Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we take Sean Day with our 2nd pick?


Sean Day  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Anyone remember when Yann Sauve was supposed to be a first rounder in his draft year and he plummeted to us in the second round? I'd pass on Day. When players fall dramatically its usually for good reason. None of us are scouts though, so maybe Benning will see something in him, who knows.

we need a "where are they now" thread if we don't already. As was mentioned earlier hockey IQ cannot be overlooked, not to mention work ethic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Do they buyout Burrows or Higgins if they can't move them?

With the train wreck that is the team right now and fan backlash pretty high, I think they may have considered a buyout prior to deadline but can't see them putting a fan favourite(Burrows) out to pasture now, not to mention his work ethic and mentoring of players. Higgins is done I believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If Tyler Benson falls into the second, that is the guy I want.

 

Also because Columbus hired Torts, we got the compensatory 2nd either in this years draft, in in 2017 or 2018.  So possibility of 2 second round picks.

Hopefully JB doesn't do something silly  and trade it away - if we are going to compete we need to draft and develop our young guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From the looks of Beiber in that photo, he doesn't have many nights left.  That boy looks like a walking corpse.  

It's all that "clean living" he practices.. perfect role model for a young impressionable hockey player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can agree with all on your list, except McCann, unless he's a Comet.  Virtanen a Comet too?

Yes of course I meant McCann should get a year as a Comet. He needs to improve skill and mostly strength wise in battles and in the face off dot as well as D zone play.

 

I wouldn't mind Virtanen to start the year at the very least with McCann in the minors. He is physically mature but mentally like McCann needs to work on the D zone and details of their game. If Travis Green is still the coach there I'm sure he wouldn't mind working with two recent first rounders. 

 

Benning needs to get creative retain some salary and throw in a pick or something along with Vey or Etem to move them along with a Burrows or Higgins trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I said yes because I think that 2nds are best suited for the risky high-end potential type of guys like kylington and what not. Be happier to see him drop to the third round which might happen anyways.

 

Im sort of expecting Tyler Bensen to somehow drop out of the first round and of course we'd have a high pick so is possible.

 

id be pretty happy to come out of the draft with:

matthews/Laine/puljujarvi/chuchyrn/juloevi 

Bensen

Day

 

rest up to Benning to what he does best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Potential Canucks lineup next year not considering the draft or trades or free agency.

 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Granlund-Grenier

Rodin-Horvat-Burrows

Guance-Sutter-Virtanen

Dorsett.

 

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Larsen

Pedan-Tryamkin

Sbisa,Biega

 

Miller

Markstrom

 

There's a 30th place team right there.

 

Obviously we'll spend in free agency though. I think Burrows is almost certainly gone, and I think they'll look to move Miller as well.

 

If that we the case we'd have roughly 22 million to spend on 4 spots with a roster consisting of:

 

Sedin Sedin UFA

UFA Sutter Drafted

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Hansen

 

Dorsett, Grenier (McCann and Gaunce in Utica)

 

UFA Tanev

Edler Hutton

Sbisa Tryamkin

 

Pedan, Biega

 

Markstrom

UFA

 

That would leave 12 million to upgrade the top 6 (Eriksson/Okposo for example), 6-7 million for another top 4 (Yandle), and 3-4 million for another starter/backup.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There's a 30th place team right there.

 

Obviously we'll spend in free agency though. I think Burrows is almost certainly gone, and I think they'll look to move Miller as well.

 

If that we the case we'd have roughly 22 million to spend on 4 spots with a roster consisting of:

 

Sedin Sedin UFA

UFA Sutter Drafted

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Hansen

 

Dorsett, Grenier (McCann and Gaunce in Utica)

 

UFA Tanev

Edler Hutton

Sbisa Tryamkin

 

Pedan, Biega

 

Markstrom

UFA

 

That would leave 12 million to upgrade the top 6 (Eriksson/Okposo for example), 6-7 million for another top 4 (Yandle), and 3-4 million for another starter/backup.

 

 

 

Hutton hasn't shown that he can play right d at any point this year.

so the UFA in the dcorp would be a rhd guy.

 

i also doubt we'll be getting 2 top 6 forwards and a top 4 defenceman signed. Even so that's a lot of term and cap $ wasted in the UFA market.

