The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, fanofvan said:

Larkin has 39p in 64gp, averaging 14:23 in 5-on-5 TOI and 2:02 in PP TOI per game playing with Tatar, Zetterberg, Abdelkader, or Nyquist.

McCann has 15p in 55gp, averaging 11:24 in 5-on-5 TOI and 0:59 in PP TOI per game playing with Dorsett and Burrows.

Virtanen has 11p in 40gp, averaging 10:28 in 5-on-5 TOI and 0:35 in PP TOI per game playing with Granlund and Baertschi.

Enough said.

Virtanen is also a young powerforward.  Few people expect them to break in as teenage 20 goals scorers.  The other top 10 pwfd in the 2014 draft - Nick Ritchie - has 1 point in 22 games as a rookie - and certainly not time to judge him quite yet either.   Perlini at 12 has yet to crack Phoenix's lineup, nor has Alex Tuch (in Minnesota).

Jake has impressed me more than I'd expected tbh - he's looking both stronger and faster at this level than I'd anticipated - he's already able to blow by NHL defensemen, and he's already a player no one wants to get hit by (is already in the kitchen of a number of opponents).   He also thinks the game better at this point than I thought he would coming in at such a young age.  He's probably never going to lead his draft class in scoring (particularly with the likes of Draisaitl in his draft year), but he's a special, rare kind of player imo and has generated a lot more confidence (in me) than doubt in his abilities moving forward.   But the thing that has probably impressed me most about Jake is his perspective - he's extremely mindful of his team-mates and his comments always reflect a team-first disposition/attitude.  He strikes me as a young guy with a very firm handle on his ego, making him highly coachable imo.  I get happier and happier they selected him every chance I get to see him play - or get interviewed.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen is also a young powerforward.  Few people expect them to break in as teenage 20 goals scorers.  The other top 10 pwfd in the 2014 draft - Nick Ritchie - has 1 point in 22 games as a rookie - and certainly not time to judge him quite yet either.   Perlini at 12 has yet to crack Phoenix's lineup, nor has Alex Tuch (in Minnesota).

Jake has impressed me more than I'd expected tbh - he's looking both stronger and faster at this level than I'd anticipated - he's already able to blow by NHL defensemen, and he's already a player no one wants to get hit by (is already in the kitchen of a number of opponents).   He also thinks the game better at this point than I thought he would coming in at such a young age.  He's probably never going to lead his draft class in scoring (particularly with the likes of Draisaitl in his draft year), but he's a special, rare kind of player imo and has generated a lot more confidence (in me) than doubt in his abilities moving forward.   But the thing that has probably impressed me most about Jake is his perspective - he's extremely mindful of his team-mates and his comments always reflect a team-first disposition/attitude.  He strikes me as a young guy with a very firm handle on his ego, making him highly coachable imo.  I get happier and happier they selected him every chance I get to see him play - or get interviewed.

Lest we forget that the most recent Power Forward that we had on our team that also took a couple of years to really start producing was none other than Todd Bertuzzi.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I have a sneaky feeling that if Virtanen played with similar supporting linemates like Larkin has, ie the Sedins, his numbers would be considerably higher.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

Why is a 4th liner on his list? Dime 'o' dozen.

Stay focused Benning

Nonsense.   Depth wins championships.  Playoff hockey - the better fourth line and 3rd pairing can make all the difference.  Not lost on the best GMs.  Creating separation between your depth and an opponent's is crucial - and does not depend on 'elite talent.'  

Very worthwhile goal to have the best fourth line in the league. 

4 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Watching highlights of Laine has me drooling....purely on play style (READ NOT A SKILL COMPARISON), he reminds me of Lemieux in that he uses his size effectively, protects the puck, and has no problem going to the dirty areas to get the job done.

And he is still only 18, incredible.  Europeans used to take longer to mature for the pro game.  Not so with these guys.

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

And he is still only 18, incredible.  Europeans used to take longer to mature for the pro game.  Not so with these guys.

I'm a big fan of the Canucks (seasons ticket holder) but I'm all for #tanknation if it means we can scoop up Laine as odds are Toronto gets Matthews.

