The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Theodore for McCann

12 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Quit calling Alf an alien for a sec, McCann does have Elite potential according to Bob McKenzie and multiple scouts, his stats don't label him fully. He models his game after Toews, get some more info before arguing.

You don't know what you're responding to.  Try to comprehend the conversation before responding.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On 4/6/2016 at 10:59 AM, Alflives said:

where is the ELITE talent up front to replace the Twins that makes us a CUP level team again?  

On 4/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, Alflives said:

for a team to really become ELITE they need ELITE talent, which most often comes at the top of the draft.  

rinse and repeat, ad infinitum, spam-spam-orama.

(apparently "Alf" has lost his ELITE-blinders)

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

rinse and repeat, ad infinitum, spam-spam-orama.

(apparently "Alf" has lost his ELITE-blinders)

I'm glad you think McCann is Elite!  That's awesome!  Combine his elite skill with his grit, meanness, and determination and we have a future number one center.  Yup Alf agrees with you.  :P

2 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

That may be but I know McCann does have an Elite skill package and upside. You're wrong that he doesn't.

Wow!  You are so right about McCann.  He's got all the skill, shot and skating of the Elite players, and he has toughness, meanness and grit too.  He's like Doug Gilmore!  Excellent Post!!!!!!  You win that argument - BIG TIME

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  You are so right about McCann.  He's got all the skill, shot and skating of the Elite players, and he has toughness, meanness and grit too.  He's like Doug Gilmore!  Excellent Post!!!!!!  You win that argument - BIG TIME

Yeah I never realized how nasty McCann really is, always mixing it up after a scoring chance 

I'd do this in a heartbeat, but I dont the Ducks go for it. They have no need for McCann. Its pretty interesting to see how high people are on McCann around here, labeling him a mean 1C already, when he hasnt even proven he can play at the NHL level yet, let alone a top 6 role, let alone a 1C role. 

I think we should make this trade depending on who we draft in the top-5 this year.

1) Draft Matthews - trade McCann for Theodore + maybe a late pick

2) Draft Laine/Puljujarvi - trade Virtanen for Theodore + late pick

If we get a top center, we can afford to lose McCann and go with Matthews-Horvat-Sutter/Cassels/Gaunce/Granlund down the middle. McCann at 3rd lin center would be nice but Granlund or an ageing Sutter can fill that role easily and we NEED a stud defenceman.

If we get one of the fantastic Finnish wingers, we can afford to lose Virtanen. Laine is a monster, he's a big body and will be a much better powerforward than Virtanen so we can afford to lose him and go with Baertschi, Laine and Boeser as our big wingers going forward.

McCann has been here 1 friggin year as a 19 yr old kid right out of junior and people want to trade him..unreal. You trade this kid and you will regret it in 3-4 years. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and McCann is probably the best offensive young prospect next to Boeser.

It's not about giving up on a prospect, it's about balancing out the pool. Benning has shown he can find steals in drafts. I'm sure he can find another capable center 2nd or third round, or if not, that's what next year is for. A defensive core of Theodore, Hutton, Tyramkin, and Subban, is too good, and too well balanced to pass up. Even if it meant Jared McCann, or Jared McCann plus. We NEED defence. that's a solid core in front of demko allowing us to focus on the front end. Which if we get a top 3 pick, will be looking bright.

On 2016-04-11 at 9:54 AM, hockeyking said:

You mean the guy who only managed 7 points in the AHL. There is no way in hell Cassels will ever be a top 6 forward and he isn't even close to Granlund's offensive skills.

Did someone say Cassels will be a top 6 forward in the NHL? Must have meant in the AHL.

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Toews said:

Firstly the Ducks don't consider this trade. If they plan on trading anyone it will be Vatanen as he is due for a raise. When they do move a defenseman it will be for a more proven player than McCann. 

The Canucks do this trade in a heartbeat. Theodore is the more valuable asset and the Canucks desperately need more top D prospects.

What if it's LindHolm 

20 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

What if it's LindHolm 

It won't be.

From the grumbling I've heard, the most likely one to leave is Vatanen because they have carbon copy replacement waiting in the form of Brandon Montour.

By all accounts, Lindholm and Rickard Rakell are their top priorities this summer. The only way Lindholm isn't resigned is if he is asking for outrageous money like 7x7 which Trouba and his sleazy agent were reportedly asking.

I too think Jared is an excellent prospect and has a fairly high ceiling, but if we draft one of Matthews or Dubois, then he becomes an expendable asset that should be used to fill our organizational holes.

Bo has already proved that he is our future 2C. I don't think Jared's going to be very satisfied being stuck as a 3C...

I agree that if we draft Matthews or sign Stamkos, McCann no longer fits (Matthews - Sutter - Horvat being the C trio of the future). But no need to move him right away. Deploy him favorably for a year (lots of PP time and Sedin time) and trade him after a 50 point sophomore year.

Archived