 

also lets not forget about Rodin and Larsen ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, goblix said:

Hutton hasn't shown that he can play right d at any point this year.

so the UFA in the dcorp would be a rhd guy.

 

i also doubt we'll be getting 2 top 6 forwards and a top 4 defenceman signed. Even so that's a lot of term and cap $ wasted in the UFA market.

 

also lets not forget about Rodin and Larsen ;)

Arrange it however you want, we need to sign a top 4 D-man. If Larsen can beat out Biega he'll be here, if not he'll be in the minors. I'm not holding my breath on him.

 

As for signing two top 6 forwards we don't really have a choice. We don't have enough players to fill those spots unless we wanna keep pretending Burrows and Hansen are top 6 players. We'll have the cap space so it's not a problem. Rodin is definitely not the answer for our top 6, we don't even know if he's good enough for the NHL yet.

 

We'll be spending to the cap like every year, so I would expect nothing less than a top 6 and top 4 D signing. Another top 6 or a D may have to be acquired through trade if we can't get one in free agency.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DeNiro said:

Arrange it however you want, we need to sign a top 4 D-man. If Larsen can beat out Biega he'll be here, if not he'll be in the minors. I'm not holding my breath on him.

 

As for signing two top 6 forwards we don't really have a choice. We don't have enough players to fill those spots unless we wanna keep pretending Burrows and Hansen are top 6 players. We'll have the cap space so it's not a problem. Rodin is definitely not the answer for our top 6, we don't even know if he's good enough for the NHL yet.

 

We'll be spending to the cap like every year, so I would expect nothing less than a top 6 and top 4 D signing. Another top 6 or a D may have to be acquired through trade if we can't get one in free agency.

 

 

I see baertschi as a top 6 winger the way he's playing right now. and I'm perfectly fine with Hansen with the sedins as willy said himself they do best with a speedy checking type of guy.

sorta like Crosby + Kunitz lol

anyways our biggest problem is the 2nd line consistency so this is where you gotta make a big play. Gearing for 1 targeted very good forward rather than two pretty good ones.

 

for the defence, i agree with you but for ufa RHD who is available? Demers I guess he's good sure but is he good at 6x5.5m? He's also another stable type but I'd rather have a slick offensive guy. Probably only available through the trade unless if you want to give Troy Stecher a shot. Pretty much say Larsen and Stecher give it a go and show me the money.

 

Anyways my summarization is: first line is fine

we need an actual second line. And we need more offensive capabilities in our defence corps to help the power play and every line as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, goblix said:

I see baertschi as a top 6 winger the way he's playing right now. and I'm perfectly fine with Hansen with the sedins as willy said himself they do best with a speedy checking type of guy.

sorta like Crosby + Kunitz lol

anyways our biggest problem is the 2nd line consistency so this is where you gotta make a big play. Gearing for 1 targeted very good forward rather than two pretty good ones.

 

for the defence, i agree with you but for ufa RHD who is available? Demers I guess he's good sure but is he good at 6x5.5m? He's also another stable type but I'd rather have a slick offensive guy. Probably only available through the trade unless if you want to give Troy Stecher a shot. Pretty much say Larsen and Stecher give it a go and show me the money.

 

Anyways my summarization is: first line is fine

we need an actual second line. And we need more offensive capabilities in our defence corps to help the power play and every line as well.

Baertschi hasn't proven to be a full time top 6 yet. He has definitely improved by leaps and bounds but we shouldn't be going into next season with him penciled in that spot. 

 

Sedins and Hansen works in stretches, but it's not a permanent solution. Giving them a skilled winger like Okposo or Eriksson should be a top priority. No more band aid solutions. We know they have chemistry with Eriksson already, and Okposo plays a style of game that may compliment them.

 

As for the D there's guys like Goligoski or Yandle who can fill the need for a top 4 until we fill that hole through drafting. Or there's the trade route where we can go after a guy like Hamonic.

 

Bottom line is this team needs more than a couple tweaks, they're not close. Benning needs to be very aggressive this summer. He has to acquire the pieces to fill out the roster so that the young players have skilled vets to play with and aren't relied on to carry too much of the workload too soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...