grit or desire to impose himself physically.

Just now, lmm said:

I hope I am wrong about this but Gaunce reminds me more and more of Shawn Mathias every game. Decent skills and creativity, no grit or desire to impose himself physically.

Yeah, I don't get that at all.

16 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm honestly kind of with you on this one. We had too many injuries to bring him to the WJC at the time though.

to me that is the epitome of poor asset management.

If this team was so thin that they could not afford to send a 19 year old away, then they ARE putting way too much pressure on them.  Where was Gaunce, Freisen, Zalewski or Farraro  (who they let slip past them to Boston on the waiver wire)?

Was Jared McCann really the only option JB had? Sad.

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree.  Even though I think a season or two in Utica is exactly what he needs, keeping him in can this season was better for him than going back to Jr.  He's a kid with a chip on his shoulder and he'll be itching to prove himself going fwd.

Next year is a different story because he will be old enough to go down to the AHL. He will be waiver exempt for 180 nhl games. (I do believe)

22 hours ago, appleboy said:

People were crying at the beginning of the year to keep the kids and then whine when they don't automatically turn into stars. They have not hurt any of the kids development. No one one has been put under pressure to lead the team. That was the Oiler way. The kids have their games managed and use their spare time to work with NHL trainers. It is a good system for sheltering and controlling their environment. Something that won't happen in junior. 

Yeah there isn't anything to complain about in how they are developing  young guys. Seems like they are doing an awesome job in that department. So what if McCann isn't in the top 20 for tookie scorers. Hes19!

On 3/11/2016 at 5:08 PM, TheCammer said:

Gaunce is clearly destined for the wing. Perhaps you all may be right about McCann in the AHL. I think it would be a real step back for McCann. I agree with some of the comments that he would get top minutes and develop faster. I just don't like it from a psychological standpoint.

I agree that sending McCann down is a step back for him and has negative psychological implications. Some players lose their confidence with such a psychological blow. However, McCann seems confident and mentally strong enough to be able to withstand this kind of adversity.

If sent down, McCann will be disappointed then pissed off. Then I could see him rise up and take on the challenge of getting back to the show. Now that he has had a taste of the NHL, he will be hungry for more. He would redouble his efforts and I could see him having a very successful year in Utica.

I could also see McCann staying with the Nucks if he has a great summer of training. He would be able to develop in the NHL next year if he isn't being manhandled as much as he has been this year. He has the skills and mental strength, but is lacking physically.

There is also a third option. He could start in Utica then get called up to the big club.

What happens to McCann depends on at least two factors. How much better he gets physically, and the opportunity. Two things though. One, it was not detrimental to start him on the big club. He was not harmed by this. Two, whichever route McCann ends up taking next year, I think he will succeed. He is just too determined and strong (mentally) to be denied.

23 hours ago, stawns said:

I actually think Gaunce will be the next captain, not Bo

Interesting. I haven't seen Gaunce play enough to lean in that direction. The next few seasons will be a learning curve for many Canuck prospects. There will be surprises and disappointments along the way. Gaunce is definitely a possibility for the C.

4 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I agree that sending McCann down is a step back for him and has negative psychological implications. Some players lose their confidence with such a psychological blow. However, McCann seems confident and mentally strong enough to be able to withstand this kind of adversity.

If sent down, McCann will be disappointed then pissed off. Then I could see him rise up and take on the challenge of getting back to the show. Now that he has had a taste of the NHL, he will be hungry for more. He would redouble his efforts and I could see him having a very successful year in Utica.

I could also see McCann staying with the Nucks if he has a great summer of training. He would be able to develop in the NHL next year if he isn't being manhandled as much as he has been this year. He has the skills and mental strength, but is lacking physically.

There is also a third option. He could start in Utica then get called up to the big club.

What happens to McCann depends on at least two factors. How much better he gets physically, and the opportunity. Two things though. One, it was not detrimental to start him on the big club. He was not harmed by this. Two, whichever route McCann ends up taking next year, I think he will succeed. He is just too determined and strong (mentally) to be denied.

