The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's negotiation skills are downright horrible

Drakrami

Below signings are quite telling. 

Dorsett old contract 1.6milper/ new contract 2.65milper

Sbisa old contract 2.2milper/ new contract 3.6milper

Sutter old contract 3.3milper/ new contract 4.4milper

So at every turn, instead of using the power of negotiation, Benning gives out candies. It is not like the above 3 players are talented youth or pillars of the team either, they are just average role players. I dont even bother mentioning Benning's trade history.

Benning really needs to learn how to negotiate better if he even dreams of bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver. 

14 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

So at every turn, instead of using the power of negotiation, Benning gives out candies. It is not like the above 3 players are talented youth or pillars of the team either, they are just average role players. I dont even bother mentioning Benning's trade history.

Benning really needs to learn how to negotiate better if he even dreams of bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver. 

Yeah Baertschi for a second was a downright steal for Calgary!!  Fire Benning now!!  And Sutter is now just an average role player??   Didn't realize 20 goal centre's who are great two way players and can play in all situations are considered average role players these days.

You got me on the Sbisa contract though, I have no comeback for that!!  Lol!!  Maybe JB was drinking that day??  It is a stressful job you know.  I'll give him a mulligan on that one. 

37 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

It's easy. When you want to type...

...don't.

Dorsett is a good energy guy, got quite a bit of term so I think most agree the cap hit should have been under 2m. Benning can claim another GM called him and said that was a good signing and they would key word WOULD have offered him more as a FA.

Dorsett is a 4th liner, realistically he should be making 1.9m. That would have been a 300k raise which may not sound like much...but wait the 4 year TERM is guaranteed $ for the player. So yes he is overpaid.

Sbisa- I thought it would be sub 3m to re sign him, last year he did NOT have a good year, so the big pay raise was an eye opener for me. 3.6m, has some grit, can play both sides. Well we have a ton of D, If we keep Edler and go after a D via trade or FA Sbisa is all but assured bottom pair duties... cant have 3.6m on 3rd pair imo. I think Sbisa is an asset you package with a Vey type player at the draft.

Sutter- too injured to tell, but he was good for us in his shortened injury plagued inaugral year. RH C, good 2 way skill, PK, looked good with the Twins. Not a physical guy, but a 2 way C going rate is 4-7m so 4.4m is not horrible, lets hope the term he got favours us with many years of good play.

Be interesting to see if JB tries to lock up  Hutton long term this summer, I would been super impressed. Also Sven has be great lately wouldnt mind see him get a deal with some term, just hope we do realize he is not yet a 20g guy so his cap hit should NOT be ridiculous imo. Hopefully he doesnt want a bridge deal to get him to UFA status

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

You know so much more than Canucks management, I am amazed you aren't one of the 30 GM's in the NHL!  Sbisa has a lot of upside, Dorsett's gritt factor is through the roof, and a healthy Sutter is exactly what this team needs as it transitions to the post-Sedins era.  Your thread is not new, nor is it defensible.  Go attack some other team.

23 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

The thread is downright horrible

Hey, this could become the next, "Burrows: Do We Really Need Him?" thread.

Or not.

Otherwise, the Giants look like they have addressed their left field concerns, but I'm still not happy with their pitching situation.

regards,  G.

46 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Yeah Baertschi for a second was a downright steal for Calgary!!  Fire Benning now!!  And Sutter is now just an average role player??   Didn't realize 20 goal centre's who are great two way players and can play in all situations are considered average role players these days.

You got me on the Sbisa contract though, I have no comeback for that!!  Lol!!  Maybe JB was drinking that day??  It is a stressful job you know.  I'll give him a mulligan on that one. 

I think the OP's point is primarily about salary negotiations, not about evaluation of prospects (like Baertschi). I think is pretty consensus on CDC and among the hockey community generally that Benning is good at evaluating prospects. I also think that many people believe that Benning has done a bad job of negotiating contracts. Certainly that is my opinion. I know I am repeating myself as I have made this comment in other threads, but Benning does not seem to "get" the salary cap.

I would also complain about the Miller contract and the Vrbata contract. I am not saying Miller is a bad goalie. Since starting with the Canucks his numbers a close to average for an NHL starter (a little below). That is a high standard. The problem is that the cap hit is much too high.

As for Vrby, he had a very first year and a very disappointing second year. However, I would say that his combined total over two years is pretty close to the overall expected value and 5 million a year is too much for that output. Yes, he is a skilled player, but once you have talked about his ability to score goals you have pretty much covered his value. He is small, soft, not particularly fast, and not particularly good defensively.

It seems pretty clear (partly from what Gilman has said) that Gilman he and Benning had some disagreements. I think firing Gilman was a big mistake. Benning needed to hear that kind of criticism instead of just surrounding himself with yes-men.

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

The sad thing is we aren't handing out NTC's like candy anymore and we still can't get returns for our assets.

Just for clarification, of which assets are you speaking? 

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Hey, this could become the next, "Burrows: Do We Really Need Him?" thread.

Or not.

Otherwise, the Giants look like they have addressed their left field concerns, but I'm still not happy with their pitching situation.

regards,  G.

The "Burrows do we really need him?" thread is like winning the lotto max for trolls. Every troll thread posted wants to be that thread. 

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It seems pretty clear (partly from what Gilman has said) that Gilman he and Benning had some disagreements. I think firing Gilman was a big mistake. Benning needed to hear that kind of criticism instead of just surrounding himself with yes-men.

Agreed:  I didn't like the trades JB made last summer but in retrospect, dumping Gilman may have been the worst move.  Not many organizations are smart enough to truly value dissenting opinions, though. 

While I agree with the sbisa, dorsett contracts being bad. Sutter at 4-4.5 is right on the money. Guy is a key player for this team. He's kesler light defensively and can pot some goals for us. As we found out this year, we really need him in the lineup.

Those guys would have made just as much if not more on the open market.  They don't kill the Canucks cap wise either so why people gripe about it is beyond me.  They are good people that work hard that are being fairly paid.  

I would sure love to work for someone that tries to nickle and dime whatever they can out of you.........

Archived