The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 Thoughts

Bur14Kes17

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

1. Agreed, Injuries killed the Canucks this year, Bart needs to go, we still need Sbisa's physicality

2. You play the hand you're dealt. The bright side of life is our draft position this year

3. We can finish last and pick 4th overall in the new lottery system. don't count your chickens

4. Agree we will bounce back, how far will definitely depend on free agent signings

5. What is this, a McCann "just a kid" powerade commercial ?

6. Jake starts with the big club next year but I think on a short leash- he needs to show more "buy-in"

7. Tree is a beauty, amazing find for Benning

8. Fully agree, Hutton is another beauty

9. Willie stay or Willie go ? He gets one more full season at least imo. Can't see Crawford coaching in Vancouver again after the Bertuzzi court case.

Tryamking and Pedan say differently.

Sbisa's not as bad as some ppl let on but hes worth 3.6M. He was about to become a UFA and probably would have gotten 4+M, so 3.6M is a pretty good deal IMO, and his physicality was a huge need. He is a very good #5 Dman capable of top 4 minutes. Once Tryamkin shows he can play in the NHL full time Sbisa's Canuck days are over. I wonder if we could get Yakupov for Sbisa + 1 or 2 B+ prospects? Lol doubt is, but the Oilers could really use his physicality :)

2 hours ago, McHortanen said:

87 posts with 300+ reputation? I wish you posted more often. +100

I hate to do it but I have a different opinion on these bolded parts. For me Hamhuis will be back, atleast for 1 more year to help ease Tryamkin in. Plus we need to get something for him as a rental wether its next years tdl or the next... Lol

Stamkos at 10M? I wouldnt pay that, to me if your not great in all aspects of the game you are not worth that price. Plus Bo and other young guys will need contracts soon. Also Stamkos will get around what Kopitar got. I see him getting 11-12M 8 year contract.

I think WD stays for atleast one more year. If he gets only 5 wins in the first 15 games then maybe he will be fired, other than an unrealistic bad start I cant see us firing him. However it is more likely now that Torts is off the payroll. 

If we get Matthews there is a VERY strong chance Crawford comes back. So you never know.

Once again, great thread OP!!!!

Hope to read more from you in the future!

Thanks for the nod mate. I'll try and stick around and post more often! I can't disagree with you're thoughts on Willie at all. We would have to start next year the way we're finishing this year for it to happen. 

I like Hammer a lot. Would love him back. It would be tough to let him walk. Just such a log jam of D on one way contracts. Maybe some of those can be moved at the draft?

Personnaly, I think stamkos is worth the money the way Toews and Kane are. He's only 25.. Wait maybe 26? . But you look and see how Chicago just continually fills in the spaces around them with young players while they drive the team. Seems to be a winning formula. All guess work at this point since he may not even make it to free agency.

6 hours ago, Dral said:

I know you don't mean it, but it honestly sounds like you're whining.

We should not be as low as we are simply because of injuries, other teams have it a lot worse and are doing a lot better then we are.

here's an interesting site on tracking team injuries:

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-march-19-2016/

typical strawman argument! since the 2011 run this team has lost loungo, scnieder kesler ,rome ,glass ,beiksa,torres,salo,lappierre,erhoff,ballard, malhotra,rypien, raymond, samuilson,alberts,. a few more lesser players, these players were NOT replaced with any level of equivalency since!.  this team is comprised 3/4 youth right now. this team WAS decimated with injury and to suggest ,and or refer to some fancy stat that this team shouldn't have been affected is insane. if you watched and followed every game and kept up with all the injury news, maybe you wouldn't have to rely so much on some stat that isn't relevant with this peticular team.

