The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Thatcher Demko

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If I am Demko there's no way I do not sign with Vancouver. Look at the goaltending depth here.

Miller is signed for 1 more year and there's Markstrom. There's very little behind that.

The door is wide open for him.

Agreed. He should by all means be the #1 in Utica next year to be groomed to start as Markstrom's back up for the 2017-18 season. Then the season after the two of them battle it out for the starter job. That's how I see it playing out. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

What if the offer was from Calgary or the Coilers, and it was for a top pick 6-10; would you trade him then?  Or would it be wiser to trade Markstrom?

I really do not believe we should be trading any prospects.  Not until we are in the position of strength, where we have more good prospects, fully developed, than we can place on the team in the position we are trading from.

He's worthless

Literally worthless.

Nothing ANY team can give us in return is worth it for us barring a top 2 potential D man, a top 3 potential first liner or a top 3 pick.

He represents out future and to even debate trading him at this point is to continue walking down that same damned road we've been walking for over 40 years.

Enough for "trading youth for the present" because it leaves us with no future

Thanks for the replies everyone.   I'm certainly not suggesting that trading Thatcher is a move we want to make,  I just wanted to see what his value was if we could not get him signed.  Hopefully he signs this summer,  and in 4 years is our franchise goalie.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:18 PM, D-Money said:

Goalies are hit-and-miss, and very hard to project. For every Luongo, Fleury, and Price, there are multiple high picks that end up wasted. Dipietro, Krahn, Leclaire, Blackburn, Montoya, Bernier, and Helenius were all taken in the first half of the first round between 2000-2006. Meanwhile, those same drafts produced Lundqvist (7th round), Smith (5th), Elliott (9th), Halak (9th), Crawford (2nd), Howard (2nd), Quick (3rd), Bishop (3rd), Reimer (4th), and Mason (3rd). Also, teams realized they could find good goaltending from undrafted free agents (Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph, Tim Thomas* [drafted, but unsigned], Nicklas Backstrom, Dwayne Roloson, Sergei Bobrovsky, Jonas Hiller, Antti Niemi, Martin Jones, etc.). So unless you really hit a home run, even a decent drafted goalie wasn't necessarily better than someone you could find for free elsewhere.

So now, goalies are rarely taken at all until the late 1st round anymore. Last year Samsonov was the clear #1 guy available, and he wasn't taken until 22nd overall. The next goalie wasn't picked until pick 42 (Blackwood), and the 3rd not until 70. Teams still took goalies - there were another 21 selected - they just realized that they were more like lottery tickets than picking any other position.

As for the Flames, they have 2 very good goaltending prospects already, in Mason MacDonald and Jon Gillies. Joni Ortio and Nick Schneider also have upside. Between the 4 of them, at least one should end up a good starter, and another a decent back-up. They have no need for another prospect, even one as good as Demko.

I agree with what you are saying, but my argument is that the goalies being selected in a draft are 18 years old. Demko is 20 years old and keeps getting better every year, he is a lesser risk than an 18 year old goaltender. This increases his value tremendously and in my opinion you could fetch a mid 1st round pick for a prospect of that caliber.

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I agree with what you are saying, but my argument is that the goalies being selected in a draft are 18 years old. Demko is 20 years old and keeps getting better every year, he is a lesser risk than an 18 year old goaltender. This increases his value tremendously and in my opinion you could fetch a mid 1st round pick for a prospect of that caliber.

Check what I was replying to. The poster was saying the truly elite young goaltenders are taken high in the draft (Luongo, Price, Fleury). I was just pointing out that wasn't the case anymore.

I said earlier I'd expect Demko's trade value to be similar to what we got for Schneider. But at the same time, I don't want him traded at all.

For the record, I'd rather Benning sign Demko.

However, if Demko made it known that he was going to pull a 'Vesey' on the team - then I'd have no problem dealing the kid.  Benning and Linden have said from day 1 they want people in a Canucks uniform that WANT to be here.

If the Canucks don't end up in the top 3-5 of this year's draft - I'd easily do a Demko + our 1st to whomever holds the Austin Matthews pick and their second. 

Archived