The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

Scoreboard watching - March 22nd.

If Winnipeg wins in regulation tonight, we'll be sitting in 3rd last! If Winnipeg and Edmonton win, we'll be in 2nd last! Mind you, Edmonton has played 4 more games than us...so they'll be tough to drop past in the standings, but you never know!

Also...go Phili! As they're taking on Columbus. Aaaaand...go Montreal, as they're playing Anaheim and the more games Anaheim loses, the better our 2nd round pick will be (Bieksa trade).

Hmmm...what else? Go Buffalo! They're playing Carolina tonight and are currently 2 points ahead of us but have played 2 more games.

That's about it for tonight. Who knew scoreboard watching could be so much fun haha.

Tune in tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Scoreboard watching - March 22nd.

If Winnipeg wins in regulation tonight, we'll be sitting in 3rd last! If Winnipeg and Edmonton win, we'll be in 2nd last! Mind you, Edmonton has played 4 more games than us...so they'll be tough to drop past in the standings, but you never know!

Also...go Phili! As they're taking on Columbus. Aaaaand...go Montreal, as they're playing Anaheim and the more games Anaheim loses, the better our 2nd round pick will be (Bieksa trade).

Hmmm...what else? Go Buffalo! They're playing Carolina tonight and are currently 2 points ahead of us but have played 2 more games.

That's about it for tonight. Who knew scoreboard watching could be so much fun haha.

Tune in tomorrow!

Only a Canucks freefall/tank could have me caring about the result of a Buffalo vs Carolina game.

Question for the Maths/Techie types.

I understand that the lottery is loaded according to how low each team finishes. This is to avoid the lowest team automatically getting the highest draft pick.

My question is how are the mechanics of the "loading" physically achieved?

A match made in heaven for the Canucks.

A multi-dimensional energy winger that plays a pro-style, adaptive game. Well-versed as a guy who can consistently put up points, but also as an agitator who plays with a little bit of bite and nastiness. Skates with excellent balance and speed, outclassing many in his age range. No lack of offensive instincts and knows how to score in many different ways. Confidence in his abilities and playing to the extent of his capabilities strengthens his work ethic and creativity. All-in-all, a unique and effective forward who defines his own limits and seeks to exceed them, along with all on-ice expectations. 

27 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Question for the Maths/Techie types.

I understand that the lottery is loaded according to how low each team finishes. This is to avoid the lowest team automatically getting the highest draft pick.

My question is how are the mechanics of the "loading" physically achieved?

Do you mean how the lottery works?  This video explains it.

Basically, there are 14 lotto balls numbered 1 to 14. They draw a 4 number combination to determine the winner.  There are 1001 combinations that are possible. However, one combination 11,12,13 and 14 is designated as a redraw so you are left with a nice round number of 1000 combinations. Each team is assigned X number of combinations based on the percentage they are given, so the last place team would get 200 combinations or 20%.  Once the winning combination is drawn, they then match up that combination to the team that owns that combination. The NHL publishes the combinations each team gets before the lottery. You can see last year's here.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/NHL-Lottery-2015-Look-Up-Table-Alpha-by-Team.pdf

I'm not exactly sure how it works for the new lottery for 2nd and 3rd overall. I would assume that after the 1st overall is drawn then that team's combinations get redistributed to the rest of the teams.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

A match made in heaven for the Canucks.

A multi-dimensional energy winger that plays a pro-style, adaptive game. Well-versed as a guy who can consistently put up points, but also as an agitator who plays with a little bit of bite and nastiness. Skates with excellent balance and speed, outclassing many in his age range. No lack of offensive instincts and knows how to score in many different ways. Confidence in his abilities and playing to the extent of his capabilities strengthens his work ethic and creativity. All-in-all, a unique and effective forward who defines his own limits and seeks to exceed them, along with all on-ice expectations. 

Matthew Tkachuk?

Is that who we're taking?

5 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Do you mean how the lottery works?  This video explains it.

Basically, there are 14 lotto balls numbered 1 to 14. They draw a 4 number combination to determine the winner.  There are 1001 combinations that are possible. However, one combination 11,12,13 and 14 is designated as a redraw so you are left with a nice round number of 1000 combinations. Each team is assigned X number of combinations based on the percentage they are given, so the last place team would get 200 combinations or 20%.  Once the winning combination is drawn, they then match up that combination to the team that owns that combination. The NHL publishes the combinations each team gets before the lottery. You can see last year's here.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/NHL-Lottery-2015-Look-Up-Table-Alpha-by-Team.pdf

This was the bit I was interested in FireGillis.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Matthew Tkachuk?

