The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we take Sean Day with our 2nd pick?

Sean Day  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks for the input guys! From reading some of these comments i see a lot of you feel a high 2nd isnt worth taking day with.. Thats fair as im only basing my thoughts on the hype about him earlier in the season. 

What about taking him with our 3rd or 4th rounder if he somehow fell that far?

44 minutes ago, Go Faulk Yourself said:

Lol again people think we should take a guy with falling stock as opposed to someone who might be a late riser.

I don't see why people think that people who fall in their draft year are worth taking. How often do they pan out again? Yeah... Almost never.

This 100%. Off the top of my head in recent memory, Angelo Esposito was projected to be a lottery pick and dropped to 20th overall. He's now playing in Europe. Nick Ebert was believed to go in the top 10 the year before his draft year and he eventually fell to the last pick in the entire draft. Right now, he's a depth defenseman for the Ontario Reign in the AHL.

I know there are more (ie. Schroeder), but you pass every day of the week on defenseman (or anyone except maybe goaltenders) who have seen their stock drop dramatically. Day, while looking terrific for a few years, has been an absolute train wreck this season. Should the Canucks draft a defenseman in the second round? Yes. But there are better options than an incredibly overrated Sean Day.

6 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Thanks for the input guys! From reading some of these comments i see a lot of you feel a high 2nd isnt worth taking day with.. Thats fair as im only basing my thoughts on the hype about him earlier in the season. 

What about taking him with our 3rd or 4th rounder if he somehow fell that far?

I would rather Ronning and/or Kuznetsov in the later rounds. With our 2nd Luke Green would be nice imo.

I wonder how Matthew Phillips will turn out.

Dirty mits, playing under superior coaching. Has all the pedigree to be an outstanding NHL player just lacks the size a-la Gaudreau. 

Wonder if he slides to the 3rd round or if somebody takes a chance on him in the 2nd.

3 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Take http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248808 with our 2nd round and pair him with Trymakin on the 3rd D pairing forever.

6'8 and 6'7 on the same line. With their reach and sticks they would stretch out half the distance of the ice from side to side.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Remember Taylor Doherty?

26 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Thank you Mr. Wannabe Mod. That is about player rankings, kind of like a mock draft. This is specifically about wether or not we should target this particular player with our 2nd pick.

Is there a complaining thread? If there is you should go there.

Then you could have easily asked in the AHL, Junior and International sub-forum about Day and where people think he will fall in the draft. There was a thread on him last year doing exactly that. There's rankings threads there and other similar topics where you wouldn't have to create a thread in Canucks Talk on a prospect that isn't even ours. If you want to ask a question, it's probably not a bad idea to do it in a thread where people are already discussing the topic you're asking about.

2 minutes ago, ms stanley said:

what happened go our draft pick from Columbus courtesy of them signing Torts - isn't it a 2nd round either this year or next? When do they have to declare which year?

They got a choice between 2016, 2017, and 2018. 

I wonder if we sent then Vey if that would get us the pick for this year?

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Get a life.

On a positive note the black hole of drafting and player development from 06-10 still has some hope with Anton Rodin and Phillip Larsen.

Hopefully both get signed and can fill the Canucks need for 25-28 year old players who are ready to make an NHL impact while filling the gaps between the remnants of the old core and the new nucleus being built. 

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

On a positive note the black hole of drafting and player development from 06-10 still has some hope with Anton Rodin and Phillip Larsen.

Hopefully both get signed and can fill the Canucks need for 25-28 year old players who are ready to make an NHL impact while filling the gaps between the remnants of the old core and the new nucleus being built. 

unfortunately  our old core is cap heavy so have to hope some of our young guys get an attitude adjustment in the off season and play to potential. That 25 - 28 group are looking for richer contracts 

1 minute ago, ms stanley said:

unfortunately  our old core is cap heavy so have to hope some of our young guys get an attitude adjustment in the off season and play to potential. That 25 - 28 group are looking for richer contracts 

Do they buyout Burrows or Higgins if they can't move them?

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I always thought Rodin got a bad break here. Bad development in Chicago plus an injury was the end of his time in North America. If he got the same opportunities as Vey, I think he would still be over here.

Archived