The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

It's not like the Canucks were trying to tank this season.. but with the injury piling up and secondary scoring literally non existent.. we are pretty much there at the bottom anyways.. might as well go for it and get yourself a top 3 pick.. maybe we luck out and get a Matthew.. who knows... maybe it'll spark the team to be more competitive next year.. i mean how often can you have a chance of playing for the lottery pick without even trying like Toronto with a full AHL lineup

think of it this way.. if matthew is really as good as ppl say and he can step in and contribute.. maybe not to a McDavid level.. but have like a similar impact like Mckinnon's first year.. next year the team could be interesting if we really do end up adding something like a eriksson or lucic... although the defense will still be a little bit suspect but on paper the team will look for better offensively than what we have now... 

from the team's financial stand point.. if we end up getting matthews.. it'll sell tickets and hope for the future.. i dunno if the other players in this years draft can have the same effect

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You're simplifying success down to much.  It's has so very little to do with top 5 vs non top 5 pick.

And this argument has been done over and over. 

A top 5 pick is one of the pre-requisites to a cup. The idea that anyone thinks it is the only requirement is nothing more than weak anti tank propaganda.

First off people have to realize the understanding of X in 2006 does not = X in 2007.  A 3rd overall does not have the same value every year.  It fluctuates greatly unless you are going to say Toews and Barker are at the same level.    Since X does not = X , the solution to winning a cup cannot be having X, as the value of X is never the same. 

X in 2006 might have translated into helping a team win a cup but X in 2009 has translated into 0 playoff games.

This is widely accepted to be an exceptional year for elite Top 3 talent, at least! (I say Top 4, at least)

Also just because the majority of evidence shows us that most birds fly, doesn’t mean the statement that birds fly is true.  Not all birds do fly, just as not all top 5 picks win a cup (less than 10% do),  therefor the statement that we “Need” a top 5 pick hold about as much value as saying we need 3 players that have the letter A in their last names.

I fully understand what you are trying to say, but it is a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. I will say this...If you change Top 5  to Top 3, only 2 teams in history have won the cup, and the above paragraph can be intuitively rebutted. (lots of teams don't have top 3 picks) As a rule Top 3 is what a tank team should try for.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You can dwell on Detroit all you like but they are an exception. What the WIngs did with their drafting was in an era where 'boots on the ground' counted for a lot. Many NHL teams, like the Canucks, did not spend that kind of money. That era has kinda ended as most teams are much better scouting and evaluation. Quality drafting is the backbone of any serious CUP contender IMHO. The higher the picks the safer that option becomes. I totally agree that the best option is to integrate these draft picks into an org that can develop their talent in a manner that eventually sees them play in the NHL. There are no guarantees and some of these players will not make it.

As much as team success is about skills and prospect depth it is also about culture. IMO Benning/Linden have a good handle in what it takes to create a winning atmosphere. Anyone who thinks this rebuild can happen without struggle and yes losses really don't have a clear idea what it takes. So I am a 'tanker' but I do not think a single top pick will be the savior of the Canucks. I am sure that Vancouver will hit some home runs as their prospect pool deepens. The development time line of this current roster suggests that next year will be another tough go. Canucks could easily be drafting in the top 5 next year as well.

I agree with what you say. Culture is the key. That's what Detroit has over most teams, a winning culture. It's not just about high draft picks or even lower picks its about developing  these players in a winning culture. 

Detroit is a perfect model for competing every year and finding good talent in later rounds and developing that talent. On the flip side Edmonton is the perfect model for tanking every year, acquiring high draft picks and sticking them into a losing culture and thus stunt, if not destroy, their development. 

The reason why Benning did not want to publicly state they are tanking is that they actually tried to rebuild on the fly. If not for all the injuries we did have a shot at the playoffs. But now that we're at the bottom we can select s potential franchise player. The losing sucks though. When the Sedins are calling out the rookies for poor play you know there is a problem. Hopefully the Sedins put these kids in their place so a losing culture doesn't develop. 

I dont foresee another year like this year next year. It could happen but I don't think it will. We had to go through some short term pain here. Hopefully the worst will be over this year. 

23 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

they look like children,.. draft a MAN. chychrun is 214 pounds allready.. YES PLEASE

The Kids turned out pretty darn good. Thank god we got them cause it would've been a long past 15 years. Unless U feel P.Stefan or P.Brendl would've been better...

2 minutes ago, hearditall said:

?

1? Seguin in his rookie year?

Boston only made it to the final coz the ref gifted them game 7 against Tampa Bay lol.. if you watch the game.. please tell me how there's 0 penalty called in that game when some were SOOOOO obvious.. i guess it make sense when the son of your boss plays on one of the team

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Boston only made it to the final coz the ref gifted them game 7 against Tampa Bay lol.. if you watch the game.. please tell me how there's 0 penalty called in that game when some were SOOOOO obvious.. i guess it make sense when the son of your boss plays on one of the team

and at that time Seguin was NOT the reason they won the cup. 

My point on this was that we don't need numerous amounts of #1 or #2 picks to win the Cup like ALF seems to think...

1 minute ago, hearditall said:

My point on this was that we don't need numerous amounts of #1 or #2 picks to win the Cup like ALF seems to think...

Since we've never had a #1 pick, I'd like to experience that feeling just one time..... this year. I'm not greedy :bigblush:

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Thanks for this.  I have often said we weren't the only ones screwed that year.

5 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Yes he was the reason.  And you only need one, numerous is better.

we don't need numerous but history shows that you'd be better off to have at least 1 vs 0, Sedins will be gone in a couple of years and that'll leave us with 0, how many legitimate contender for the cup each year have less than 1 top 3 pick playing a significant role? maybe or 2 per year? this year probably Anaheim and St Louis? but both only have multiple super stars to make up for it..

I honestly can't believe we're literally 2 points from last place. I looked at our schedule and was like there is no way we finish any worse than 6th. Now I am I like wow we can actually finish in last place. TORONTO could pass us. That would just be pathetic.

Archived