Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rollie Melanson not returning


PRIMO88

Recommended Posts

On 3/21/2016 at 2:13 PM, Spotted Zebra said:

Apparently most of the improvements in Markstroms game are due to Cloutier not Melanson.

 

I have no problem with Clouts working with Markstrom some more and eventually Demko. Maybe no words of advise from

him before a playoff game Though.

 

Its an unfortunate loss but he's not irreplaceable.

Hey don't say anything good about Clouts.. Thats against the rules

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2016 at 3:45 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

It just doesn't feel right to have:

 

Trevor Linden = President of the Organization

 

Kirk McLean = Goalie Coach

 

The disparity in the place on the hierarchy is just so severe that it's kind of insulting.  Plus I don't ever want to hear about Linden firing McLean from a position that low on the totem pole.

The 94 team is still making a living off of that run. Wow..

 

Anyway all this talk about nothing. Rollie was a part time employee. If I was a professional like Miller, i would be taking whatever the part timer says with a grain of salt. Rollie is overrated. All of our goalies had good pedigree before they ever met Rollie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Why?  You don't think Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi could score against Boston?  Bertuzzi would have steam rolled Lucic and Marchand.

Ya, like they did in 2003 against the Wild.  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I was never a fan of Clouts as an athlete (my god that helmet was atrocious), the one advantage he has is being quite a bit younger than your average goalie coach. If Marky and Demko like him, that's really all that matters. These guys know how to play, they just need somebody to be on top of them, cutting out bad habits.

 

36 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

The 94 team is still making a living off of that run. Wow..

 

Anyway all this talk about nothing. Rollie was a part time employee. If I was a professional like Miller, i would be taking whatever the part timer says with a grain of salt. Rollie is overrated. All of our goalies had good pedigree before they ever met Rollie

Amazing right? Funny how the 2011 cup run is looked back at with agony and grief and disappointment, while the 94 run was somehow miraculous and beautiful and "legendary". Kirk McLean played some stellar hockey at key times, but we've had goalies that are so far beyond his skill level in the years since. Even freakin' Johan Hedberg was a more gifted athlete between the pipes. 

But yeah, a goalie coach is borderline irrelevant. They're just supposed to be there for the goalies, keeping them focused, keeping them disciplined, suggesting some adjustments at times, but also pumping their tires, helping them build upon their strengths. 



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, nergish said:

Although I was never a fan of Clouts as an athlete (my god that helmet was atrocious), the one advantage he has is being quite a bit younger than your average goalie coach. If Marky and Demko like him, that's really all that matters. These guys know how to play, they just need somebody to be on top of them, cutting out bad habits.
 

Amazing right? Funny how the 2011 cup run is looked back at with agony and grief and disappointment, while the 94 run was somehow miraculous and beautiful and "legendary". Kirk McLean played some stellar hockey at key times, but we've had goalies that are so far beyond his skill level in the years since. Even freakin' Johan Hedberg was a more gifted athlete between the pipes. 

But yeah, a goalie coach is borderline irrelevant. They're just supposed to be there for the goalies, keeping them focused, keeping them disciplined, suggesting some adjustments at times, but also pumping their tires, helping them build upon their strengths.

Cloutier's problems were all mental.  He was just the Anti-Linden when it came to big games.

 

Doesn't mean he didn't have his technique down, though.

 

As for McLean, you're selling him short.  Not only was he arguably a top three goalie in the NHL over about a 5-year period, but he did it with techniques that had become / were becoming obsolete.

 

In addition, he had that Linden gene where he stepped it up when it mattered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Actually, I heard on 1040 that Demko's father tweeted today that he's a Duck's fan!

His father lives 30 min drive down the I-5 from Anaheim 

 

Be nice if Orca Bay signed him to a $500K to Utica and bi-pass the ELC ....if that's possible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ButcherG said:

Wow you really don't stop arguing. And you were the one one who brought Gretzky into this topic.

 

My issue is simple, I don't want Cloutier coaching our goaltenders on an NHL level. I would like our team to find a qualified winning coach to coach our goaltenders.

 

Are you Dan? I am just curious, because this topic was dead two weeks ago.

And my point is simple. Experience comes with opportunity. So far, Cloutier has had some role, if not a massive one, in training goaltenders. Maybe this is his time to shine. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

No one here, including myself, has said that he is an all-star goalie coach in the making. We are merely pointing out that he is not UNQUALIFIED to be a coach, especially since he has been a goalie in the NHL.

 

It's funny that you talk about arguing - you're the one stuffing your opinion down people's throats.

You're not any more qualified to make an assessment on how competent someone is as a goalie coach, as is myself.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I know, they are from San Diego. I just hope they're not waiting to sign there as a free agent.

I think being a free agent would not only be a dick move, but it's a risk on his part too. San Jose could very well have locked up goaltenders by that point (as they wouldn't have expected Demko to hold out).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dazzle said:

I think being a free agent would not only be a dick move, but it's a risk on his part too. San Jose could very well have locked up goaltenders by that point (as they wouldn't have expected Demko to hold out).

 

 

Yes, a dick move, but it's been done before. I hope you are right, as CDC seems to have him as our franchise goaltender that gets us to hoist the cup, and Benning is very high on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

Yes, a dick move, but it's been done before. I hope you are right, as CDC seems to have him as our franchise goaltender that gets us to hoist the cup, and Benning is very high on him.

