The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A potential goodbye to Alex Burrows

Brouhaha

To be honest, he has one year left on his contract and yes for what he makes he is not as valuable for the price he is getting paid as he used to be or not the same player as well as he was over years.  However it's one year and he is from what I heard a great leader for the young players, may look up to him.  My opinion ride his contract out for the year let him hopefully inspire some of the young players and help bring out their best.  Every team needs an inspirational leader and just maybe he ends up having a bounce back year, exceeding expectations, if not he can still bring something to this team I think.   I guess time will tell, but whatever happens I will also remember and appreciate what Burrows brought to our team and the city and he will forever be remembered one of the better Canucks in this era.  Either way I wish him the best!

11 hours ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Losing Burr feels like we're on the cusp of ending out an generation of fans. Luongo has been long gone, Kesler left and Bieksa got traded; the newer fans will never get to know the best Canucks team that has ever played, it breaks my heart. 

When I think of Canuck playoff hockey, the first player that pops up isn't the Sedins, it isn't Kesler, and it isn't Lou. It's Burrows. If I could relive  Game 7 against Chicago or Game 2 against Boston, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If their best defensemen were busy shutting down the twins and Kessie was occupied with holding down the fort, then Burr could get in that clutch goal. Burr could do it. 

Someone should put together some of the Canucks' best games -- in one DVD.  Like they do in Football in the UK -- the shortened 20 minute abridged games -- say the 10 best regular season games from the two President's teams in the 2010-2011 period.  And a playoff series or two, also condensed.  This way ppl could see just how great the team was then.  For two years they were the best.  Sure, no cup, but injuries and the leniency on penalties that exists in the playoffs explains that.

Some of you really get it.  I'm glad...it's a shame that some of the loudest voices lately are those of people screaming for "change" but aren't really digesting what we've come through lately.  That this team was pretty great and, as it's been dismantled, that they deserve some credit.  Not just to be tossed aside because the future is bright.  It's been pretty bright for awhile now in the grand scheme of it all.  I, for one, join in the celebration of that vs simply wanting to barrel through and into the "unknown".  Because that's what it is - unknown.  To reach the level at the top that this team did...it's worthy of praise and the lack of respect for that is sad.  The way people throw players under the bus.

Thanks to the Canucks who've given us a lot to cheer for.  As the torch changes hands, it doesn't have to be in spite of one group that we get excited about another.  I'm glad they don't do that....could you imagine?

Feeling very stoic and reflective.  It's a sad time along with one of anticipation and happiness.  I'm glad some aren't so quick to forget.  Thanks guys, cheers.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some of you really get it.  I'm glad...it's a shame that some of the loudest voices lately are those of people screaming for "change" but aren't really digesting what we've come through lately.  That this team was pretty great and, as it's been dismantled, that they deserve some credit.  Not just to be tossed aside because the future is bright.  It's been pretty bright for awhile now in the grand scheme of it all.  I, for one, join in the celebration of that vs simply wanting to barrel through and into the "unknown".  Because that's what it is - unknown.  To reach the level at the top that this team did...it's worthy of praise and the lack of respect for that is sad.  The way people throw players under the bus.

Thanks to the Canucks who've given us a lot to cheer for.  As the torch changes hands, it doesn't have to be in spite of one group that we get excited about another.  I'm glad they don't do that....could you imagine?

Feeling very stoic and reflective.  It's a sad time along with one of anticipation and happiness.  I'm glad some aren't so quick to forget.  Thanks guys, cheers.

I think Burr is back next season, personally

I don't see the point in a buyout, and a trade is not likely.

The team is rebuilding and next year's goal will be to make the playoffs.

They will not be a top contender.  A buyout just costs the owner cash.

Unless they do a lot of trades this summer and want to sign some UFAs and absolutely need that extra cap space.

I think they just keep him on the roster.

On the other hand, if they do announce in the next few days that they do intent to buyout, then we should expect some action this summer.

18 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I don't see the point in a buyout, and a trade is not likely.

The team is rebuilding and next year's goal will be to make the playoffs.

They will not be a top contender.  A buyout just costs the owner cash.

Unless they do a lot of trades this summer and want to sign some UFAs and absolutely need that extra cap space.

