The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda Thread: Draft Edition

Who did you want?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To salvage the prospects section and pull the controversy outside of there I thought I'd make a thread to encompass all the arguments related to our first rounders and the subjective opinions surrounding them. I put this in General Hockey Talk to garner discussion from all angles, not just ones pertaining to the Canucks prospects.

I kept the poll centered around our top pick in each draft because those were the ones to garner the most attention, by all means though feel free to argue about the likes of Olson and Gaudette if you so like.

If you want to boast about who we picked you can!

If you want to boast about who you thought we should have picked you can!

To stir the pot a little... I wanted:

1. Nichushkin

2. Nylander

3. Konecny.

I stand by the first two so far but Boeser has opened my eyes quite a bit. I'm more than happy with his progress.

So, who did YOU want?

18 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

In before people get banned and this gets locked

I don't understand you, nor your need to try and derail this thread. I believe a civil discussion can be had and since it's such a big topic given our rebuild why not talk about it?

Anyways. We'll see who gets banned and what gets locked. 

minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sandlak & Nedved STILL get my goat..sorry..just CAN'T move fwd into this millenium.

names like:

Holden

Herter

Ferrence

Allen

...Between Trev & the twins, for a decade t'was a virtual black hole...

As a new generation fan, mind enlightening me as to what you're referring to? Did people not like the Sandlak and Nedved picks?

22 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

In before people get banned and this gets locked

Comments like that lose impact when it's not your first comment in the thread.

I wanted Nichushkin, Nylander and Konecny. 

I wanted Nikuschkin over Horvat, but it looks like Horvat will be better now.

Nylander or Ehlers over Virtanen, but Virtanen certainly fills a need on this team and is improving quickly so I can't say I am upset about this anymore (though Nylander is looking pretty good for Toronto).

Ho sang or Kempe over Mcann...I'm not going to even bother defending myself on this one  (yikes), though Kempe looks okay

And finally, I must admit I wanted quite a few players over Boeser (Konecny, Aho, Jacob Larsson) as I had never really heard of him before, but wow am I glad I was wrong about this one, Boeser is looking fantastic.

TLDR: Be glad I'm not a scout for the Canucks...be very glad

20 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I don't understand you, nor your need to try and derail this thread. I believe a civil discussion can be had and since it's such a big topic given our rebuild why not talk about it?

As a new generation fan, mind enlightening me as to what you're referring to? Did people not like the Sandlak and Nedved picks?

Lets face it nothing on CDC stays a civil discussion for long

Just wait until Alf or Desi gets in here

Only debatable pick is Virtanen vs Nylander. Nylander has elite skill and playmaking abilities but is smallish. Virtanen has elite level physicality but does not have the vision nor the playmaking abilities of Nylander. I'm happy with Virtanen but would have been happy with Nylander as well.

Now, we are probably going to be picking in the top 5 this season so we are probably going to end up with a player with elite level skill. It doesn't really matter that we didn't get Nylander.

31 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

sandlak received the same treatment that kassian got ,the gm and coach wanted him to be a scrappy power forward type, and the fans were on him as well, i would say he was more consistent than kassian,bigger as well., being a scrapper wasn't in his nature . they traded him for murry craven who was soft and a bigger version of mason raymond.    nedved was just a flake. two sides to the sandlak storie, i always thought he was a keeper.

19 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Lets face it nothing on CDC stays a civil discussion for long

Just wait until Alf or Desi gets in here

Maybe we can keep it on topic until they get here then, no?

But I'll agree that the topic pretty much has already been done to death in the respective draft and prospect talk threads. That's not going to change any time soon even if the OP named this thread all kinds of **OFFICIAL** with stars and checkmarks and everything else.

For instance, it's no secret I was in the Nylander camp during Benning's first draft, but we have Virtanen now so no reason to belabor it so far past the draft.

Jim Benning ignores skill and goes for grit. It's funny because the team he praises eg the Sedins are skill and hardly no grit. Benning's blunders - last year should have drafted Konecy, year before that gambled on Jake Virtanen- even though Button nailed the homerun on Jake's hockey iq. Gambled on trading Hunter Shinkurak because his ego told him too, honestly saw zero point behind that trade and btw he is getting going now and look who we got another grinder, but a soft grinder. yaay!

24 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But I'll agree that the topic pretty much has already been done to death in the respective draft and prospect talk threads. That's not going to change any time soon even if the OP named this thread all kinds of **OFFICIAL** with stars and checkmarks and everything else.

Perhaps, but it's kind of a taboo to bring up the other options (ala Ehlers/Nylander) in our prospect talk threads regardless of whether it happens or not. It'd be nice to have an open discussion with updates on how the prospects of other teams are doing and how our own are stacking up through the year. It might not work but I'm going to try anyways. -_-

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Sorry, Sandlak was so long ago(mid-80's) can't recall who we should have picked. Seemed fans waited forever for him to become the kind of player that Neely did. Which just compounded frustrations, after we dealt him, to get fleeced. The 80's were a mess. Trev & '82 the only bright spots.

Then(as Chon Derry mentioned), Nedved was a flaky lil' bugg*r that would always remind us of bypassing Jagr. Top-5 that draft were some pretty big names, as usual we picked the lemon.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Jim Benning ignores skill and goes for grit. It's funny because the team he praises eg the Sedins are skill and hardly no grit. Benning's blunders - last year should have drafted Konecy, year before that gambled on Jake Virtanen- even though Button nailed the homerun on Jake's hockey iq. Gambled on trading Hunter Shinkurak because his ego told him too, honestly saw zero point behind that trade and btw he is getting going now and look who we got another grinder, but a soft grinder. yaay!

You seriously think Hunter was traded because of his own EGO? Righttttttttttt..I'm sure Travis Green had a lot of input in it.

Archived