It rarely happens. The times that it has happened, we remember them. But, I think it's not very likely to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And my point is simple. Experience comes with opportunity. So far, Cloutier has had some role, if not a massive one, in training goaltenders. Maybe this is his time to shine. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

No one here, including myself, has said that he is an all-star goalie coach in the making. We are merely pointing out that he is not UNQUALIFIED to be a coach, especially since he has been a goalie in the NHL.

 

It's funny that you talk about arguing - you're the one stuffing your opinion down people's throats.

You're not any more qualified to make an assessment on how competent someone is as a goalie coach, as is myself.

 

 

And you know this how? I watched every game Cloutier played in a Canuck uniform. He always had a hard time keeping his eye on the puck, and was more interested in winning fights than stopping shots. This is not who I want coaching our goalies.

 

I believe that finding players who have had success, will have a better chance of translating that into success at higher levels. This is my view, and you can have yours, and I have mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ButcherG said:

And you know this how? I watched every game Cloutier played in a Canuck uniform. He always had a hard time keeping his eye on the puck, and was more interested in winning fights than stopping shots. This is not who I want coaching our goalies.

 

I believe that finding players who have had success, will have a better chance of translating that into success at higher levels. This is my view, and you can have yours, and I have mine.

I watched every single game Cloutier played too. Not sure why you think this is relevant, as it alone isn't enough to determine if he would be incompetent as a goalie coach. You seem to have drawn a conclusion where there shouldn't have been. Aside from game watching, do you have any other credentials that should make your opinion more persuasive than the average folk?

 

Everyone has an opinion - it doesn't necessarily make them right to have it.

 

Let me cut to the chase. I believe that your views are open to being questioned. I already mentioned Gretzky as the example of how someone so talented/good could be so incompetent at management AND coaching. It's unbelievable really. It is okay to have your views (or mine) challenged. That's the point of the discussion.

 

If you say you've watched every game he's played, you'd know that Cloutier wasn't THAT bad of a goalie - at least not nearly as what CDC makes him out to be.

 

Three 30+ wins in a season, a relatively low GAA and a high save percentage. Before Luongo, he was also the shutout leader. He wasn't perfect, but you are not giving credit where it's due.

 

Hard to think that you would be an unbiased source of information. It makes me question how valid your views are on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I watched every single game Cloutier played too. Not sure why you think this is relevant, as it alone isn't enough to determine if he would be incompetent as a goalie coach. You seem to have drawn a conclusion where there shouldn't have been. Aside from game watching, do you have any other credentials that should make your opinion more persuasive than the average folk?

 

Everyone has an opinion - it doesn't necessarily make them right to have it.

 

Let me cut to the chase. I believe that your views are open to being questioned. I already mentioned Gretzky as the example of how someone so talented/good could be so incompetent at management AND coaching. It's unbelievable really. It is okay to have your views (or mine) challenged. That's the point of the discussion.

 

If you say you've watched every game he's played, you'd know that Cloutier wasn't THAT bad of a goalie - at least not nearly as what CDC makes him out to be.

 

Three 30+ wins in a season, a relatively low GAA and a high save percentage. Before Luongo, he was also the shutout leader. He wasn't perfect, but you are not giving credit where it's due.

 

Hard to think that you would be an unbiased source of information. It makes me question how valid your views are on it.

Alright fair enough.

 

I am letting my bias come through, I really really am irked about Cloutier, and the lost chances we had when he played here.

 

I am more upset with Burke for keeping him and failing at stopping the goalie graveyard, and it seems wherever Burke goes the goalie grave yard does too.

 

Cloutier was a respectable player in the regular season, but in the playoffs where the games genuinely matter, he has posted a goalie worst for save percentage.

 

When I look at the careers of Naslund Bertuzzi Morrison Jovo, Ohlund et al, I can only help but wish they had a competent goaltender to let them have a chance at a legacy here in Van. Instead they have no legacy but, "we choked."

 

It is not possible for me to forget how terrible Cloutier was in the playoffs. I guess I cannot let it go, I just can't.

 

My opinion is that I would prefer Cloutier coaching somewhere else. I don't want him touching our players on any level.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ButcherG said:

Alright fair enough.

 

I am letting my bias come through, I really really am irked about Cloutier, and the lost chances we had when he played here.

 

I am more upset with Burke for keeping him and failing at stopping the goalie graveyard, and it seems wherever Burke goes the goalie grave yard does too.

 

Cloutier was a respectable player in the regular season, but in the playoffs where the games genuinely matter, he has posted a goalie worst for save percentage.

 

When I look at the careers of Naslund Bertuzzi Morrison Jovo, Ohlund et al, I can only help but wish they had a competent goaltender to let them have a chance at a legacy here in Van. Instead they have no legacy but, "we choked."

 

It is not possible for me to forget how terrible Cloutier was in the playoffs. I guess I cannot let it go, I just can't.

 

My opinion is that I would prefer Cloutier coaching somewhere else. I don't want him touching our players on any level.

 

 

 

 

That's a fair comment - the stats certainly support this view. On the other hand, the successful Canuck teams with Naslund/Mo/Bert had great offense, but not much defense. Naslund/Bertuzzi weren't particularly good at backchecking. Furthermore, there wasn't a lot of depth. I think all of these reasons contributed to their demise - not just simply goaltending.

 

That being said, it is possible that Cloutier could pass on his tips from him being a goalie to another. Not saying this is a guarantee. This is more speculative and not fact.

 

I don't think it's that scary if he's teaching someone on our team. It's not like he has this ploy to sink future Canuck team goalies. (or Does he?)

 

We'll find out in the next episode of Canucks Hockey!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...