The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nux 4- Sharts 2 - March 31, 2016

Toni Zamboni

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Prior to tonight, I was all for keeping Hamhuis. Now, I think we should not re-sign him. Great defensively but can't move puck out nor can he keep the puck in during PP. As long as he's here, WD will continue to use him on PP, which equals to frustration for the viewers.

Other thing to note is that having Tanev back made our defence much better. Edler, Tanev, Hutton, and Tryamkin are going to be our top 4 next season and I think barring injuries, we will be able to compete for the playoffs with those 4 guys. But of course, not good enough to compete for the cup with just those 4 unless Hutton and Tryamkin continues their development and become a true #1 pairing. 

Oh and love Biega's hard work but he can't make a straight tape to tape pass. I've noticed him missing easy passes so many times, not only this game but many games in the past.

Three games in a row where Higgins playing inspired and like he used to. Good to see.

Adding Matthews or one of the Finns and signing a good UFA forward for the Sedins will get this team competing for the playoffs next season. 

Henrik was even worse moving the puck tonight. Trade him too?

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Prior to tonight, I was all for keeping Hamhuis. Now, I think we should not re-sign him. Great defensively but can't move puck out nor can he keep the puck in during PP. As long as he's here, WD will continue to use him on PP, which equals to frustration for the viewers.

With (hopefully minimally) Larsen in next year, ideally Hamhuis won't be on the PP any longer.  Then again, Tanev shouldn't be on it either.

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well it cost us the biggest chance to land a top 3 pick in team history. there's no way we finish below toronto, and that win probably ends all hope of finishing below edmonton.. now we have a good chance to finish ahead of winnipeg and columbus too.. so we can probably kiss the 2 Defensemen good bye too

Our biggest chance at a top 3 pick...where do you think the twins, Nedved, Linden, and Tallon came from? At least try a quick Google search before you go spewing this desi-esque crap everywhere.

1 minute ago, beni said:

Laughing at the people crying about a win. 

Pure gold. 1st rounders can still be busts. 

Yeah, I was reading an article on 24hrs (the one handed out on skytrains and buses) on how this Canucks team parallels to 05-06 and 06-07 Flyers.

- 05-06 Flyers had 101 points but bounced in the 1st round (like we did last season) and were captained by an aging Swede in Peter Forsberg (like we are captained by an aging Swede in Henrik) but,

- 06-07 team had  22 wins and finished dead last.

But, with young players like RIchards and Carter coming along, and with a high draft pick that they got, they were able to turn the team around rather quickly and eventually made an appearance at the cup final in 2010. Basically the article was about how the author hopes that the Canucks can also turn the team around quickly like the Flyers did.

I was thinking, hmmm. who was it that the Flyers picked with the high draft pick they got for sucking... they picked a good player but he is not even on their team anymore whereas the guy who was picked just before him will be an MVP this season. The article actually got me a bit scared actually and now I'm hoping we get the #1 overall because although JVR is not a bust, he definitely isn't Patrick Kane.

1 minute ago, pavel berezin said:

It's nice to see a Canucks win this otherwise forgettable season. I was sure the Canucks were going to get another one get away when the Sharks tied it. Great shot by Hansen.

You and your fancy font. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Give your heads a shake Matthews dreamers.

Get through to yourself that the Canucks in all likelihood will be picking somewhere from 4 to 8 or 9 - and you won't be setting yourself up for such irrational disappointment.

Totally happy with Chychrun.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

you do know for each team that's 27th and higher that moves up.. our chance to land a higher pick is exponentially worse right?

1. Tonight's 2 pts will probably cost the team one spot in the draft rankings. I admit that could be costly, but it is only one spot.

2. I don't think the effect on draft lottery probabilities is exponential. According to my calculations if the Canucks move from 29th place to 28th place, for example, the chance of getting a lottery pick drops from about 55% to about 40%. If they move to 27th the chance of getting a lottery pick drops to about 30%. And I think the chance of getting a lottery pick from 26th place is about 22%.

So each spot makes a significant difference, but I don't think that progression is exponential. Each successive move up the standings has a smaller and smaller incremental effect on getting a lottery pick.

Obviously it is important to get a lottery pick if possible. But there is a lot of uncertainty over the relative quality of the next 5 or 6 players.

13 minutes ago, pavel berezin said:

It's nice to see a Canucks win this otherwise forgettable season. I was sure the Canucks were going to get another one get away when the Sharks tied it. Great shot by Hansen.

Holy. What are you typing on a type writer?

Archived