The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A potential goodbye to Alex Burrows

Brouhaha

Sigh.... If it wasn't for the speculation about Burrows last game as a Canuck, I wouldn't have thought much about him playing with the twins tonight...

The fact he played with the twins, was given a few opportunities late in the 3rd to try and get that GWG, and out on the ice in OT and be in the shootout pretty much seems like the Canucks were trying to send him off on a high... Haven't seen him send the arrow in such a long time and I think tonight when he scored in the shootout it was to Luc and the Canucks.

I really hope he ends his career a Canuck. 

One of my favorite Canucks of all time. We don't make 2011 finals without him. 

I think burrows , it hits a personal cord. So many great bbq's, tailgate parties , insane downtown experiences with friends and good times tied to this guy. 

We will miss ya burr 

One of my favorite Canucks of all time. We don't make 2011 finals without him. 

I think burrows , it hits a personal cord. So many great bbq's, tailgate parties , insane downtown experiences with friends and good times tied to this guy. 

We will miss ya burr 

image.png

Previous to tonight's game, I hadn't heard any speculation he might not be back.  Traded if we could, but we couldn't.  Bought out?  Doesn't seem likely.  He might not be much of a producer on the ice any longer, but 1 year isn't that horrible to have to live with, when our young guys still require development and we're not exactly vying for the cup in the immediate future.

The leadership he apparently brings I think will be his greatest contribution.  And apparently, he still has it in shootouts....

Reading this, seeing those clips, brought tears to my eyes... Burrows has been my favourite player on the team since he joined the big club. Worked harder then anyone to make it to the NHL, and worked harder then anyone to stay there. I know there is a chance he'll be back, but with us getting Rodin and other new prospects in, as well as his decline in play, the writing seems to be on the wall. Never was there a more clutch player. He got us our first playoff sweep, he slayed Detroit's legendary streak, he slayed Chicago in game 7, he put up one of the most amazing performances against Boston in game 2, he was mere inches from scoring in game 7 to tie 1-1... Burrows has given everything and more to this team. Burr, if this truly was your last game as a Canuck... You will be so, so missed. It's been a privilege getting to watch you both on and off ice for the last 10 years. Forever a Canuck. 

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I really like Burrows, always have. For an undrafted guy to make a line with the Sedin's for several years is pretty amazing. And I'll be happy if we keep him too. Salary aside, he's going to be one of the best PK guys in the league and a perfect fit on the 4ht line. 

If his salary was lower there'd be no discussion about moving him... does anyone know, if he's extended by one year, is his cap hit the final year of this contract + the new, or is it all averaged? It might be worth it to management to keep him for a low 1 year extension if it lowers his cap hit. 

Nope. His cap hit will remain the same at 4.5m and his new cap hit won't kick in until the end of the old contract.

8 hours ago, Apricot said:

Man this post made me tear up man. Definitely could be Burrows last game in a Canucks uniform and I'm honestly not ready to let that go. What a player, what a teammate, what an amazing person all in all. It'll be sad to see him go, IF he does go. 

Losing Burr feels like we're on the cusp of ending out an generation of fans. Luongo has been long gone, Kesler left and Bieksa got traded; the newer fans will never get to know the best Canucks team that has ever played, it breaks my heart. 

When I think of Canuck playoff hockey, the first player that pops up isn't the Sedins, it isn't Kesler, and it isn't Lou. It's Burrows. If I could relive  Game 7 against Chicago or Game 2 against Boston, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If their best defensemen were busy shutting down the twins and Kessie was occupied with holding down the fort, then Burr could get in that clutch goal. Burr could do it. 

I associate him with some of the best moments in team history. In my mind he's up there with guys like Greg Adams, Cliff Ronnng, Geoff courtnall etc... Not super stars but key players who contributed to team success and gave us huge moments in team history.  

Regular blue collar fans can relate to him because of the route he took to get to the nhl. It was all about hard work and perseverance.  The odds have been against him from the start.

You get the sense that he loves the team and the city, and for that he deserves the best from the team and fans. 

Burr deserves another season on this team.

Hopefully a season that would see the team freer from injuries, where we were strengthened in the off season and leading to a season that would do him justice as would befit the old swashbuckler. Not necessarily a long Cup run but at least a decent Cup run.

He deserves to go out on a high, leading the "new team" from the front and who knows maybe he gets his scoring touch back.

In short I don't think there should be any real hurry to let him go. While there were frustrating times when I wished he would take more of his chances I was never left in any doubt that the effort and compete level was still of the highest calibre.

Burrows has been remarkably frank about his situation and the way Willie handled him last night, you do have to think this could be it for him on the Canucks.  I think we have to be prepared for that too.  But if Trader Jim gets busy over the summer and both McCann and Virtanen start next year in Utica, who knows?  I, for one, would be more than happy to see him come back in a 4th line role.  Especially if we don't land any big-time UFA forwards.  He's got exactly the right attitude and personal history to set an example during a rebuild.  A great Canuck, through and through. 

Archived