The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trading 1st Overall

I say this everywhere - if you get #1, you don't trade it. End of discussion. Announce at the lottery that we'll be selecting Auston Matthews, and allow the wolves to fight over the scraps.

9 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I say this everywhere - if you get #1, you don't trade it. End of discussion. Announce at the lottery that we'll be selecting Auston Matthews, and allow the wolves to fight over the scraps.

Yeah if Benning traded the 1st overall he should be fired on the draft floor 2 seconds after he did it.

13 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

here is the probleme, would you either :

pick up Laine with your first overall, 

or 

trade your first to get the 2nd ((lets say from toronto)  and high talented prospect (no one from TO comes to my mind immediatelly), and select Laine.

did i mention i would like to select Laine ? 

Realistically there's 2 groups who are interested in our first rounder:

BEFORE THE LOTTERY: only teams finishing out of the bottom 5

I agree that our pick is at its most valuable BEFORE the lottery. Problem is, due to the lottery system, so is anyone else in the bottom 5. Could you imagine being a GM who gives away a top prospect or positional player plus your top 5 pick, then after the lottery find out that your team won the first O/A...and you gave it away?! Now there's a GM who'd be on the hotseat. The caveat here would be if a team wanted to pull a Quinn/Sedin move and would be willing to part with more prospects and players to get our 1st and coupled with theirs get 2 top 3/4 guys this year (I believe CBJ was mentioned).

AFTER THE LOTTERY: anyone looking to move up

Now the floor is wide open, but I believe the return would be less (again unless a team wanted badly more than 1 top 5 pick).

My opinion is...move it before the lottery...we have more than 1 hole to fill.

Our 1st to either NSH (Johansen + their 1st) or Ottawa (Turris + their 1st)

Then flip the first we got + Edler for a top pair PMD

In one draft we filled 2 holes and our lines look more like this:

1A - SEDINS with HANSEN or VIRT or UFA winger (ie/ Lucic)

1B -  JOHANSEN or TURRIS with whoever (BAER, VIRT, McCANN etc.)

and in the following season just flip those lines (1a to 1b / 1b to 1a)

If we played each top line about 19 to 21 minutes a game, there are few teams in the league that have the d-men to cover 2 top lines for 40 minutes a game, would open up some scoring chances for sure. Then on top of that we have a top PMD/PPQB, well I think that the rebuild will have been accomplished in one summer.

15 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Realistically there's 2 groups who are interested in our first rounder:

BEFORE THE LOTTERY: only teams finishing out of the bottom 5

I agree that our pick is at its most valuable BEFORE the lottery. Problem is, due to the lottery system, so is anyone else in the bottom 5. Could you imagine being a GM who gives away a top prospect or positional player plus your top 5 pick, then after the lottery find out that your team won the first O/A...and you gave it away?! Now there's a GM who'd be on the hotseat. The caveat here would be if a team wanted to pull a Quinn/Sedin move and would be willing to part with more prospects and players to get our 1st and coupled with theirs get 2 top 3/4 guys this year (I believe CBJ was mentioned).

AFTER THE LOTTERY: anyone looking to move up

Now the floor is wide open, but I believe the return would be less (again unless a team wanted badly more than 1 top 5 pick).

My opinion is...move it before the lottery...we have more than 1 hole to fill.

Our 1st to either NSH (Johansen + their 1st) or Ottawa (Turris + their 1st)

Then flip the first we got + Edler for a top pair PMD

In one draft we filled 2 holes and our lines look more like this:

1A - SEDINS with HANSEN or VIRT or UFA winger (ie/ Lucic)

1B -  JOHANSEN or TURRIS with whoever (BAER, VIRT, McCANN etc.)

and in the following season just flip those lines (1a to 1b / 1b to 1a)

If we played each top line about 19 to 21 minutes a game, there are few teams in the league that have the d-men to cover 2 top lines for 40 minutes a game, would open up some scoring chances for sure. Then on top of that we have a top PMD/PPQB, well I think that the rebuild will have been accomplished in one summer.

Before the lottery isn't going to happen, it shouldn't even be in the conversation.

The lottery happens on April 30th.  There's a good chance a team like NSH will still be in the playoffs. 

on top of that zero teams would trade a potential 1st overall pick, can you imagine being the GM that traded away Auston Matthews for only Turris and the 9th overall.  The most value our pick will be is when we win the 1st overall and let teams start the bidding over it. 

draft lottery april 30 ,combine and interviews usually the first week of june. all 7 canadian teams have a shot at matthews ,more than enough time for gm's to pick his brain about his position on playing for a canadian team, with apparent rumour's out there that he doesn't like the idea of being picked by a canadian  team, which i haven't been able to find any quote's on. i suppose if there's any truth to it he will become vocal about it as things unfold.

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

As long as that 1st is 4th or higher, I'm ok with that.  Anything lower than 4th and we tell them to get a better pick or pound sand.

You are insane OEL is established young and viable #1 dman. 1 overall plus a little extra is more than fair.

anyways I think we need skilled forwards more than defence at the moment so I'm keeping the picks and taking my shots at Matthews and the Finns 

3 minutes ago, goblix said:

You are insane OEL is established young and viable #1 dman. 1 overall plus a little extra is more than fair.

anyways I think we need skilled forwards more than defence at the moment so I'm keeping the picks and taking my shots at Matthews and the Finns 

I'm not comfortable trading the pick unless there's a serious overpayment.  

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not comfortable trading the pick unless there's a serious overpayment.  

That's one point and you can have that stand point but there's a difference between worth / value and what you would want. Let's not get too overboard with this.

Anyways like I said I'd rather take Matthews / either Finn and run away with it

34 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Seriously.  Unless there's a Kane or McDavid like player coming back...we're keeping that 1st overall.

Seriously do you expect that ? why would teams trade a more established franchise cornerstone for a 1st overall? especially one that was drafted last year and showed tremendously this year...

I understand your making a point but why bother mentioning something so obtuse.

the only reason i would consider dealing the Matthews pick was because he is american and rumors say if he might not be in it long term. 

however, i wouldn't trade down any lower then 3rd overall.

what if wpg has the 3rd overall pick and they are dangling trouba?

to van: trouba, laine or pulujarvi

to wpg: matthews

4 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

ARI: 1st overall Pick (Matthews), and Sbisa

VAN: Ekman-Larsson, Domi, and the ARI 2016 1st

Then select one of Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev

Or trade OEL to the Oilers and pick two from your list? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Or trade OEL to the Oilers and pick two from your list? 

I would much rather keep OEL. If we selected two from that list then we'd have one dman and one forward, but I think OEL will be much better than any of those dmen, except for maybe Chychrun. IMO OEL is a Norris-worthy defenseman and he's only 24.

I would settle for a core of:

Baertschi - Dubois - Boeser

Domi - Horvat - Virtanen

OEL - Tryamkin

Hutton - Tanev

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Asking for Domi, OEL, and a top 10 pick is entering Crosby territory of elite.

There's no way Matthews is worth that much.

Of course he's not!  This is Arizona, and Matthews is their home grown - so to speak - star.  Personally I think Dubois may be the better player anyway.  But to get OEL, their pick, and Dummy might be the price they would pay.  IMHAO, of course

JUST STOP!!! There is no way in hell that the Canucks should trade their first overall pick if they get one. Matthews is close to a franchise player, hes compared to kopitar and Toews. Why would we trade that?! Even if we get 2nd,3rd or 4th we shouldn't trade it. Laine puljuarvi and tkachuk are all future first liners. You can't pass on that at all especially when our team can't score. Defenceman can be picked up anywhere but first liners can't. 

Archived