The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

I don't get the comment either, thought it was very deep.

59 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Via Elvis  

-Benning on Chychrun, has a NHL body, skates like the wind, makes good plays in all zones

-Believes that the top 3 have a chance to be world class players

-Drop off after the top 3

-Benning on College UFAs; looking at college UFAs has had a couple of conversations, has a list of players they like. Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

-Thinks that having some openings helps a teams chances. Agents look at a teams depth charts, think that will help when they try to sign a Defensemen

-Stan has meet with Trymakin at the Spengler Cup, English has gotten better, will look for a translator someone in town later

-Wants to get him into some games, going to monitor the games. Thinks that he might play some games in the AHL

-Edler has a broken leg, thinks he is going to be out for the year

-Says you need a dominatent defenseman to compete

-Granlund is going to finish the season with Vancouver

-Virtanen and McCann CAN'T play in the AHL, need to be sent back to junior before a certain date and play in their teams playoffs

-3-4 players they want to see before the end of the season Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski (has a concussion), and Pedan, wants Pedan to play

-Thinks Boeser will play another year at UND, thinks Demko will turn pro

I saysinatent it before, and I'll saysinatent again: you needin a dominatent defensemen to compete in this league!

In all seriousness though, good job on the summary.

8 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

Sounds like he singled out the very elite players as that group. Not a very good poker player if he wants the D man to include him in the group.

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

It's really the top 4, the American kid, the 2 Finns and Chychrun, is it not, or are there more? I don't see us in the top 4 but who knows.

I'd say Tkachuk and maybe Dubois or Nylander are above Chychrun...but its purely subjective.

4 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I'd say Tkachuk and maybe Dubois or Nylander are above Chychrun...but its purely subjective.

If that's the case then it's not just the top 3. If we got Chychrun or one of the Finns that would be amazing. I'm not expecting us to draft first.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

Why is a 4th liner on his list? Time 'o' dozen.

Stay focused Benning

Probably has a lot of names on his list and Tanev just happened to be on there as well. Probably just a backup signing in case they can't get the guys they want. 

8 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I don't get the comment either, thought it was very deep.

Last year it was McDavid, Eichel and then a large drop off.  This year it's the top 3 and then a drop off, however, I think that 2nd tier of talent this year is considerably larger.

26 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

2014 Draft - Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin....enough said.

People have become so touchy here these days, I can't even post jokes without people getting defensive.  There is a position between hating Benning and blindly swallowing.  If you re-read your initial comment it could be construed that given the drop after the top 3, that perhaps you lack faith in Benning picking after 3, therefore, that is the reason you want a top 3 pick that badly. 

The CDC in general has a depleted level of humour and acceptance.  I've loved our team through far worse situations than this. 

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some of the most encouraging things I've heard from Benning.

> NEED dominant defenseman

> Still considering sending some of our rookies for junior play off run / ensure best development experience.

> Chychrun

> See point one?

Benning prior to this point has been far to nondescript regarding our D. Nice to hear the wheel may finally be grinding...

Yesssssss

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

People have become so touchy here these days, I can't even post jokes without people getting defensive.  There is a position between hating Benning and blindly swallowing.  If you re-read your initial comment it could be construed that given the drop after the top 3, that perhaps you lack faith in Benning picking after 3, therefore, that is the reason you want a top 3 pick that badly. 

The CDC in general has a depleted level of humour and acceptance.  I've loved our team through far worse situations than this. 

My reply to your reply was simply clarifying that, for me, the statement was a positive reflection of his scouting and drafting ability....I was not being defensive 1 bit.

16 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

It can still be a deep draft. He just said the top 3 are world class players in his eyes. It doesn't mean the rest are chopped liver.

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

If that's the case then it's not just the top 3. If we got Chychrun or one of the Finns that would be amazing. I'm not expecting us to draft first.

I think the top 3 are projected to be sure fire, foundational/generational (in Matthews case) players and after that they are solid prospects with good upside.  There is a noticeable drop from Matthews and the 2 Finns to the next prospect.  

Just now, fanofvan said:

My reply to your reply was simply clarifying that, for me, the statement was a positive reflection of his scouting and drafting ability....I was not being defensive 1 bit.

I quoted you, but it was more meant for "ME", I am not a hater, nor am I a lover, I just fan.  Benning does have a good history at the draft for sure.

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

Why is a 4th liner on his list? Dime 'o' dozen.

Stay focused Benning

Because if he's a college free agent there's no draft picks involved. So you can fill holes in your roster. Do you think Dorsett is going to play here forever? 

Archived