I think they just keep him on the roster.

On the other hand, if they do announce in the next few days that they do intent to buyout, then we should expect some action this summer.

If they decide to buy him out, the only action I want is Benning fired.  Any GM stupid enough to waste cap space for more than one year should not be allowed to make any more decisions to negatively impact the future of the franchise.  We're still suffering the consequences for the previous idiot eating cap for the next decade.

Just had to say, if that was indeed his last game as a Canuck, it was a pretty great farewell performance. -The shootout with the Luc bow and everything... not too many golden moments this season, but this was one for me.

On April 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM, nux4lyfe said:

One of my fav Canuck, I'd give him another shot..dude's been struggling since he got hurt..let him refocus in the off-season, After all, We are going to need Mr. Clutch when we make that big playoff run next season. ::D

Same as vrbata right ?

Great last game for Alex B . What a fantastic way to end your amazing Career in Vancouver. 

Wish you all the best next season where ever you end up. Montreal and a Cup  would be an amazing way for Alex to end his career. 

Canucks and their fans have to put 2011 behind as it was a long time ago. Time to move forward and find our next young Alex Burrows.  Next season our team will not be competing for a Cup so we have no need for a 4.0  mil  PK guy. 

Wish Alex all the best as he was a true warrior on our club for so long......

I don't get all the 'farewell' messages here, he's still a Canuck and there is an equal if not better chance of him staying vs leaving. He's not attractive in the trade market unless we retain significant salary. Buying him out means we carry a cap hit beyond next year after his contract expires. Waiving him would be insulting to him as there are plenty of guys that deserve to play in the AHL comparing to Bur and also we only get 900k cap relief. So there is no financial reason to buy him out unless we are so desperate for cap space next season, which is unlikely given we have so many contracts expiring. He may be more attractive at TDL next year.

To all the ones crying change and get younger. You already had a taste of what a team made up of mostly young players, first year players and AHL promoted players look like. He's one of the very few that can keep the dressing room together and provide leadership during this difficult transition. 

I for one wants to see him stay and retire as a Canuck.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great last game for Alex B . What a fantastic way to end your amazing Career in Vancouver. 

Wish you all the best next season where ever you end up. Montreal and a Cup  would be an amazing way for Alex to end his career. 

Canucks and their fans have to put 2011 behind as it was a long time ago. Time to move forward and find our next young Alex Burrows.  Next season our team will not be competing for a Cup so we have no need for a 4.0  mil  PK guy. 

Wish Alex all the best as he was a true warrior on our club for so long......

:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I sure hope you're right, buddy.

That's what my instinct says too....and it's usually right.  :)

My instinct says he's back, but mine's always wrong. :o. Maybe he's back, but it's in the visitor's dressing room?

I still say Burrows is worth every penny we will and have paid him.

Underpaid 30 goal seasons, penalty kill deluxe, timely goals.

Same goes with Sedins worth every penny.  What kind of price can you put on having they league leader in scoring.  Only one player earns that honour each year.  Especially when competing against other future hall of famers.

I just noticed his contract, and he'd be easy to buyout for next year, or send him to a team trying to reach the cap floor. 

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1852

His contract was front loaded, meaning he made most of his money in the first 2 years. For 2016-17 he will only be making 3m in salary but have a 4.5m cap hit. Teams who have been trying to reach the cap floor in the past, have been willing to pay for contracts like this.

Canucks could just as easily buy out his remaining 3m, which would be 2/3rds over 2-3 years depending on what they work out. So, buying him out would mean only paying 1m a year for the next 2, and a cap hit just north of that. That would save 3 million for another forward. 

I hadn't considered this previously, as I thought he would certainly finish his tenure. Though, his declining production, and contract situation leads me to believe he might not be back...

BURROWS STAYS!

I'm sorry but you want a old timer that people look up to and respect. Look at what where he came from! bottom of the barrel to the ahl and then top line of the nhl.  You can't teach or buy respect! 

These kids comming up need some one to show them how hard work and dedication can over come natural ability. Burrows aint the flashy kind but who is always out there on penalty kills and taking shots and giving them out. People look at the salary and piss and moan but he's earning his money in other ways!

Archived