All good points. He is known for carrying that chip on his shoulder about dropping in the draft so I have no doubt that if demoted he would likely fight his way back. I just don't think it is the best option. (but that is strictly opinion)

1 minute ago, TheCammer said:

All good points. He is known for carrying that chip on his shoulder about dropping in the draft so I have no doubt that if demoted he would likely fight his way back. I just don't think it is the best option. (but that is strictly opinion)

McCann could grow into a nasty player to go up against.  He already is hated by other teams'players, who are starting to take runs at him.  He does need to gain strength, but he could be a really effective shut down second line centre, who puts up 50+ points.  Knowing that ceiling, would we be willing (open to) trading Bo + our first round pick + more to get into the top three of this draft?  

Ps.  Are these two jerseys what we might be going to?  They are perfect.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

McCann could grow into a nasty player to go up against.  He already is hated by other teams'players, who are starting to take runs at him.  He does need to gain strength, but he could be a really effective shut down second line centre, who puts up 50+ points.  Knowing that ceiling, would we be willing (open to) trading Bo + our first round pick + more to get into the top three of this draft?  

The jerseys are just some conceptual drawings I came across. I like them too.

Not sure I'm keen on trading Bo but I get where you are coming from. Nice to legitimately have more prospects at center than we have positions. It is truly a franchise first.

4 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

The jerseys are just some conceptual drawings I came across. I like them too.

Not sure I'm keen on trading Bo but I get where you are coming from. Nice to legitimately have more prospects at center than we have positions. It is truly a franchise first.

Maybe Bo fools us all, and evolves into an elite #1 centre.    :)

On 3/11/2016 at 11:19 AM, Alflives said:

As it stands, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary will get the top 4 picks (sadly, all 4 are Canadian teams).

Of these four, only Edmonton does not need the top 3 pick (no need for another elite forward) and will be a willing to trade for Horvat + our 1st (probably 6-10 range) so that they can pick a defenceman with our pick and to use Horvat to support McDavid as a second line or a third line center.

I don't know about you but I shudder at the idea of having to face McDavid and Horvat for the next 15-20 years with just 50+ points McCann + Laine/Puljujarvi (if it's Matthews, yet another 1st overall, Edmonton won't trade this pick for Horvat + our 1st, it would be better for them to just draft Matthews, then trade him to another team that can offer #1 defenceman -- for example, trade to Arizona for example, Ekman-Larsson+something else). 

Anyhow, I don't think we are ready to pay this much premium to get into top 3.

To be honest, the game against Nashville was really encouraging. Usually when other teams don't have a chance at the playoffs, they bring up a bunch of young guys to give them development time but they also usually lose a lot of games and aren't able to compete with playoff bound teams. Case in point, Calgary (couple years ago), Edmonton, and Toronto (this season).

Our young guys? They compete. They are already well ahead and know what it takes to prepare for an NHL game and compete in an NHL game. 

It would be great if we can draft one of the Finns (or Matthews), which could still happen with a bit of a luck but if it requires parting with Horvat who we've developed for the last few years and already knows how to compete harder than most of Edmonton's 1st overall picks, then I'd say no to the trade.

19 minutes ago, khay said:

As it stands, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary will get the top 4 picks (sadly, all 4 are Canadian teams).

Of these four, only Edmonton does not need the top 3 pick (no need for another elite forward) and will be a willing to trade for Horvat + our 1st (probably 6-10 range) so that they can pick a defenceman with our pick and to use Horvat to support McDavid as a second line or a third line center.

I don't know about you but I shudder at the idea of having to face McDavid and Horvat for the next 15-20 years with just 50+ points McCann + Laine/Puljujarvi (if it's Matthews, yet another 1st overall, Edmonton won't trade this pick for Horvat + our 1st, it would be better for them to just draft Matthews, then trade him to another team that can offer #1 defenceman -- for example, trade to Arizona for example, Ekman-Larsson+something else). 

Anyhow, I don't think we are ready to pay this much premium to get into top 3.

To be honest, the game against Nashville was really encouraging. Usually when other teams don't have a chance at the playoffs, they bring up a bunch of young guys to give them development time but they also usually lose a lot of games and aren't able to compete with playoff bound teams. Case in point, Calgary (couple years ago), Edmonton, and Toronto (this season).

Our young guys? They compete. They are already well ahead and know what it takes to prepare for an NHL game and compete in an NHL game. 

It would be great if we can draft one of the Finns (or Matthews), which could still happen with a bit of a luck but if it requires parting with Horvat who we've developed for the last few years and already knows how to compete harder than most of Edmonton's 1st overall picks, then I'd say no to the trade.

I don't think the Coilers would entertain any of this. 

Archived