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Why can't you compare them? Henrik is a far superior player to Neal. Just like Larkin is far superior to Virtanen. It's not really debatable, Larkin has been objectively the better player this season. 

The problem is that each had different coaches.  WD never got Virtanen into a playing rhythm: shifts too short, under 10 minutes a game more often than not, and he missed a third of the season.  Compare them next year, to be fair.

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I'm a big fan of the Canucks (seasons ticket holder) but I'm all for #tanknation if it means we can scoop up Laine as odds are Toronto gets Matthews.

No, the odds are that the last place team will not get Matthews, by a considerable margin of 4 to 1. 

14 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I have a sneaky feeling that if Virtanen played with similar supporting linemates like Larkin has, ie the Sedins, his numbers would be considerably higher.

Can anyone deny that a young, strong, physical, fast power forward is going to contribute more when he's 24 than when he's 19?  Right now he's here to develop.  Do we really care if he's as good as so and so this year, or next year for that matter?

He's making progress.  We aren't likely to know what player he'll turn into for a few more years. 

Maybe we should return to this discussion in a few years  ... or not.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Three top players with superstar quality though a bit lease than McDavid. That is what he thought last year. Nothing changed.

The the rear is still a lot deeper than last year. That's what he meant last year. Nothing changed.

For Benning, all he has to do is scratch each player taken at the draft and take the next one on his list; a list that has taken his whole career to standardize and a couple of years to compile.

Yes.  As someone said on a different thread, "let the world class evaluator of talent do his job."  

4 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

I think what he's talking about is that the top 3 guys all have the ability to be cornerstone, franchise players. All the guys 4 - 15 have the ability to be Top 6 forward or Top 4 defense, but they aren't projected to be the type of dominant players that the top 3 are considered to be.

I can't find a link to where this was said, but I heard a comparison that the Top 3 this year is a little like having Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby all available in the top 3 of the draft and having to decide who you take. Really uncommon to have 3 guys that project as high as the top 3 this year do, all grouped together.

Really hoping we can win the lottery for one of those 3 spots.

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

No, the odds are that the last place team will not get Matthews, by a considerable margin of 4 to 1. 

Maybe if the worst team was Buffalo, but this is Toronto we are talking about, you know, the centre of Canada and the hockey universe.

19 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Maybe if the worst team was Buffalo, but this is Toronto we are talking about, you know, the centre of Canada and the hockey universe.

If they're going to fix it he's going to Arizona. 

It benefits the NHL not at all to have Toronto win the lottery. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's an excellent point.  Every draft seems to have (for the forwards) one or two players that play way above their draft spot.  It appears that Detroit and Vancouver (McCann is super good too for his draft number) got lucky with those picks and got the two outsiders from this draft.  

Should we rely on chance every draft though?  Top 3 gives us a way better opportunity to get these top players.  Don't you think?

I think you missed Paternak and Fabbri.

McCann is scoring like 4th round phenom Victor Arvidsson

He is also getting destroyed physically.

McCann is the epitome of a rushed prospect.

If McCann gets out of this season without a nagging injury he and the Canucks will be lucky  

It's a bloody good draft to be looking for a blueliner and likely falling in the 5 to 10 range.

Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean, Juolevi, Fabbro - this team is going to come out of the draft with a very good young D prospect.

I would have been absolutely jacked to have the 8th in last year's draft (Werenski) - or the 7th (Provorov) but again this year - very good D prospects in this range.

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Well said. I get a sense that most of the posters here that bash Virtanen and want Ehlers/Nylander probably didn't watch much of Canucks hockey this season and of late because it's "boring". Ehlers and Nylander are going to be good players too but I think Virtanen will also be a very good player.

Virtanen improved quite a lot over the course of the season and he seems to be gaining more confidence and he is learning to utilize his skills better. I think Virtanen vs Ehlers vs Nylander debate is pointless at this point because all three of them are going to be good players. Teams need a fast player like Ehlers, a skilled player like Nylander, but every team also needs and wants a physically talented player like Virtanen. 

We can always draft our Nylander or Ehlers next season. Heck, if we are lucky, we might even get one of the Finns -- combination of elite skill, speed, and physical attributes.

Archived