9 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

5. Jared McCann will be in Utica. He needs to get stronger and learn to play against men. He had the will and the skill but not the strength yet. He will be back and he will be good.

as much as people want to rag against my veybae, because you can, you have to look past your displeasure for the guy and at least take note that his time in utica has turned his game around quite significantly since the start of the year, and stop giving guys like mccann the benefit of the doubt. he's not the only young guy on this team put in a **** situation with **** linemates. at some point, enough's enough and he needs to be sent down to work on other areas of his game that people who actually know the sport see that we, as fans, don't. this guy just isn't ready to play on the main roster and isn't ready for the responsibilities.

i get that bo's thrown into the same situation, but the way bo plays, he handles himself better and that he does belong on the roster. he's just making the best of what he has. mccann isn't, and you can't use vrbata as an excuse

9 hours ago, Dral said:

We should not be as low as we are simply because of injuries, other teams have it a lot worse and are doing a lot better then we are.

If you look at this site more closely, you will realize that the site not only counts up the total number of man games lost, but also the impact (quality, importance to the team) of the players that missed games, indicated by the size of the circle in the graph. Here the Canucks are only behind Edmonton.

I'm not saying that injuries are solely responsible, but (among several other factors) they certainly played a role.

2 hours ago, joe-max said:

If you look at this site more closely, you will realize that the site not only counts up the total number of man games lost, but also the impact (quality, importance to the team) of the players that missed games, indicated by the size of the circle in the graph. Here the Canucks are only behind Edmonton.

I'm not saying that injuries are solely responsible, but (among several other factors) they certainly played a role.

So I guess Edmonton should be a playoff team as well.... and STL/DET are massive cup favorites?

12 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you nailed it Lucas Sbisa and Bartwoksi would cost this team the cup. I don't get what ppl don't get about Sbisa, you cannot win with a guy like he is a give-away king at the worst time ever. In a tight game i would think twice before having you rely on Lucas Sbisa, so lets hope the big Russian works out so Benning can move Sbisa to a team that might want him.

And yet you would have had Sanguinetti on our first line. 

Sorry desi I don't trust your scouting, especially when it comes to defenders.

12 hours ago, Dral said:

Who are these other teams and can you list their injuries and length of time out of the team etc? I mean you have obviously put a lot of research into a bold statement like that otherwise it's BS.

Firstly you quote a site that actually contradicts you. Way to go.

It's not just the injuries, it's who is injured, their value to the team and who replaced them.

Your argument is shallow and lacks any logic based in sport. If you have followed any team sport you should know better or was it just another attempt to have an ill informed dig at the coaches and management.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Who are these other teams and can you list their injuries and length of time out of the team etc? I mean you have obviously put a lot of research into a bold statement like that otherwise it's BS.

Firstly you quote a site that actually contradicts you. Way to go.

It's not just the injuries, it's who is injured, their value to the team and who replaced them.

Your argument is shallow and lacks any logic based in sport. If you have followed any team sport you should know better or was it just another attempt to have an ill informed dig at the coaches and management.

Smoke another one there alfs

16 hours ago, appleboy said:

I am stocking up for a couple of years. I am in it until the end. No matter how much I must drink!

You know what's sad?  Canada is one of the few Western countries that has made it illegal to own and run your own still.   You should be able to make your own shine, ripple, rum or whatever.  And get good enough at it to give as gifts to fellow CDCers.

12 hours ago, McHortanen said:

Tryamking and Pedan say differently.

Sbisa's not as bad as some ppl let on but hes worth 3.6M. He was about to become a UFA and probably would have gotten 4+M, so 3.6M is a pretty good deal IMO, and his physicality was a huge need. He is a very good #5 Dman capable of top 4 minutes. Once Tryamkin shows he can play in the NHL full time Sbisa's Canuck days are over. I wonder if we could get Yakupov for Sbisa + 1 or 2 B+ prospects? Lol doubt is, but the Oilers could really use his physicality :)

You are right.  Edmonton is way too soft on D. They would love Sbisa.  But not until we have a bona fide replacement.  I think of Tryamkin as replacing Edler tbh.  And he's young.  If Pedan can replace Sbisa or if Larsen is good (I'm not sure he is) then we are talking.

