The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The state of the union, from a Canucks fan

Type R

On March 25, 2016 at 0:18 PM, higgyfan said:

What we saw last night was the team without 2 of their regular dmen.  When healthy, I don't consider any of these guys #7s.

Edler  Tanev

Hamhuis  Tyramkin

Hutton  Sbisa

Biega  Pedan

I don't know if there's any #1d in the draft; perhaps a #2, but readiness for the NHL is unknown.  Larsen is a rhd and he will likely join the team next season.  There are also UFA options like Demers; a rhd who is entering his prime (27yr) and others as well.

I agree Higgyfan, with Edler and Hammer healthy, our D look decent.  I think we still need a top pairing D-Man that can shore up the blue line and give this team the ability to shut it down when it counts the most.  I'm not entirely sure Hammer will be back next year though, and do you think the Edler / Tanev pairing will hold as number 1 going forward?

On March 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie to you, 19 year old D out of college really derailed the points you were making for me. 

Ha, sorry man, I'm listening to the 1040 to much?  JK, I made that statement off of assumption, the general point still remains though doesn't it?

What if we snag Shattenkirk or Yandle via slight overpay in FA, or somehow convince Lucic to sign here

Get a top 3 draft pick, either Puularvi (Spelling!) or Laine, I think those players are at the same level as matthews, and you know finnish players are feisty and do not back down like swedes. 

Our prospect pool at forward is deep enough to create a package to get a player like Drouin, a high-risk high-reward top end offensive talent. 

All of this because of cap space and the fact we could land a franchise altering draft pick. 

That being said, when have the stars ever aligned for this franchise? 

6 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

What if we snag Shattenkirk or Yandle via slight overpay in FA, or somehow convince Lucic to sign here

Get a top 3 draft pick, either Puularvi (Spelling!) or Laine, I think those players are at the same level as matthews, and you know finnish players are feisty and do not back down like swedes. 

Our prospect pool at forward is deep enough to create a package to get a player like Drouin, a high-risk high-reward top end offensive talent. 

All of this because of cap space and the fact we could land a franchise altering draft pick. 

Just curious.  Which one or two of our prospects could be packaged for a prospect like Drouin ?  We just traded Shinkaruk for a  4th  line forward.  How do you see us getting Drouin ? We have one of the weakest prospects lists of any NHL team.  Our only high end prospect is Demko and Boeser  i doubt we  would package either  in any deal for Drouin.......

6 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Drouin?  Wouldn't you rather have Yak?  Don't get carried away, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I see 1 high priced free agent in our future.  Maybe a lower priced one too.  And a top 3 pick.   To that point, I'm with you.

9 hours ago, Type R said:

Ha, sorry man, I'm listening to the 1040 to much?  JK, I made that statement off of assumption, the general point still remains though doesn't it?

For the most part I agree with your post. I am just a jerk and look at miniscule things and let them ruin things for me for no legitimate reason.

Ahhhh optimism, we've come to that have we. Who needs a solid team when you've got optimism...sometimes I feel like I'm on the Coilers boards (SEP: we're gonna win the cup this year for sure, just wait, you'll see / MAR: just one more top 5 pick and we're a contender, just wait, you'll see).

Then there's reality. Some of our players are castoffs some other teams. Some of our players passed through waivers and no one wanted them. Here's MY state of the union address (injuries aside and even if we were at full strength):

1/ We have 2 first line players

2/ We have a team FULL of 3rd and 4th liners

3/ We have 2 top 4 D-men and the rest are borderline NHL'ers on an ACTUAL contender

4/ We are a LONG WAY from being an actual contender

5/ The fact that we have won ANY games this season means WD should win coach of the year

6/ This is the lowest we've been in a long time, and probably up there as one of the 3 or 4 worst Canucks teams we've ever seen.

7/ Is there hope on the horizon? Well, 4 first O/A picks we don't / didn't have (like the Coilers), so I guess we'll have to make do with what we do have.

8/ Be prepared for about a 2+ year rebuild, and that's if all pieces come together and fall into place (ie/ JB+TL are able to get all the pieces - picks, UFA's, trades - that they want / need to get it done and our prospects pan out...otherwise, we're in rebuild mode - a la TML - for a long time).

9/ Then there's chemistry. Losing teams seem to cultivate a who cares attitude (as long as there's fans in the stands, owner's are making money and I'm getting a paycheque). This is a deadly virus, and sadly I think one that started to infect the dressing room with the Torts experiment...some bad mojo was allowed to be released in the room. Let's hope we can turn enough players around and bring in enough fresh air to turn that around.

10/ WD and JB are NOT the problem. Again I compare to the Coilers...they've got TM and PC (2 of the brightest hockey minds in the NHL today), and they're having a hard time. The problem is the players. Start there. Stop the management / leadership carousel NOW. I constantly read how one or both should be fired this off-season...NO! Fix the player issues. Get them to gel together and play the coach's system.

OK...end rant.

On 25/03/2016 at 3:53 PM, Patrik Laine said:

Not only that but I also front check, side check, and discount double check. 

Pulj is the better overall player when looking at the all round game. Pulley harvey doesn't have Line-eh's shot or aggressive style.

But he is more responsible defensively and a slightly smoother skater with more finesse.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

not bad 9 outa 10.   but the castoffs and waiver travellers were picked by this current regime.  I will add a .5 so your GPA doesn't get lowered lol

Thanks Chilli...just had to get that off my chest. I'm usually the optimistic one, ragging on guys for being so negative. But I just can't do it this year anymore...I'll try again next year. You'll see, one solid top 3 pick and a big F/A signing and we're a contender...NO, STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!

Archived