Is that who we're taking?

You got it in one DN.

I personally think that if we don't get Matthews then Tkachuk is the player with all the attributes we need to start changing our perceived image.

If I had been sitting down and making a list of the qualities I would want in a forward for this team going forward, then if that scouting report is accurate, he covers most of them. 

Obviously JB might see it differently

21 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You got it in one DN.

I personally think that if we don't get Matthews then Tkachuk is the player with all the attributes we need to start changing our perceived image.

If I had been sitting down and making a list of the qualities I would want in a forward for this team going forward, then if that scouting report is accurate, he covers most of them. 

Obviously JB might see it differently

For me it's Matthews or Laine.

If we can't get those two, I'd be happy if we took Tkachuk over Puljujarvi or Chychrun. 

He's got some serious bloodlines and the work ethic to become an even better player. Based on how we're building the future so far with Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, and Boeser, I think Tkachuk would fit into that mould perfectly.

What a night for scoreboard watching!! The stars were aligned. 

I mean, man do we ever suck...and we may very well be crap again next year but let's worry about that later. After all, a potential franchise player in this year's draft, a solid summer from JB and a summer of good, hard training for the young guys and we'll be a lot better off than we are today. 

Solid day I say!

On 2016-03-21 at 7:22 PM, Gollumpus said:

Indeed, fair enough. As long as you realize that this is the same scenario that played out in cities like Chicago (3rd OA in 2006, and 1st OA in 2007, followed by SC in 2010, 2013 and 2015), LA (2nd OA in 2008, SC in 2012 and 2014).or Pittsburgh (1st OA in 2005, SC in 2009). 

Why do you mention Buffalo as a bad situation since they are for all intents and purposes looking like they are going to be a good re-build, certainly better than the eternal re-build that is Edmonton.

Did you notice the time periods involved in the cities I mentioned? They are in the range of 4 - 5 years. Arguably the Canucks are anywhere from year one to two of their own re-build (depending on whether you want to count last year). The Canucks will be back in the playoffs. Give it a bit of time before you claim that Canucks' fans are being sold a bill of goods. Yeesh.

regards,  G.

Buffalo seems like a good rebuild?? Where do you see that? You focus on the high draft picks of 3 clubs. Every year 5 teams have the top 5 picks and how many end up with the cup a few years later.\? Sure there are success stories. Did I notice the time periods involved?? Yes: Chicago made the playoffs ONCE in the 10 seasons before they made they became a contender (2008-9), are you ready for that? And that is one of your success stories! Pittsburgh missed the playoffs for 7 out of 8 years before they won the cup. It is not a matter of 3-4 years!!! (LA missed the playoffs 6 years in a row!)

On 3/20/2016 at 9:44 AM, Warhippy said:

If Arizona is picking top 5 and we win the 1st overall

I still dangle Matthews to them for a massive ransom.  Draft our D man with their 1st round this year and enjoy Strome or Domi in to our lineup as well

TBH, I'd rather keep Matthews. Guy looks like he could be a franchise player

I am going to have to revise my prediction for the second time this season. Last nights game against the Jets have me convinced. We are not going around 500 the rest of the way. Man was that game ugly.

Coming into this season, I figured we just miss the playoffs and pick around 13th/14th. My first revision, I figured it was going to be a top 10 pick, around 8th overall. Now it is looking like a top 5 pick. Have we ever fallen.

I am going to have to revise my prediction for the second time this season. Last nights game against the Jets have me convinced. We are not going around 500 the rest of the way. Man was that game ugly.

Coming into this season, I figured we just miss the playoffs and pick around 13th/14th. My first revision, I downgraded my prediction to a top 10 pick, around 8th overall. Now it is looking like a top 5 pick. Have we ever fallen.

REALLY proud of our boys.

Just read on HFBoards..last time a team was shut out 4 straight games, was in 1928!! Thought it might have happened more?

Hard to believe it's true. Our brand of suckage, may be unparalleled in almost NINE decades. We're raisin' the bar here.

edit: Of course, this would be from a blanking in Nashville.

Archived