The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Brendan Gaunce and Andrey Pedan

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He does play with Tavares (45.8% of his 5 on 5) but even more so this season with Frans Nielsen (54.1% 5 on 5 with Nielsen) - with Bailey, Kulemin and Nelson splitting LW duties fairly evenly - and he's produced more (proportionately) this year playing with Nielsen... so I'm not sure a concern that he's Tavares-made would hold up in terms of is production at this point.

23 goals and 62 pts / 82 - with that right handed shot, fairly heavy game and good speed - pretty attractive Sedin winger imo.  My only concern would be how well he could complement them without the puck, on their own side of the red line.  I'm not sure he has the 200ft game to be ideal - but relative to Lucic he probably holds his own.

I'd still pick him up if we can.

If he struggled with the twins (his own end or otherwise) he could still be an EXCELLENT fit IMO with Horvat and move Sutter or Hansen to the Sedin's RW.

Okposo fits this team to a T... I REALLY hope we can swing him.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If he struggled with the twins (his own end or otherwise) he could still be an EXCELLENT fit IMO with Horvat and move Sutter or Hansen to the Sedin's RW.

Yes - you either have him in primarily ozone stars with a Sedin line that can capitailize (in which case the one limiting concern may not be that much of an issue) - and three other lines that ought to be able to provide those ozone starts - or you still have a couple other good options and a 20+ goal scorer on the wing of your 2nd line.

Win win imo.

He's the one guy I might be in at market value for.   He's also 26, so committing to him fits well in the team's trajectory.  All of a sudden, what used to be a weak spot in the system (future RW) has Okposo, Virtanen and Boeser coming down the line (with an elite two-way veteran like Hansen able to play literally anywhere).  Deadly.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes - you either have him in primarily ozone stars with a Sedin line that can capitailize (in which case the one limiting concern may not be that much of an issue) - and three other lines that ought to be able to provide those ozone starts - or you still have a couple other good options and a 20+ goal scorer on the wing of your 2nd line.

Win win imo.

He's the one guy I might be in at market value for.   He's also 26, so committing to him fits well in the team's trajectory.  All of a sudden, what used to be a weak spot in the system (future RW) has Okposo, Virtanen and Boeser coming down the line (with an elite veteran like Hansen able to play literally anywhere).  Deadly.

Yes! :wub:

I'm hoping we could get him for market value but I also wouldn't terribly mind if we have to overspend a bit to entice him (as we're not a contender).

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sedin Sedin Okposo

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen  //  Granlund Sutter Hansen

Etem/Burrows McCann/Vey Dorsett/Grenier

I like the look of that very much!

Especially together with:

Hutton-Tanev

Hamhuis/Edler-Sbisa

Pedan-Tryamkin

Biega (spare)

(One of either Hamhuis or Edler not resigned or traded. Would prefer to keep Hammer to teach the kids!)

I'm all on board for bringing in Okpsoso over Lucic.  He looks like a perfect fit for the Canucks.

"Talent Analysis(HF)

Okposo is a strong player who uses his body and his stickhandling to win battles in the corner and along the boards. Rarely does Okposo lose a one-on-one battle along the boards. Okposo’s stickhandling and his offensive awareness also help him win a lot of open-ice battles, and his ability maintain posession of the puck is second to none.

From a pure skills standpoint, Okposo has deceptive speed, but his skating still needs more polishing. His stick skills are high end. Not only is his stickhandling excellent, he has an excellent shot, whichever shot he takes, and can roof all of them from in close if needed. Most of Okposo’s goals are scored crashing the net with the puck and fighting through checks.

Okposo has the defensive awareness to be a regular on the  penalty kill, and also uses his power to throw out a big check. Still, his greatest strength is as a highly talented offensive player and a responsible player defensively second."

This guy plays a 'heavy" game.  Do it JB!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

From what we've seen of Benning's acquisitions, Okposo does it the mold -- good skater, "gets in on the forecheck", good along the boards and battles for the puck, and has a very good shot -- "can rip it".  Decent size and while maybe not a bruiser he isn't afraid to play physical, maybe akin to Etem's game?

Considering how much money we'll have to spend, I don't mind paying him market value+ and locking him up, then getting perhaps one UFA veteran defenceman.  Hamhuis will cost if we keep him, but other than that we don't have any pricey RFAs to re-sign -- Baertschi will probably be the most expensive at $2-3mil per.  No need to spend it all, and JB has already identified that some teams will be in cap trouble and we may be able to give them some "Ehrhoff assistance".  Next year we're getting another $15mil or so as well.

2 hours ago, TheCammer said:

TWIN TOWERS!!! Will definitely be a different look than the Canucks back end the last couple of years.

Why do you see them on the same line? I don't. 

I think Pedan(L) will go with Tanev(R) and Hamhuis/Hutton(L) with Tryampkin.(R)

44 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

I don't think Pedan not being recalled sooner is a sign of the Canucks not being impressed with him. I think they've kept him down for the Comets success and his growth playing important minutes.

But the main reason is he plays on the side (left) the Canucks are strongest.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why do you see them on the same line? I don't. 

I think it's just about the spectacle, like having Subban with one of them.  Makes no sense to put two similar players together, especially when they are both by far the most physical.  Just like we wouldn't pair up Subban and Larsen.

Archived