The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because if he's a college free agent there's no draft picks involved. So you can fill holes in your roster. Do you think Dorsett is going to play here forever? 

God, I hope not (Dorsett)

Makes sense (college free agent = no draft picks), thanks for the clarification

16 minutes ago, Chalky said:

People have become so touchy here these days, I can't even post jokes without people getting defensive.  There is a position between hating Benning and blindly swallowing.  If you re-read your initial comment it could be construed that given the drop after the top 3, that perhaps you lack faith in Benning picking after 3, therefore, that is the reason you want a top 3 pick that badly. 

The CDC in general has a depleted level of humour and acceptance.  I've loved our team through far worse situations than this. 

What's that supposed to mean, huh? Swallowing? What do you mean by that?

Seriously Chalky, it would be nice if you were a tad more considerate of the feelings and emotional frailty of people on this site.

Unacceptable!

26 minutes ago, groovy said:

Sounds like he singled out the very elite players as that group. Not a very good poker player if he wants the D man to include him in the group.

he didn't say that chychrun would be their first choice for a defenseman...he answered the question of what did chychrun offer as a defenseman..there are some things that gm's hold close to their vest...

35 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I don't get the comment either, thought it was very deep.

I also heard him quoted earlier this year, a month or so ago, that there was probably 14 top 6 / top 4 guys. And then another level.

Pretty sure there are other good players, but the top 3 have potential to superstars. Example Linden was a great player for us. Pavel Bure was on a completely different level.

As of today, we would be picking 6th. Would be great to get (D) Chychrun, but I'd also be very happy with the Fin (D) Juolevi.

Heck, we're only 9 points out of last place with 17 games to go. Hope the Leafs start winning a lot.

8 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

Three top players with superstar quality though a bit less than McDavid. That is what he thought last year. Nothing changed.

The draft is still a lot deeper than last year. That's what he meant last year. Nothing changed.

For Benning, all he has to do is scratch each player taken at the draft and take the next one on his list; a list that has taken his whole career to standardize and a couple of years to compile.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

McCann 22nd in rookie scoring

Virtanen 30th in rookie scoring

Dylan Larkin was taken 15th and has quadruple the points Virtanen (6th overall) does. 

Enough said.

Larkin is one of the best players in that draft Benning isnt the only one who missed on him, also some players develop at different speeds. 

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well Monty, have we ever drafted a Norris winning defence man yet? 

Hard to do when you don't draft a defenseman in the first two rounds of the draft for the last 7 years.

8 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Dylan Larkin was taken 15th and has quadruple the points Virtanen (6th overall) does. 

Enough said.

That's an excellent point.  Every draft seems to have (for the forwards) one or two players that play way above their draft spot.  It appears that Detroit and Vancouver (McCann is super good too for his draft number) got lucky with those picks and got the two outsiders from this draft.  

Should we rely on chance every draft though?  Top 3 gives us a way better opportunity to get these top players.  Don't you think?

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

Larkin is one of the best players in that draft Benning isnt the only one who missed on him, also some players develop at different speeds. 

Not arguing that.  But don't call Benning a draft wizard and put up McCann and Virtanen as examples of great drafting when he missed out on Larkin and those guys can't crack the top 20 in rookie scoring. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Enough said.

McDavid has more points in his rookie season and he was injured, than the best season of Yak, and they both went 1st overall. Virtanen has as many goals as Drouin in half the games and he was drafted at #3. So what? 

Archived