The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Avalanche March 16th 7pm

86Viking

All we need to see from him through the rest of the season is that he plays well enough to not CLEARLY be unable to play in this league. 

This one game won't dictate that. He can't hurt his stock tonight, as everyone will understand he is just getting adjusted, but he could definitely help his outlook by being decent. 

Anyway, severely tempered expectations tonight. Low minutes, low impact, a few really bad plays, and a couple of really promising looks. That's about it. 

Still in it to win....Matthews.  Need a well fought loss.  Canucks are currently 24th, 7 points up on last place Toronto.  Top 3 pick this year DRASTICALLY changes our franchise next year.  Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi would instantly become our best prospect and all 3 are expected to be able to step in and contribute immediately. 

5 pts separates us from 2nd last Oilers...let's get below them to give them a worse chance at getting yet another #1.

1 minute ago, PLOGUE said:

Still in it to win....Matthews.  Need a well fought loss.  Canucks are currently 24th, 7 points up on last place Toronto.  Top 3 pick this year DRASTICALLY changes our franchise next year.  Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi would instantly become our best prospect and all 3 are expected to be able to step in and contribute immediately. 

5 pts separates us from 2nd last Oilers...let's get below them to give them a worse chance at getting yet another #1.

Now is the only time this franchise will cheer for McDavid.

11 minutes ago, theminister said:

All we need to see from him through the rest of the season is that he plays well enough to not CLEARLY be unable to play in this league. 

This one game won't dictate that. He can't hurt his stock tonight, as everyone will understand he is just getting adjusted, but he could definitely help his outlook by being decent. 

Anyway, severely tempered expectations tonight. Low minutes, low impact, a few really bad plays, and a couple of really promising looks. That's about it. 

I believe there are a lot of us that are truly just excited to see the big guy play, no expectations, just excitement :) 

16 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I believe there are a lot of us that are truly just excited to see the big guy play, no expectations, just excitement :) 

I'm completely confident that the vast majority of people will take it all in stride. 

My comment was more directed for the vocal minority who overreact to every small sample size. They twist in the wind and then set a bad example for the young and impressionable on this site. 

Because, inevitably, the same small group freak out as they always do so that the pitchfork brigade can jump right in and say things like, "everyone thought," "CDC said" and "homers."

It's a cycle we've all experienced multiple times, and I'm just trying to help get out in front of it. 

27 minutes ago, theminister said:

Heading to the game tonight (thanks brother in law - i guess this means I'm still in the good books) and all I want to see is his skating and if he's able to use his reach to disrupt the play. I don't need him to be perfect or steamroll the league in 1 game. 

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

I don't think there's that much pressure on this guy right now. Anyone expecting him to come in and dominate in any way (including physically) has rocks in their head. The excitement for now is that he represents something new. People will see that's he's a project and this is going to take some time. But like all other parts of the youth movement, it's something to focus on for the future and watch what is hopefully good progress.

I agree, but it's gone past the point of no return. I can't remember a time that this fan base has been so over the top for a prospect's first game. Probably not since Bure and just because the guy is 6'7. Height isn't everything people...

2 hours ago, oooldman said:

There has been so much hoopla surrounding Tryamkin due to his size.  The pressure on this young man is tremendous and most certainly unfair and unrealistic.  We need to cool our jets a bit and give this guy a chance to adjust.  My fear is that he will be totally embarrassed this evening and retreat back to the KHL never to return.  Hopefully, the player and management will be able to convince him otherwise.  Yesterday's bag skate illustrated that his conditioning level is not up to NHL standards.  Any thinking student of the game was not surprised.  When you combine that shortcoming with the "time and space" issue and the language thing, the potential for disaster is huge.  It's my hope that Willie will limit his ice time tonight and pick his spots to protect him.  All the above is not to say that this fellow doesn't have potential because he does.  

I don't think you have to worry. He couldn't be in better hands than Willie D.

Personally I think Tryampkin is smart. He will keep it simple and take it as he finds it. The KHL is maybe not the NHL but it's better than the A.

I'm hugely excited. Especially if Pedan gets slotted in tonight. I don't expect those two to be paired, I just want to see how the defense changes with such a drastic injection of size. 

Both players have already demonstrated considerable physical strength and above average skating for men of their size. 

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Have some respect. The guy never sucked, that's BS and he took a career ending cheap shot injury while in a Canucks jersey.

It sucks he had a concussion and had to leave the league that way. But his best year was 13 points, and he was a 6th rounder. Three teams gave up on him, he was a stay at home defender that was too slow of foot to be effective. He wasn't Willie Mitchell, at least he had good positioning, that's for sure. 

Archived