The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't get the zombie metaphor.  We are all, at some level, zombies.  You do realize that.  

The Twins - IMHAO - deserve to finally have a true power forward, who will stand up for them.  Getting Lucic will provide that.  However, it will also lead us to the middle of the pack too quickly, so we don't draft high enough (like this year) to get elite skill.  Yet, watching the Twins continue to have to put up with the crap they do is frustrating to watch.  If they move on to a team that provides them the protection they deserve, it's better for the Canuck's future than us signing Lucic.  Then we can see the Twins succeed (albeit on another team) while we pick at the top of the draft and properly rebuild.

A zombie is someone dead that comes back. The Sedins moving on is an idea that has been brought up endless number of times and has been shot dead every time. Yet, just when you think that the idea is finally truly dead, someone brings it back to live. A true zombie!

6 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Do fans realize what a con job that is. The team stinks. Management has failed. But guess what, fans should now cheer for losses! Isn't that perfect! Now suddenly, management has succeeded. Like in Toronto where fans seem happy this year versus past years without any more team success. It's the ultimate con job: make fans believe that losing is actually good! Don't worry about the playoffs, focus on the draft lottery! We have become as stupid as the fans in Edmonton with the #1 draft pick banners!

Plz stop posting

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Exactly. You would do it for the fans if for no other reason. 

If Matthews proves to be another "generational talent that has the potential to develop into a top flight franchise centre."

how would our fans feel if we had to watch him cutting us to ribbons. 

There are generational talents every year now? Mcdavid is a generational talent, by definition, this means that there will be no other equivalent talent until your children are fans. Matthews is excellent but he is not a generational talent. No chance. There was Gretsky, the Lemieux, then Crosby and now McDavid. Lots of other greats in between but not the same.

5 minutes ago, bluesman60 said:

You do realise that Vancouver has less than 0.06% chance of making the playoffs and the odds of them getting past LA with 7 rookies in the lineup are astronomical

Exactly. This team is a failure. Management has failed, as I said. But management has totally succeeded in changing the end game: now losses are to be cheered. They take the fans for total fools. Fans in Vancouver are now excited by the draft lottery! Like the fans in Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton... Do you think fans in Chicago, or Washington, or LA , or Anaheim,  give a rat's ass about the draft lottery?

Just now, coastal1 said:

There are generational talents every year now? Mcdavid is a generational talent, by definition, this means that there will be no other equivalent talent until your children are fans. Matthews is excellent but he is not a generational talent. No chance. There was Gretsky, the Lemieux, then Crosby and now McDavid. Lots of other greats in between but not the same.

Fair enough but until they have all played for a few years no one really knows which will be the real "generational talent" 

I was only quoting Curtis Joe on Eliteprospects.

I dont see any circumstance where the Canucks get an offer thatll outweigh the addition of a potential franchise center.  Especially one with size and makes his paycheque protecting the puck, winning boards battles, and finishing.  He immediately becomes the poster boy for the franchise.

Only way they move that pick is if someone drastically over pays...  Like top pairing D under 25 + top 10 pick + top prospect....  Phoenix will not move OEL.  Im sure theyd consider throwing interesting offers like Strome, 1st, +...  But at the end of the day, players like this are extremely hard to come by, and he'd be a ELC instantly in the top 6, allowing the Canucks to use their 20M of cap space elsewhere.

Lucic - Matthews - Eriksson

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Etem

Dorsett

Vey

Edler - Goligoski

Hutton - Tanev

Hamhuis - Tyramkin

Sbisa

Pedan

Miller

Marky mark

That is a playoff roster.

Just now, alfstonker said:

Fair enough but until they have all played for a few years no one really knows which will be the real "generational talent" 

I was only quoting Curtis Joe on Eliteprospects.

Matthews is an excellent prospect. He lead his junior team to a solid bronze at the WJC.

5 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Matthews could be a generational talent....he could be better than McDavid but until he plays in the NHL a statement 'if he proves to be a generational talent' is valid.

A zombie is someone dead that comes back. The Sedins moving on is an idea that has been brought up endless number of times and has been shot dead every time. Yet, just when you think that the idea is finally truly dead, someone brings it back to live. A true zombie!

I think you need to research zombie.  It's the mindless following (mindless drones, who are easily controlled) that started the genre.  We are all zombies, who mindlessly follow the path society chooses for us.  The idea of the Twins moving on has been discussed before, with that I agree.  However, their moving on might be the only way both them and the Canucks can attain respective goals? 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get back to the middle too quickly during a rebuild, are we going to miss getting enough elite skill?  Do we really have any elite skill in our prospects yet?  We should get one this draft, but if we sign guys who get us back to the middle, where do we get more elite skill?

What guarantee is there of getting Elite skill every year? U have to draft #1 or #2 to get that and not always . Are we really going to be the worst team in the NHL for the next few years just to maybe possibly not get those 2 picks. 

