The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Someone Explain The Tie Breaker?

TheGuardian_

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Still can't figure that one out. The Nucks have 13 points from OTL's, TO has 7. Trying to figure that out as well.

I thought it was points from wins that count.

Canucks 27 wins, TO 30 wins. Canucks 4 shoot out wins, TO 6 shoot out wins = Van - 23 W, TO - 24 W

Canucks lost both games vs TO.

Canucks goals for goals against (plus minus) is worse than TO's.

I can't find any combination that the Nucks are superior in.

Pretty sure it goes by regulation losses. If u look at Toronto Edmonton and can they are in order of most to least. Same thing with Colorado New Jersey and carolinia 

edit : nevermind , found tied teams where that's not the case. I have no idea 

Tie Breakers

1) Points

2) Fewer games played (this only matters during the season because at season's end they've all played 82)

3) Regulation and OT Wins (ROW)

4) Points earned in games between tied clubs (if the number of games between each team isn't the same, the excess games are ignored keeping the most recent games and eliminating ones earlier in the season)

5) Goal differential for the entire season

6) Goals for for the entire season
7) Random draw

Currently, Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton all have 67 points so #1 can't solve it so we advance to line #2. Edmonton has played 79 so they're last, Vancouver and Toronto have played 76 so line #2 won't work for them so we advance to line #3 and look at ROW. Vancouver has 23 Regulation and OT wins whereas Toronto only has 22 so Vancouver is third last, Toronto is second last and Edmonton is last. We don't need to advance to line #4 as we've differentiated all three. If after the next game, the Canucks win in a shootout and the Leafs win in regulation or OT, then we would need to go to line #4 where Toronto would be ahead of Vancouver.

Also, the draft order has additional modifications, teams that miss the playoffs are always seeded higher than teams that make it and the Stanley Cup Final 4 teams always get the last 4 spots. The draft order is otherwise the reverse of the final standings excepting the above mods and the draft lottery mod.

9 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Like I figured it out but it is goofy, the OTL points to get the tie but then the OTW points are subtracted from the win column, but without the OTL points, there is no tie. arse backwards. Can't have the tie without counting the points for losing.

How can you subtract points from wins?

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Like I figured it out but it is goofy, the OTL points to get the tie but then the OTW points are subtracted from the win column, but without the OTL points, there is no tie. arse backwards. Can't have the tie without counting the points for losing.

You're still over complicating this.

Do you know the difference between the W and the ROW columns?

Its really simple. First you look at points. They are both tied. Okay. Then you look at games played, they are the same.

Now you look at ROW. Do not minus anything, do not do any math other than knowing which number is greater. Vancouver has more ROWs than Toronto, they are ahead in the standings.

2 minutes ago, \/ijay said:

Its really simple. First you look at points. They are both tied. Okay. Then you look at games played, they are the same.

Now you look at ROW. Do not minus anything, do not do any math other than knowing which number is greater. Vancouver has more ROWs than Toronto, they are ahead in the standings.

Yes, this is exactly what I said from the beginning of this thread. But he still does these weird calculations that I am not able to compute.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yes, this is exactly what I said from the beginning of this thread. But he still does these weird calculations that I am not able to compute.

Thats why I added the "do not do any math" part :P

1 hour ago, GothiousRex said:

Tie Breakers

1) Points

2) Fewer games played (this only matters during the season because at season's end they've all played 82)

3) Regulation and OT Wins (ROW)

4) Points earned in games between tied clubs (if the number of games between each team isn't the same, the excess games are ignored keeping the most recent games and eliminating ones earlier in the season)

5) Goal differential for the entire season

6) Goals for for the entire season
7) Random draw

Currently, Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton all have 67 points so #1 can't solve it so we advance to line #2. Edmonton has played 79 so they're last, Vancouver and Toronto have played 76 so line #2 won't work for them so we advance to line #3 and look at ROW. Vancouver has 23 Regulation and OT wins whereas Toronto only has 22 so Vancouver is third last, Toronto is second last and Edmonton is last. We don't need to advance to line #4 as we've differentiated all three. If after the next game, the Canucks win in a shootout and the Leafs win in regulation or OT, then we would need to go to line #4 where Toronto would be ahead of Vancouver.

Also, the draft order has additional modifications, teams that miss the playoffs are always seeded higher than teams that make it and the Stanley Cup Final 4 teams always get the last 4 spots. The draft order is otherwise the reverse of the final standings excepting the above mods and the draft lottery mod.

This is the best explanation IMO. Good post. I've been a fan forever and I didn't even know this. Lol. Thanks 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I felt like I was repeating the same thing over and over again, but he kept on ignoring me by not reading what I had said. :lol: 

You're first post in this thread said it all and he kept ignoring the simplest explanations. It was his solution of deducting from the win column in his arse backwards solution that made this thread feel a bit like one of the troll threads that clutch was famous for.

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Stop doing maths to figure this out.  At the end of the season when all teams have played 82 games, the team with the higher points finishes higher in the standings.  If two teams are tied in points it goes by ROWs.  You do not have to add or subtract, NHL.com has done this for you.  JUST LOOK AT THE ROW COLUMN.

Archived