Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)


Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not arguing that.  But don't call Benning a draft wizard and put up McCann and Virtanen as examples of great drafting when he missed out on Larkin and those guys can't crack the top 20 in rookie scoring. 

How does this comment make any sense?  Are points the only method to define a player's usefulness to their team winning?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not arguing that.  But don't call Benning a draft wizard and put up McCann and Virtanen as examples of great drafting when he missed out on Larkin and those guys can't crack the top 20 in rookie scoring. 

Yet you ignore Demko and Tryamkin because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

McDavid has more points in his rookie season and he was injured, than the best season of Yak, and they both went 1st overall. Virtanen has as many goals as Drouin in half the games and he was drafted at #3. So what? 

Sooo.. McDavid is better than Yakupov?  Ok, thanks for that update.

 

Yes, Virtanen isn't statistically the worst rookie in the bunch.  Is that the benchmark for making someone a draft wizard?  Because that's what we're discussing, Benning's drafting ability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's an excellent point.  Every draft seems to have (for the forwards) one or two players that play way above their draft spot.  It appears that Detroit and Vancouver (McCann is super good too for his draft number) got lucky with those picks and got the two outsiders from this draft.  

Should we rely on chance every draft though?  Top 3 gives us a way better opportunity to get these top players.  Don't you think?

We got ridiculously lucky that McCann not only dropped as far as he did, but dropped so far in a WEAK draft. Could be our lucky break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So from this I interpret that unless we pick in the top 3 we are taking the best available D as Benning (and most scouts according to Mackenzie and McGuire) #4-12 are pretty much similar level and interchangeable.

 

I would also not get too excited about Tryamkin right away.  He seemed to be setting the ground for an expectation of Traymkin in the AHL next year.  They might just want to show him how tough the NHL is so he is more willing to spend some time in the minors getting used to the game.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

McDavid has more points in his rookie season and he was injured, than the best season of Yak, and they both went 1st overall. Virtanen has as many goals as Drouin in half the games and he was drafted at #3. So what? 

Poor example. Drouin is a playmaker not a goal scorer. It's like comparing Henrik's goal scoring to James Neal's and declaring Neal as the superior player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Poor example. Drouin is a playmaker not a goal scorer. It's like comparing Henrik's goal scoring to James Neal's and declaring Neal as the superior player.

You've just illustrated my point. Not all players are the same type. Neal in relation to his skill set from his draft position is phenomenal. But you can't go comparing Larkin vs. Virtanen. They fill different roles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You've just illustrated my point. Not all players are the same type. Neal in relation to his skill set from his draft position is phenomenal. But you can't go comparing Larkin vs. Virtanen. They fill different roles.

Why can't you compare them? Henrik is a far superior player to Neal. Just like Larkin is far superior to Virtanen. It's not really debatable, Larkin has been objectively the better player this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not arguing that.  But don't call Benning a draft wizard and put up McCann and Virtanen as examples of great drafting when he missed out on Larkin and those guys can't crack the top 20 in rookie scoring. 

look at his later round picks. just because theyre not top rookies doesnt mean they were great picks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

So from this I interpret that unless we pick in the top 3 we are taking the best available D as Benning (and most scouts according to Mackenzie and McGuire) #4-12 are pretty much similar level and interchangeable.

 

I would also not get too excited about Tryamkin right away.  He seemed to be setting the ground for an expectation of Traymkin in the AHL next year.  They might just want to show him how tough the NHL is so he is more willing to spend some time in the minors getting used to the game.

 

 

Crawford said today he saw him playing against ex-NHLers in the Spengler Cup and said he looked "very good".  Of course they are ex for a reason, but Tryamkin isn't going to be trotted out against top-6 guys right away either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

look at his later round picks. just because theyre not top rookies doesnt mean they were great picks

No, actually if you're picking 6th overall and you're a supposed draft wizard... if that guy isn't top 30 in rookie scoring then yeah it means it wasn't a great pick.  I'm not sure what great picks you're talking about that he took in the later rounds.  Have any of them made the team let alone made an impact?  Great picks tend to make impact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Who is the one person that voted for 'no'?

 

48 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Twas I

Of course it was.

 

What do you like about the Canucks?

 

(Nom) nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

 

Right on the tail of JB's comment on the top 3, he says something like, after the top 3, there is another group of very good players and that's where "we" are at.

I think it is consistent with his earlier comments about being comfortable with where they are drafting, and with drafting BPA with "our" first pick.