10 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Thanks for the nod mate. I'll try and stick around and post more often! I can't disagree with you're thoughts on Willie at all. We would have to start next year the way we're finishing this year for it to happen. 

I like Hammer a lot. Would love him back. It would be tough to let him walk. Just such a log jam of D on one way contracts. Maybe some of those can be moved at the draft?

Personnaly, I think stamkos is worth the money the way Toews and Kane are. He's only 25.. Wait maybe 26? . But you look and see how Chicago just continually fills in the spaces around them with young players while they drive the team. Seems to be a winning formula. All guess work at this point since he may not even make it to free agency.

To me it comes down to a choice on the LD between Edler and Hamhuis. Fans are high on Hammer when I see a down turn in his game. Gets beat to the outside. Strengthen you FO% to take pressure off the d-core and resign him to a 1 or 2 year deal at less money and it should be considered. That does not help with the TOI that both Edler and Hutton will eat up. Keeping Hamhuis means that Edler is moved and that is a big deal. I can see Tanev being dealt before that. How coachable is Edler? Can he play a stronger d-game with less concern over offense? 2nd pairing! If Hutton continues his upward trajectory next year and Edler can anchor a shut down pairing it solves a lot of problems.  

17 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but i haven't missed watching a game the past two years, so give me some credit. 

This is not a new dark era for the Canucks. This is not a team that has plummeted to the bottom of the standings based simply on poor play.

However, this is no where close to being a Jim Benning 100 pt playoff team. 

Here are 9 Thoughts:

1. If healthy, this team would have made playoffs. The Sedins with Hansen, Horvat being in a 3rd line role where he could continue to shine and dominate, Sutter eating up a ton of 2nd line minutes, and very solid goaltending would have compensated for the pizza service provided by Sbisa and Bart. 

2. Injuries are the best thing that could have ever happened to this organization. This is an organization where the owner demands playoffs because he spends to the cap and deserves payout some playoff time. Linden and Benning have been pressured to "retool on the fly." That's BS. You can't do that and be competitive without Scotty Bownman GM or have Detroit Red Wing scouts. Injuries dropping the floor out from this team was the best thing that could have happened.

3. The Canucks will pick in the top 3. Looking ahead at the schedule, I see 2 wins and an OT loss ahead. Personally, Matthews would be fantastic, but I'm almost as happy to have one of the two Fins. When the Sedins are gone, the club needs an "Elite" scorer. We don't have that, we need that, you can't sign that, you have to draft that. Injuries are the best thing that could have happened. 

4. The Canucks will have a big bounce back season next year. I do not subscribe to the theory that these are the next Messier Dark Ages. So long as we have the Sedins, they will not let that happen. They're drive is too high. This club will not re sign Vrbata or Hamhuis but will get a scoring winger. But If Benning has any sense, he will first offer Stamkos 10 Mil over 10 years. With a healthy line up next year this will be a playoff team with a second line Centered by Sutter with a Finnish draft pick and probably Lucic. 

5. Jared McCann will be in Utica. He needs to get stronger and learn to play against men. He had the will and the skill but not the strength yet. He will be back and he will be good.

6. Jake will stay with the the Canucks. I was in the camp of sending him back to Jr after the worlds. I was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong. Horvat and Jake will shine next year in roles better suited to them. 

7. Tryamkin is a gift of the hockey gods. I never thought he was Bure or Chara. He is Tryamkin. He gets more comfortable every game. He will get more involved as he gets more comfortable, but at this point, it's obvious he doesn't panic, he has hockey IQ, and good lord what a long reach. How many 2 on 1s is this guy going to break up? 

