The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

If the Canucks are lucky enough to be in a position to draft Matthews I truly believe they should trade him to Arizona. Arizona would so covet the local boy being their franchise player that I believe they would agree to swap 1st round picks, trade OEL and one of Domi or Duclair to get him. Matthews would be a huge drawing card in Phoenix and would instantly make them a more financially viable franchise. My opinion only of course.

Im pretty sure we wouldn't get OEL if we have the 1st overall pick, let alone OEL, Arizonas 1st, and Domi/Duclair

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They traded Jack Johnson for him. Johnson was a 3rd overall pick by Carolina and L.A. acquired him for Eric Belanger and I believe Tim Gleason. The post of how L.A. was built is still valid.

Your post is fine.  We have the Twins (selected 2/3) Chicago has Kane and Toews (1/4) LA has Doughty and Kopitar 2/11) and they had a guy selected top three, which they moved to get Carter.  So one could correctly connect the dots.  Basically we need the HARDEST pieces to aquire: two elite players.  Our chances of getting those two guys increases the higher we draft.  IMHAO.

5 minutes ago, Gretzky to Lemieux said:

Im pretty sure we wouldn't get OEL if we have the 1st overall pick, let alone OEL, Arizonas 1st, and Domi/Duclair

You may be right. As a straight hockey trade I can easily accept that Arizona would be over paying for Matthews. However, from a business perspective based on purely dollars and cents, I think Arizona would be willing to over pay for Matthews knowing the number of bums he would put in the seats. OEL is a very good player but he does not do this for them and I believe they are desperate for someone they can market like Matthews.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your post is fine.  We have the Twins (selected 2/3) Chicago has Kane and Toews (1/4) LA has Doughty and Kopitar 2/11) and they had a guy selected top three, which they moved to get Carter.  So one could correctly connect the dots.  Basically we need the HARDEST pieces to aquire: two elite players.  Our chances of getting those two guys increases the higher we draft.  IMHAO.

The point is that L.A. has Doughty and Kopitar selected 2nd and 11th but Carter was obtained via a trade that had nothing to do with L.A. using a high draft pick of their own to obtain him, directly or indirectly. L.A. has built their team with only having a 2nd and 11th overall as high draft picks.

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

Fair enough. As long as you realize that this is the same scenario that is playing out in many other lame franchises. How many more years before Buffalo fans start thinking that they are sold a pipe dream? Edmonton fans are past that point now. Toronto fans will believe the crap that they are told for some years for sure. Vancouver fans? Where will they be after 5 yrars of missing the playoffs?

Indeed, fair enough. As long as you realize that this is the same scenario that played out in cities like Chicago (3rd OA in 2006, and 1st OA in 2007, followed by SC in 2010, 2013 and 2015), LA (2nd OA in 2008, SC in 2012 and 2014).or Pittsburgh (1st OA in 2005, SC in 2009). 

Why do you mention Buffalo as a bad situation since they are for all intents and purposes looking like they are going to be a good re-build, certainly better than the eternal re-build that is Edmonton.

Did you notice the time periods involved in the cities I mentioned? They are in the range of 4 - 5 years. Arguably the Canucks are anywhere from year one to two of their own re-build (depending on whether you want to count last year). The Canucks will be back in the playoffs. Give it a bit of time before you claim that Canucks' fans are being sold a bill of goods. Yeesh.

regards,  G.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The point is that L.A. has Doughty and Kopitar selected 2nd and 11th but Carter was obtained via a trade that had nothing to do with L.A. using a high draft pick of their own to obtain him, directly or indirectly. L.A. has built their team with only having a 2nd and 11th overall as high draft picks.

That makes no sense.  LA got Carter for Jack Johnson, who was a top three pick.  That's two top three picks to create the winning team.  And that's how the cookie crumbles, IMHAO, of course.

ALF HAS SPOKEN. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That makes no sense.  LA got Carter for Jack Johnson, who was a top three pick.  That's two top three picks to create the winning team.  And that's how the cookie crumbles, IMHAO, of course.

ALF HAS SPOKEN. :lol:

I will try to make sense one last time. You have repeatedly advocated that the Canucks need to draft in the top 5 for more than one year to build a contending team. The L.A. model demonstrates that that is not an absolute as they have only one of their top five picks in their lineup and the rest of the team is augmented with players chosen later in the draft or acquired via trade. There is no valid reason that Vancouver could not do the same to build a contending team.

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I will try to make sense one last time. You have repeatedly advocated that the Canucks need to draft in the top 5 for more than one year to build a contending team. The L.A. model demonstrates that that is not an absolute as they have only one of their top five picks in their lineup and the rest of the team is augmented with players chosen later in the draft or acquired via trade. There is no valid reason that Vancouver could not do the same to build a contending team.

He proved you wrong because they used a 3rd overall pick to gain a valuable piece on there team 

it would be like us picking laine and trading him for tavares

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You are making good sense.  I just disagree.  LA had JJ who was a top three pick.  They traded JJ for Cater.  To create their cup winning team, they needed two top three picks.  Whether they trade the pick or the player selected at the spot is moot (moo for the young ones out there).  

