The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Of course there are elite players drafted later, especially on D.  However, the CHANCES of getting elite skill are by far the highest at the top of round one.  That's where we got the Twins.  They are why we have had a successful ten season run.  We should have moved on after 2012, but with the fear of the end of times and all that, I guess the management had bigger issues: building a space ship etc.  :lol:

They are why we have had a successful ten season run.  Can you tell us how many playoff series we won in that succcessful ten season run? Of course we know how many cups, but how many series wins??

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

They are why we have had a successful ten season run.  Can you tell us how many playoff series we won in that succcessful ten season run? Of course we know how many cups, but how many series wins??

You make a good point.  There was no playoff success, except 2011.  

3 minutes ago, bluesman60 said:

I do not see this team as a failure at all. Benning and Linden made the decision to play the young players and give them a chance to grow their game. This is part of becoming a winning team, they have to play and have a chance to try things, make mistakes and learn from those miscues. This also gives Benning, Linden and Willie D. a chance to see what they have to work with. This rebuild takes time and getting a high draft pick or two is all part of the process. I am enjoying watching the young guys develop and yes I am embracing the draft but I am also accepting the process.

People bitched about trading Schneider and getting Horvat, drafting Virtanen etc but now they are starting to enjoy these moves because they know that the prospect pool was ultra thin....Benning and Linden have done a great job of the rebuild so far.

And yes the fans in Chicago, LA, Washington and Anahiem do care about the draft....having a winning team allows them to put less emphasis on the draft but they all would love to have Matthews in their lineup.

Are you telling me that there is excitement about the draft lottery in Anaheim or Washington or Chicago? How did Anaheim keep their prospect pool rich while winning? We did not do that and that is what I call the failure of management. But if you like cheering for losses than fine.

6 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

There are generational talents every year now? Mcdavid is a generational talent, by definition, this means that there will be no other equivalent talent until your children are fans. Matthews is excellent but he is not a generational talent. No chance. There was Gretsky, the Lemieux, then Crosby and now McDavid. Lots of other greats in between but not the same.

I agree.

I take Matthews 1st no question, but I think there are some that dont realize how damn dominant Laine may become.  I always go with the center when its close, but also remember that Matthews is a year older than the Finns.  All top 3 players have top end goal scoring prowess.  Puljijarvi has a more rounded game than either player, but I expect all of them to be consistent 30-40 goal scorers.  

If the Canucks pick Laine and he plays with the twins....  He could score 30+ as a rookie.

14 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Could be yes. Yes, he could become the player that he has not shown to be yet. Did he dominate the WJC last year? But I am not going to stand here and tell you that I know the future. He could. Extremely unlikely but possible, yes. Other dreams that you want to share?

How about this nightmare....the Canucks do the unthinkable and actually make the playoffs and get swept 4 straight in the first round and draft 17th instead of 3rd overall. They draft a player with potential who doesn't develop as expected and is packaged to another team for a 37 year old plug who can provide team toughness.

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Are you telling me that there is excitement about the draft lottery in Anaheim or Washington or Chicago? How did Anaheim keep their prospect pool rich while winning? We did not do that and that is what I call the failure of management. But if you like cheering for losses than fine.

Its not exactly news that this franchise screwed itself.  Should we all consistently dwell on that?  Yeah....  we suck and need some stud prospects...  Only times in franchise history we drafted top 3 we got Linden, Nedved, and the Sedins....  So yeah, some of us are excited to get a player that could very well define this franchise for the next decade +.

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

I don't really care whether they win or lose at this point because the season is a writeoff. I enjoy watching the young guys score but I cringe when a vet scores because we are playing for draft position.

If they do win and make the playoffs, you will probably be one of the first to complain about the drafting record.

8 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Fans cheering for losses, what can I say, it's the height of stupidity. All sanity is gone. Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver. We belong now!!

Well, if you are under the assumption that I approve of current events then I must assure you that I would very much prefer that the Canucks were still in a serious playoff hunt (not just sniffing at possibly taking a wild card berth). This being said, I like to think that I am a realist, and as things change I look for that little ray of sunshine or silver lining, where-ever it may be.

I hope that the players try their best, because they are playing for their livelihoods and personal pride. but I believe they knew a while back they weren't going anywhere. This took the steam out of some of them and that's too bad. But we have seen a lot of progress and promise from some of the younger guys coming up, so this wilt is a good thing on that level.

The Canucks aren't going to be in the playoffs and I don't like it, but I accept it. Right now, the best thing for the Canucks (as a franchise)  is for them to finish with as poor a record as possible because that will provide them with a better chance at getting a higher pick. Should that be a top-3, or even the 1st OA, then that is something which (hopefully) will keep the Canucks out of this type of situation for the long future.

So yeah, Go Canucks Go, but do the franchise a favour and don't go too hard.

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

You make a good point.  There was no playoff success, except 2011.  

There's more to building a cup contender than picking #1 all the time.

U have to Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's to fill the proper holes.  

Sure it helps to have a Doughty (#2), but after that it's been filled with the above. (Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's.)