Also many great players go after the top 2 or top 5 or even top 10 EVERY YEAR. 

Six year sample:

2008 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2008&team=&position=&round=    

2010 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2010&team=&position=&round=

2011 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2011&team=&position=&round=

2012 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2012&team=&position=&round=

2013 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2013&team=&position=&round=

2014 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2014&team=&position=&round=

I agree that U do need 1 or 2 top 5 picks every 10 years or so but after that U need to Scout, Develop, Trade & UFA's as well.

1 minute ago, bluesman60 said:

Matthews could be a generational talent....he could be better than McDavid but until he plays in the NHL a statement 'if he proves to be a generational talent' is valid.

Could be yes. Yes, he could become the player that he has not shown to be yet. Did he dominate the WJC last year? But I am not going to stand here and tell you that I know the future. He could. Extremely unlikely but possible, yes. Other dreams that you want to share?

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Edmonton has less points in more games played and people think we'll finish lower than them pre-lottery? I guess it's a possibility. But are we that bad?

Well, two of their remaining games are against the Canucks. Should Edmonton win those then yeah, the Canucks have a good shot to finish lower, and maybe even wind up in 30th spot.  I suppose it ultimately comes down to just how badly Toronto does when it comes to that "honour".

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you need to research zombie.  It's the mindless following (mindless drones, who are easily controlled) that started the genre.  We are all zombies, who mindlessly follow the path society chooses for us.  The idea of the Twins moving on has been discussed before, with that I agree.  However, their moving on might be the only way both them and the Canucks can attain respective goals? 

Let me say it again for you: the Sedins will retire as Canucks. It's done as a topic. No point bringing it up. Dead issue.  The Sedins are like Yzerman not like that clown Jagr.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, two of their remaining games are against the Canucks. Should Edmonton win those then yeah, the Canucks have a good shot to finish lower, and maybe even wind up in 30th spot.  I suppose it ultimately comes down to just how badly Toronto does when it comes to that "honour".

regards,  G.

The depth of analysis is staggering. The excitement is so real. Can we become the worst team in the league this year!! This is so great. Failure=success. The bizarro canucks!

Just now, coastal1 said:

The depth of analysis is staggering. The excitement is so real. Can we become the worst team in the league this year!! This is so great. Failure=success. The bizarro canucks!

Why thanks! I enjoy your positive and insightful posts as well. :)

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, hearditall said:

What guarantee is there of getting Elite skill every year? U have to draft #1 or #2 to get that and not always . Are we really going to be the worst team in the NHL for the next few years just to maybe possibly not get those 2 picks. 

Also many great players go after the top 2 or top 5 or even top 10 EVERY YEAR. 

Six year sample:

2008 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2008&team=&position=&round=    

2010 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2010&team=&position=&round=

2011 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2011&team=&position=&round=

2012 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2012&team=&position=&round=

2013 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2013&team=&position=&round=

2014 - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.htm?year=2014&team=&position=&round=

I agree that U do need 1 or 2 top 5 picks every 10 years or so but after that U need to Scout, Develop, Trade & UFA's as well.

Of course there are elite players drafted later, especially on D.  However, the CHANCES of getting elite skill are by far the highest at the top of round one.  That's where we got the Twins.  They are why we have had a successful ten season run.  We should have moved on after 2012, but with the fear of the end of times and all that, I guess the management had bigger issues: building a space ship etc.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Why thanks! I enjoy your positive and insightful posts as well. :)

regards,  G.

Fans cheering for losses, what can I say, it's the height of stupidity. All sanity is gone. Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver. We belong now!!

Exactly. This team is a failure. Management has failed, as I said. But management has totally succeeded in changing the end game: now losses are to be cheered. They take the fans for total fools. Fans in Vancouver are now excited by the draft lottery! Like the fans in Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton... Do you think fans in Chicago, or Washington, or LA , or Anaheim,  give a rat's ass about the draft lottery?

I do not see this team as a failure at all. Benning and Linden made the decision to play the young players and give them a chance to grow their game. This is part of becoming a winning team, they have to play and have a chance to try things, make mistakes and learn from those miscues. This also gives Benning, Linden and Willie D. a chance to see what they have to work with. This rebuild takes time and getting a high draft pick or two is all part of the process. I am enjoying watching the young guys develop and yes I am embracing the draft but I am also accepting the process.

People bitched about trading Schneider and getting Horvat, drafting Virtanen etc but now they are starting to enjoy these moves because they know that the prospect pool was ultra thin....Benning and Linden have done a great job of the rebuild so far.

And yes the fans in Chicago, LA, Washington and Anahiem do care about the draft....having a winning team allows them to put less emphasis on the draft but they all would love to have Matthews in their lineup.

Archived