8. Hutton will continue to impress and will be a #2 defensemen for this team one day. He is that good. The guy is running on absolute fumes right now and is still currently our 2nd best defensemen behind Hamhuis. The off season will do him an absolute world of good and I see him and Tryamkin performing admirably together next year as our 2nd pair. Sbisa and that KHL guy (forget his name) will be our 3rd pair will Biega and Pedan rotating in. 

9. Willie will be back on a short leash. If the team does not get off to a good start within 15 games, he's gone because we can't have a losing culture around the kids. If he is still available, Marc Crawford will replace him. Marc follows this team like its his second home. 

1. With a more normal amount of injuries (they have had a lot this year), the team would have challenged for a wildcard spot. But this team didn't need a wildcard spot or any other playoff spot, they needed the season they had this year, where young guys getting into the lineup was the most important thing. 

2. Pretty much agree. Very difficult to turn your roster upside-down and still make the playoffs. I hope Linden and Benning back off of this point from now on. Trying to oversell at this point is unwise. 

3. As much as the Canucks need a D-stud, they need elite offensive players just as much. This late-season swoon should deliver one. I would have liked someone like Chychrun, but the incessant tank down the stretch has provided new possibilities. Yes, the injuries were key in that happening. 

4. I think the team has one more very hard year next year, but it picks up steadily after that. Next season will seem like a continuation of this one on terms of development, and alas, losing a lot of games. Don't want any part of Stamkos or mega UFA contracts. I'm much more interested in growing my own fruit as opposed to stealing it from my neighbour's tree. There will certainly be a time to jump in and sign a few pieces to fill what we don't have, but that time is probably not this summer. Jim should only spend when he finds something really to his liking long-term. If it takes another year, so be it. No more of these Vrbata or Miller type signings. 

5. Agree. I think Jared needs to get back to having the puck on his stick more. There was very little of that this season, and it must have been very frustrating for him. The strength issue is a big factor also. 

6. Agree. Jake stays and the staff continues to work to make a good NHLer out of him. 

7. Big Try looks like real find and will be a valuable top-4 here for many years. Already he has shown he has a lot of game, and surprisingly, it's more polished defensively than anyone could have hoped. He's going to be a bear to play against down low for the next decade. Nice. 

8. Hutton is a gift from the hockey gods. He'll only get better with more strength and experience. 

9. Willie will be coaching here as long as Trevor and Jim have confidence in him. Always stick with Plan A until proven it doesn't work. Honestly, we're nowhere near that point yet, IMO. 

18 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

4. The Canucks will have a big bounce back season next year. I do not subscribe to the theory that these are the next Messier Dark Ages. So long as we have the Sedins, they will not let that happen. They're drive is too high. This club will not re sign Vrbata or Hamhuis but will get a scoring winger. But If Benning has any sense, he will first offer Stamkos 10 Mil over 10 years. With a healthy line up next year this will be a playoff team with a second line Centered by Sutter with a Finnish draft pick and probably Lucic. 

We are the lowest scoring team in franchise history. Lucic, or any UFA available will not change this. 

People also assume the rest of the league won't get better. I disagree. I would not so boldly predict that we are one of the only teams in the Western Conference that is trending down. We are trending up 5 years from now, but our spot price doesn't look good. 

If Calgary gets 1/2 a goalie they will be better

If Edmonton gets Mathews they'll be able to move guys for D. They look poised to finally make the moves needed. 

Winnipeg, Arizona and Colorado are stacked with ELITE scoring talent ready to take the next step. 

Dallas, Minny, Chi, LA, St.Louis, Nash, Ana, SJS aren't fading away anytime soon. 

We have too many holes to fill with UFAs and graduates. We don't have the organizational depth to trade for guys like Hamonic for example. 

This has been lurking in the shadows for the past few years now. It's inevitable. 

I am excited to draft generational talent for a change.

Hoping to make the playoffs next year is hoping for a prolonged period of mediocrity. Luckily we are so bad that we won't be able to stop it anymore. 

Embrace it, and watch the new core take shape. 

Archived