Here's LA's OWN Draft picks on their current roster, which LA is a true LEGIT CUP CONTENDER:

D.Doughty- 2nd

D.Brown - 13th 

K.Clifford - 35th

A.Andreoff - 80th

D.Forbort - 15th

K.Gravel - 148th

D.King - 109th

A.Kopitar - 11th

T.Lewis - 17th

A.Martinez - 95th

M.Mersch - 110th

J.Nolan - 186th

T.Pearson - 30th

J.Quick - 72nd

N.Shore - 82nd

T.Toffoli - 47th 

J.Weal - 70th

Then after these guys they have filled in there holes via Trades or UFA's. (Lucic, Carter, Scuderi, Greene, Gaborik, Lecavalier, Schenn, Versteeg, etc, etc....)
Where's all the #1 or #2 must have draft picks???

7 hours ago, Devon Jade said:

June2211_Sedin_big.jpg

Let's hope Jim Benning pulls off a Brian Burke-calibre trade.

I'll be happy with either a Matthews+Tkatchuk or Laine+Puljujarvi combo.

Benning can't even pull off a decent trade lately so let's hope he doesn't trade the pick for Dubinsky and 5th or something dumb like that 

9 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Benning can't even pull off a decent trade lately so let's hope he doesn't trade the pick for Dubinsky and 5th or something dumb like that 

I mean...ok, he didn't take what he was offered for Hamhuis. I suppose you could hold that against him if you're part of the 'any asset is better than no asset' crowd. But depending on how bad the offer was, it may come back to bite JB in future if his fellow GMs know they can just lowball him and he'll eventually accept. I was as disappointed as anyone that Hamhuis wasn't traded but in hindsight, I understand his logic. 

Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with JBs track record with trades. What can you possibly say? "Oh, he should have traded a 3rd for Vey, not a 2nd" or "what was he thinking adding a 5th to the Kassian/Prust deal". It's like some people here think he should be hitting home run after home run with every trade he makes. That's not how it works folks. In fact, I'd argue that JB has been our best trading GM in quite a while. Have we already forgot about Gillis's hired guns? You know, David Booth and Keith Ballard! Or what about Nonis who couldn't make a trade to save his life? 

Ring a bell??

11 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I mean...ok, he didn't take what he was offered for Hamhuis. I suppose you could hold that against him if you're part of the 'any asset is better than no asset' crowd. But depending on how bad the offer was, it may come back to bite JB in future if his fellow GMs know they can just lowball him and he'll eventually accept. I was as disappointed as anyone that Hamhuis wasn't traded but in hindsight, I understand his logic. 

Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with JBs track record with trades. What can you possibly say? "Oh, he should have traded a 3rd for Vey, not a 2nd" or "what was he thinking adding a 5th to the Kassian/Prust deal". It's like some people here think he should be hitting home run after home run with every trade he makes. That's not how it works folks. In fact, I'd argue that JB has been our best trading GM in quite a while. Have we already forgot about Gillis's hired guns? You know, David Booth and Keith Ballard! Or what about Nonis who couldn't make a trade to save his life? 

Ring a bell??

Totally agree. Once other GM's know you will accept less than fair value you are done as a GM.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:
2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, if you are under the assumption that I approve of current events then I must assure you that I would very much prefer that the Canucks were still in a serious playoff hunt (not just sniffing at possibly taking a wild card berth). This being said, I like to think that I am a realist, and as things change I look for that little ray of sunshine or silver lining, where-ever it may be.

I hope that the players try their best, because they are playing for their livelihoods and personal pride. but I believe they knew a while back they weren't going anywhere. This took the steam out of some of them and that's too bad. But we have seen a lot of progress and promise from some of the younger guys coming up, so this wilt is a good thing on that level.

The Canucks aren't going to be in the playoffs and I don't like it, but I accept it. Right now, the best thing for the Canucks (as a franchise)  is for them to finish with as poor a record as possible because that will provide them with a better chance at getting a higher pick. Should that be a top-3, or even the 1st OA, then that is something which (hopefully) will keep the Canucks out of this type of situation for the long future.

So yeah, Go Canucks Go, but do the franchise a favour and don't go too hard.

regards,  G.

Fair enough. As long as you realize that this is the same scenario that is playing out in many other lame franchises. How many more years before Buffalo fans start thinking that they are sold a pipe dream? Edmonton fans are past that point now. Toronto fans will believe the crap that they are told for some years for sure. Vancouver fans? Where will they be after 5 yrars of missing the playoffs?

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

There's more to building a cup contender than picking #1 all the time.

U have to Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's to fill the proper holes.  

Sure it helps to have a Doughty (#2), but after that it's been filled with the above. (Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's.)

Here's LA's OWN Draft picks on their current roster, which LA is a true LEGIT CUP CONTENDER:

D.Doughty- 2nd

D.Brown - 13th 

K.Clifford - 35th

A.Andreoff - 80th

D.Forbort - 15th

K.Gravel - 148th

D.King - 109th

A.Kopitar - 11th

T.Lewis - 17th

A.Martinez - 95th

M.Mersch - 110th

J.Nolan - 186th

T.Pearson - 30th

J.Quick - 72nd

N.Shore - 82nd

T.Toffoli - 47th 

J.Weal - 70th

Then after these guys they have filled in there holes via Trades or UFA's. (Lucic, Carter, Scuderi, Greene, Gaborik, Lecavalier, Schenn, Versteeg, etc, etc....)
Where's all the #1 or #2 must have draft picks???

How did they get Carter?^_^

Archived