The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The reason we suck right now, if you don't know.

Inge34

2 hours ago, Inge34 said:

There are a very high percentage of posters who think that this management team is to blame for us being a bad team and often accuse them of mismanagement and so forth. They are learning as they go...Coach, GM and Prez are in there sophomor.

Go Canucks Go!!!!

This has proven to be an urban myth. When compared with the rest of the league, for the amount of drafted players in the league, the Vancouver Canucks have a very average draft history. Right smack dab in the middle. Not too good, not too bad.

There is a full report on this.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Still better than a guy who'll never be a legit NHLer.  The guy projects to Andrew Ebbed 2.0.

How many games has he played?  How many years did Kesler, Bieksa, Sedins take to develope? I'm not saying all these kids are stars but people who judge so fast would have given up on all of them.  

Its been so long since we have had prospects so many forget how long it takes some times.  This is the NHL... Not AHL

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Injuries.

Yup. The OP does have a point though, we'd have more depth now without the crappy drafting history, but we'd be still in the hunt for a playoff spot if Sutter hadn't been injured, twice and we still had Edler in the lineup even with the lack of depth. 

32 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

How many games has he played?  How many years did Kesler, Bieksa, Sedins take to develope? I'm not saying all these kids are stars but people who judge so fast would have given up on all of them.  

Its been so long since we have had prospects so many forget how long it takes some times.  This is the NHL... Not AHL

And Benning just gave away a good prospect for this plug.

Hopefully it's a short journey. I happen to believe that it will be. I make insane predictions that come true, but I believe that the young Canucks of 2016 will make the playoffs next year. 2 rookie defensemen that could step in and play a top 6 role within 1 season? Hutton and Tryamkin is the perfect match.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He traded a solid goalscoring prospect for a streaming pile of junk.  I think it's reasonable to question his judgement at this point.

Hunter is a huge boom or bust prospect... He could be the next Vrbata in his prime or he could be the next Jordan Shroeder...  IMO he has Mason Raymond top end ceiling...Not as solid a prospect as you make him out to be.

Our drafting of the past was natoriously bad possibly the worst in the entire NHL but over the past couple of season it looks promising that it might be getting better. The higher picks that we get the harder to get them wrong :P hopefully this is the year we get our elite home run talent.

Don't think there is one single reason why we suck now. Poor drafting? Sure, that's one big reason but not the only reason. 

-Poor drafting as stated in the OP. To build a successful franchise, you should be able to get one NHL player from every draft. We failed at this for many years.

-Poor asset management. Luongo and Schneider is one big f*ck up but smaller f*ck ups like getting Ballard when we already had 5 top 4 caliber defenders in Edler, Salo, Erhoff, Bieksa, and Hamhuis. Could have used a good scoring forward with 4.5 mil cap that we were paying Ballard or a big shutdown defender. Even better, if Gillis did his homework, he would have known that Kuznetsov was going to be a first line center and would have picked him instead of trading our first in the Ballard trade (hindsight, I know).

-Firing AV. Looking back, he was a "real" coach. 

-# of injuries to the key players in this season... have never seen this many injuries before.

-Not upgrading the roster properly to build up on last season's success. Lost good depth but weren't able to replace them.

-Handing the roster spots to the youth, somewhat prematurely. Somewhat related to the above point. Overly optimistic on youth movement might have been the reason why the management decided not to upgrade the roster.

-Aging players, Higgins and Burrows have reached the twilight of their careers. Even the Sedins aren't dominant anymore (Sedins are still good though and have not reached the retirement stage like Higgins and Burr have).

-Poor coaching -- allowing the first goal so many times this season implies that the team was not ready to start the game. Unable to maintain leads, or to string more than two wins. 7 straight OT losses. Not able to come out of losing streaks. Poor defensive structure. Goal scoring droughts. PP problems. The list goes on.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He traded a solid goalscoring prospect for a streaming pile of junk.  I think it's reasonable to question his judgement at this point.

You mean the guy currently playing in the AHL who can't crack the lineup of the 6th worst team in the NHL? Maybe HE'S the one who's a pile of junk and not the guy we got who's actually in the NHL and could be a serviceable bottom 6 guy?  Let's wait a couple of years and see who the actual piece of junk is in that deal. 

We also stole Baertschi from the same team so who really cares?  You can question his judgement all you want and JB has made some blunders, but his draft picks so far have been all world and so I'm excited to see how they will all fit on this team in the next couple of years. The Sutter trade was also solid. Can't wait to see him play a full year with us. He will really help to take the load off of Bo...

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Still better than a guy who'll never be a legit NHLer.  The guy projects to Andrew Ebbed 2.0.

Hmm...last year people were saying Baer was a waste of 2nd round pick.  This year he has 14 goals and 27 points and is one of the few forwards that looks dangerous. You might want to give it a bit before writing guys off. Considering our previous regime traded Connauton one of our few defensive picks for a rental of Derek Roy. I don't see how so far Benning is worse. There's also these folks called Professional Scouts, and our coaches in Utica. Maybe seeing Shink day in day out they have a better understanding what we have. Personally I wouldn't have done that trade. But maybe they know something that we don't? 

2 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

When compared with the rest of the league, Canucks drafting is average.

Yes this is true. And I'm sure if an assessment is done 5 years from now starting from the 2014 draft year onwards then that number will change drastically. We could be in the top 10 or top 5 in drafting in the "Benning years"...  

Archived