So, we are probably not going to win a top 3 pick, and even with BPA in mind, our first pick could well be a defenseman because there are good D in that next group.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Via Elvis  

 

 

-Benning on Chychrun, has a NHL body, skates like the wind, makes good plays in all zones

-Believes that the top 3 have a chance to be world class players

-Drop off after the top 3

-Benning on College UFAs; looking at college UFAs has had a couple of conversations, has a list of players they like. Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

-Thinks that having some openings helps a teams chances. Agents look at a teams depth charts, think that will help when they try to sign a Defensemen

-Stan has meet with Trymakin at the Spengler Cup, English has gotten better, will look for a translator someone in town later

-Wants to get him into some games, going to monitor the games. Thinks that he might play some games in the AHL

-Edler has a broken leg, thinks he is going to be out for the year

-Says you need a dominatent defenseman to compete

-Granlund is going to finish the season with Vancouver

-Virtanen and McCann CAN'T play in the AHL, need to be sent back to junior before a certain date and play in their teams playoffs

-3-4 players they want to see before the end of the season Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski (has a concussion), and Pedan, wants Pedan to play

-Thinks Boeser will play another year at UND, thinks Demko will turn pro

 

- Chychrun is probably our best bet in the draft this year; don't know if we can "crap" out enough to compete(?) with Edmonton et al

- Top three? wishful thinking but what a wish!

- We've had some success lately with college players, scouting department doing a good job identifying potential role players

- well yeah, free agents aren't going to sign with a team that they can't make. Hate to say it, but...duh!

- it will be good to see if the big guy can come in and look at least decent, if not good. Don't know about the second coming of Z. Chara, but if he can at least keep the crease clear, that's an upgrade

- Edler and a fracture; gives us chances to look at depth, ie Pedan. Having broken my leg before, I know you don't bounce back like you can from, say, a broken ulna. Let Alex get a good, long rehab, and come back next year rejuvenated.

- again, duh, I think we all know you need a dominant dman to compete for the title. The issue is acquiring one; they don't grow on trees, and GM's will charge exorbitant rates to acquire in a trade, or will mortgage a franchise's future to keep one around. Yes there are exceptions, but those are rare.

- not surprised to see Granlund stay for the remainder of the year. Would he even make it through waivers if they tried? I think the 4th line center job next year will be between Granlund and Zalewski; I see McCann going to Utica next year.

- if one of Virt or McCann goes back to junior, let it be McCann. It seems like it's becoming more obvious that he just isn't strong enough for the NHL as of yet. Not doubting his skill level (approaching 1st line center skill) but he is getting abused out there. Don't see too many players taking liberties with Virtanen (physically at least)

- won't be surprised to see a rotation of 5 game stints between Gaunce, Grenier and Zalewski. We need to see a little more of what they are capable of at this level, to either see if we want to keep them around or to see how good of a trade bait they are if we want to clear out some depth for prime acquisitions

- Boeser needs another year, to gain physically. Demko really has nothing left to prove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

 

Of course it was.

 

What do you like about the Canucks?

 

(Nom) nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

 

Right on the tail of JB's comment on the top 3, he says something like, after the top 3, there is another group of very good players and that's where "we" are at.

I think it is consistent with his earlier comments about being comfortable with where they are drafting, and with drafting BPA with "our" first pick.

So, we are probably not going to win a top 3 pick, and even with BPA in mind, our first pick could well be a defenseman because there are good D in that next group.

 

Easy killer. Im just staying reserved. I've been disappointed in the past okay. 

 

 

He will likely see minimal minutes to start looking sluggish and overwhelmed with a defensive partner like weber or sbisa. If he turns out he does. If he doesnt oh well. Not getting all hyped up for a guy when he could turn out to be john scott or bolt back to the K if he isnt ready. 

 

At least ill admit to know knowing much about a player unlike most of CDC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

McCann 22nd in rookie scoring

Virtanen 30th in rookie scoring

 

Dylan Larkin was taken 15th and has quadruple the points Virtanen (6th overall) does. 

 

Enough said.

Show me a mock draft that has Larkin going at 6th overall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, actually if you're picking 6th overall and you're a supposed draft wizard... if that guy isn't top 30 in rookie scoring then yeah it means it wasn't a great pick.  I'm not sure what great picks you're talking about that he took in the later rounds.  Have any of them made the team let alone made an impact?  Great picks tend to make impact. 

How about we wait more then two years. BTW all the rookies in this class werent drafted in the same year. Try and be a little patient 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...