8 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He proved you wrong because they used a 3rd overall pick to gain a valuable piece on there team 

it would be like us picking laine and trading him for tavares

Your example would be correct if Johnson was a 3rd overall pick of L.A.'s but he was not. 

It would be more like us trading Prust and Higgins for Yakupov and then trading him for Tavares.

6 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Exactly. This team is a failure. Management has failed, as I said. But management has totally succeeded in changing the end game: now losses are to be cheered. They take the fans for total fools. Fans in Vancouver are now excited by the draft lottery! Like the fans in Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton... Do you think fans in Chicago, or Washington, or LA , or Anaheim,  give a rat's ass about the draft lottery?

I was excited for the lottery before the team came out and said they are rebuilding/tanking. We will be better next year, nows our chance to get a blue chipper for the future core. 

5 hours ago, hearditall said:

There's more to building a cup contender than picking #1 all the time.

U have to Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's to fill the proper holes.  

Sure it helps to have a Doughty (#2), but after that it's been filled with the above. (Scout, Draft, Develop, Trade & add some quality UFA's.)

Here's LA's OWN Draft picks on their current roster, which LA is a true LEGIT CUP CONTENDER:

D.Doughty- 2nd

D.Brown - 13th 

K.Clifford - 35th

A.Andreoff - 80th

D.Forbort - 15th

K.Gravel - 148th

D.King - 109th

A.Kopitar - 11th

T.Lewis - 17th

A.Martinez - 95th

M.Mersch - 110th

J.Nolan - 186th

T.Pearson - 30th

J.Quick - 72nd

N.Shore - 82nd

T.Toffoli - 47th 

J.Weal - 70th

Then after these guys they have filled in there holes via Trades or UFA's. (Lucic, Carter, Scuderi, Greene, Gaborik, Lecavalier, Schenn, Versteeg, etc, etc....)
Where's all the #1 or #2 must have draft picks???

Ya, whoda thunk that Dustin Brown went that high?

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

How did they get Carter?^_^

They won the Cup right!

Johnson ain't no Norris Trophy winner & Dano was a 28th pick i believe? 

That's where Trades like I mentioned many times now comes in to play.

Johnson might have been a #1 pick but he never has lived up to it. 

Carter was a 11th overall pick as well. 

So they had ONE of there own top 1-2 draft picks on their roster when they won the cup.-_-<_<:blink:

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Indeed, fair enough. As long as you realize that this is the same scenario that played out in cities like Chicago (3rd OA in 2006, and 1st OA in 2007, followed by SC in 2010, 2013 and 2015), LA (2nd OA in 2008, SC in 2012 and 2014).or Pittsburgh (1st OA in 2005, SC in 2009). 

Why do you mention Buffalo as a bad situation since they are for all intents and purposes looking like they are going to be a good re-build, certainly better than the eternal re-build that is Edmonton.

Did you notice the time periods involved in the cities I mentioned? They are in the range of 4 - 5 years. Arguably the Canucks are anywhere from year one to two of their own re-build (depending on whether you want to count last year). The Canucks will be back in the playoffs. Give it a bit of time before you claim that Canucks' fans are being sold a bill of goods. Yeesh.

regards,  G.

Some teams bottom out and reach the SC in 5 years like you say.  While others do not.  There's no telling how high a certain group will peak.  What is really the factor that brings a team to the highest level is management in terms of vision and the ability to execute that vision.

Is Canuck management that good?  Since most of the knuckle heads in the media (Friedman, Sekeres, Pratt) don't understand what is going on, I am reassured.  I would suggest that Canuck management is thinking and acting at a higher level than these shallow thinkers and article skimmers are capable.  Sure, success and confounding the media are not necessarily one in the same but it has got to be half of the battle.

9 minutes ago, hearditall said:

They won the Cup right!

Johnson ain't no Norris Trophy winner & Dano was a 28th pick i believe? 

That's where Trades like I mentioned many times now comes in to play.

Johnson might have been a #1 pick but he never has lived up to it. 

Carter was a 11th overall pick as well. 

So they had ONE of there own top 1-2 draft picks on their roster when they won the cup.-_-<_<:blink:

It's okay to disagree.  Not all eyes see A picture the same way.  You see the one top three pick left on their roster from their own draft.  I see the assets acquired from their other top three pick as an integral part of their Cup team.  IMHAO, we are seeing the picture, only from slightly different angles.  

I expect we we can agree the .canucks need two pieces of elite talent that we don't have. 

10 hours ago, coastal1 said:

How sad is it that this is what this franchise is down to. We have joined the ranks of the franchises that year after year look forward to the draft as the highlight of their season. Other teams that we were even with or better than a few years ago are preparing for the playoffs and this is what fans here are doing! What do our odds look like for the next 4 drafts??

When did you wake up and smell the coffee?

Archived