The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It's not so much what they say as it is where they say it.  We don't know what Naslund said because he didn't say it publicly.  The recent trend for Daniel and Hank to make comments publicly about the level of effort, particularly of the kids, is a strategy I think is counter-productive.

Your reference regarding Naslund would seem to support my position.  Leaders lead and say what they have to in the room.

Another example is in the 2011  run where we had Chicago down 3-0 in games.  Toews was emotional and extremely upset with his team but all his statements referred to "we" as in "we need to be better"; "we haven't played well enough"; "we haven't exposed them for what they are".  Obviously some players weren't bringing it but he never isolated anyone on the team. 

I am not a fan of the recent comments that hang certain players out to dry.  It seems to me the vets are pointing the finger at the kids which will only serve to create a separation in the dressing room and do little to build the new team identity. 

As for the twins themselves...they have failed to get points in 4 of the last 5 games.   The Twins are our #1 PP unit and still, have not been able to get points.  They get preferred O-zone starts while Bo is left to do the d-zone lifting and shut down work.  Blaming the kids is mis-directed. 

His comments didn't single anyone out though he merely said youth isn't an excuse for struggling so much. He didn't say "we are struggling because of the youth on the roster"

He also said everyone has to work hard at the NHL level. To me he wasn't singling them out.

It's a quote many have seemed to take out of context. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

His comments didn't single anyone out though he merely said youth isn't an excuse for struggling so much. He didn't say "we are struggling because of the youth on the roster"

He also said everyone has to work hard at the NHL level. To me he wasn't singling them out.

It's a quote many have seemed to take out of context. 

I think you are trying too hard to not connect his comments to the youth. I think his comments are pretty clear and possibly warranted...in private.

I think Bo's comments were more the kind of thing a team leader should say under the circumstances. "It's so crazy coming into the league at such a young age, and when the team's not doing well, it puts more pressure on you," said Bo Horvat, the 20-year-old whose 140 NHL games qualifies him as the grizzled veteran in this group. "I think (the rookies) have done a great job this year, but it's tough on them and tough on the whole team."

This shows the challenge the kids face and an understanding of their struggle to perform every game.

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think you are trying too hard to not connect his comments to the youth. I think his comments are pretty clear and possibly warranted...in private.

I think Bo's comments were more the kind of thing a team leader should say under the circumstances. "It's so crazy coming into the league at such a young age, and when the team's not doing well, it puts more pressure on you," said Bo Horvat, the 20-year-old whose 140 NHL games qualifies him as the grizzled veteran in this group. "I think (the rookies) have done a great job this year, but it's tough on them and tough on the whole team."

This shows the challenge the kids face and an understanding of their struggle to perform every game.

Both Bo and Sedins comments are fine imo, I personally think you're trying too hard to connect it to being directed towards the rookies...

I mean if Sedins comments affect our rookies they really don't belong in the NHL anyway as they were very tame and you're making way too much out of nothing...

59 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Both Bo and Sedin's comments are fine imo, I personally think you're trying too hard to connect it to being directed towards the rookies...

I mean if Sedin's comments affect our rookies they really don't belong in the NHL anyway as they were very tame and you're making way too much out of nothing...

Respectfully disagree.

21 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

Lol oilers fans have been saying " this is our year to make the playoffs" for 5 years!  Give it up, a rebuild shouldn't take 10 years to get you in the playoffs.. Maybe to be a cup contender but this rebuild for Edmonton has been going on forever! And still bottom of the barrel. Try using facts in your posts it helps discussions stay on track ;) 

Sounds like your letting some dangerous opinions sneak into you facts....be carefull.  No...not really.

I watched the end of the Oiler game against the Kings yesterday...we are in trouble.  Mcdavid was giving the puck to the Kings so he could make plays with their sticks....kind of like that...why are you hittin yourself..huh..huh... thing.  lol

On 3/26/2016 at 7:21 AM, Pete M said:

Winners don't need excuses...all above are excuses...

He has been here two years and was smug at the start of the year that he was building a contender on the fly and was going to compete for a playoff spot...this doesn't concern you?

Fast forward...he's now competing for the worst record in the league...

The worst record in the league was not predictable...but not making the playoffs was predictable after his offseason moves.

I honestly don't see any of it as an excuse other than Higgins.

Burrows has history with the team, and if accounts of him being (trying to be?) a good mentor to young guys then [given how hard he had to work to get here] I did not want him traded this past offseason. If Higgins was offered and nobody bit then waiving him before the season would have been fine. We had no real body to replace confidently replace him at the time though, and as the hope entering the season was obviously to not be battling as many injuries as we have been battling, he stayed. JB can't waive him early, replace him with a rookie who learns on the fly, and expect to come out farther ahead than he would have with Higgins in the first place.

The only way to really upgrade this specific team would be to draft, develop, and wait, or continue to do what so many GM's have tried to do over previous years. Move picks for [hopefully] immediate help, and try not to bungle it like almost always. 

JB speaks plainly. I have never once viewed it as smug-ness. It 's just his calm, flat, dry manner of speaking. 

I never imagined we'd be in this position when the season started. I figured we'd be battling for a playoff spot, and maybe missing by a narrow margin. When Injuries stated to pile up the team showed itself as a 0.500 club. JB making reactionary moves to salvage a "maybe" season would not benefit the club long term. 

This season has shown that rookies have a large learning curve to overcome when stepping in to the NHL en masse. I just can't call that an excuse.

edit: I realize this thread is about to die. I would have replied earlier, but was away.

On 3/26/2016 at 7:32 PM, crazycry said:

poor Marky.... but the tank is travelling at full speed! we're coming Matthews! 

poor both goalies lol.  No matter who's in net or how good they play we are losing every game.  I'm not complaining of course just saying.  Hopefully we can get Matthews :)

Archived