The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Discussion] Bobby Ryan

I have always loved Ryan as a player but how much is he worth to a team that is almost there or wants to compete. He isn't a first line star but he is a first line complimentary player. He can do what Vrbata could do and even more. I know the Canucks aren't really at a place where they don't need him at the moment but a team like Montreal or Tampa if Stamkos leaves could use him? He isn't really lighting it up in Ottawa either. 

As much as I like Bobby Ryan and his value would be lower than what Ottawa traded 3 or so years ago to get him I don't think we should trade for him. I'd rather target somebody like Kyle Okposo. Okposo has outproduced Ryan for the past 3 years, is younger and would cost you no assets just money. For trade values sake I'd expect Ottawa to ask for McCann and a 2nd at the very least.

I have always liked Bobby Ryan's game. He's consistent, a threat, and I think with a quality center he'd be a guaranteed 30goal scorer, likely 70pts too.

With any trade or acquisition of a top 6 forward this summer, we need to see how the draft lottery pans out. If we're looking at a top 3 selection, Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi will all walk straight into a top 6 spot in 16/17, negating the need for a Ryan-type player. If, however, we're selecting 4th or lower, we're looking at picking a Chychrun/Juolevi/Bean, which means there's options to add a body in the top 6.

Looking at our team for next season:

Daniel-Henrik-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-???

Etem-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

I can see Vey, McCann, Higgins, Vrbata, Virtanen, Kenins and Zalewski all being elsewhere. We'll carry 8 D-men again, with Pedan playing forward in an emergency, meaning it's 13 forwards. Assuming Rodin secures a spot from camp, we're looking at a 2RW being needed.

Options this summer for acquiring a 2RW:

Bobby Ryan - trade - would need to include McCann or Virtanen most likely

Kyle Okposo - UFA - would need to pay $6m+ for him

Shane Doan - UFA - unlikely he leaves the Yotes, with his family considerations. Plus he turned us down once before. $4m minimum needed too

Loui Eriksson - UFA - would need long-term commitment (taking him past the Sedins), plus around $6m

PA Parenteau - UFA - potential low-cost option, hit 20 goals on a terrible Leafs team

Dale Weise - UFA - could play 3RW, allowing Rodin to move up

Drake Caggiula - UFA - could give him a season at 2RW before Boeser joins the team, allowing him to move back to C/LW. Not sure this would be a good move

I'd move heaven and earth for one of Okposo / Eriksson (preferably Okposo), and if not, acquire PAP or Weise.

10 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

I have always liked Bobby Ryan's game. He's consistent, a threat, and I think with a quality center he'd be a guaranteed 30goal scorer, likely 70pts too.

With any trade or acquisition of a top 6 forward this summer, we need to see how the draft lottery pans out. If we're looking at a top 3 selection, Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi will all walk straight into a top 6 spot in 16/17, negating the need for a Ryan-type player. If, however, we're selecting 4th or lower, we're looking at picking a Chychrun/Juolevi/Bean, which means there's options to add a body in the top 6.

Daniel-Henrik-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-???

Etem-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

I can see Vey, McCann, Higgins, Vrbata, Virtanen, Kenins and Zalewski all being elsewhere. We'll carry 8 D-men again, with Pedan playing forward in an emergency, meaning it's 13 forwards. Assuming Rodin secures a spot from camp, we're looking at a 2RW being needed.

Shane Doan - UFA - unlikely he leaves the Yotes, with his family considerations. Plus he turned us down once before. $4m minimum needed too

Loui Eriksson - UFA - would need long-term commitment (taking him past the Sedins), plus around $6m

PA Parenteau - UFA - potential low-cost option, hit 20 goals on a terrible Leafs team

Drake Caggiula - UFA - could give him a season at 2RW before Boeser joins the team, allowing him to move back to C/LW. Not sure this would be a good move

I'd move heaven and earth for one of Okposo / Eriksson (preferably Okposo), and if not, acquire PAP or Weise.

No thanks to every single option you listed. Okposo brings the same concern to me as what happened with Moulson.

Eriksson I would only want for short term if at all.

Caggiula would be one that I would go for but not a chance of him being a top 6.

I don't think Weise would want to come back here, plus we have better players than him that could fill that void.

PA, no thanks.

Shane Doan, won't come here.

Bobby Ryan I like him but no way would I trade a young gun for him, I also think he has attitude issues.

22 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

No thanks to every single option you listed. Okposo brings the same concern to me as what happened with Moulson.

Caggiula would be one that I would go for but not a chance of him being a top 6.

I don't think Weise would want to come back here, plus we have better players than him that could fill that void.

PA, no thanks.

Bobby Ryan I like him but no way would I trade a young gun for him, I also think he has attitude issues.

Who plays 2RW next season then? Rodin? Virtanen? Dorsett?

26 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Obviously everyone hopes Virtanen is up to the task, but if he can't do it we still have Vey, Rodin and we might draft Puljujarvi. I fear that Eriksson would be the same as Vrbata.

Eriksson is a far superior player to Vrbata. More consistent, higher production, and better defensive play. Plus he's 4 years younger. 

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Obviously everyone hopes Virtanen is up to the task, but if he can't do it we still have Vey, Rodin and we might draft Puljujarvi. I fear that Eriksson would be the same as Vrbata.

Say we pick 4th or lower, as I said. The fact you just suggested LINDEN VEY as a top 6 RW next season is, quite frankly, the most hilarious thing I've seen on CDC since Desi's meltdown over BoSang signing in Buffalo.

You'd rather play Vey at 2RW than Okposo, Doan or Parenteau? Seriously?

Just now, Captain Woodget said:

Say we pick 4th or lower, as I said. The fact you just suggested LINDEN VEY as a top 6 RW next season is, quite frankly, the most hilarious thing I've seen on CDC since Desi's meltdown over BoSang signing in Buffalo.

Yes.

15 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

Not to mention Sutter playing on the Sedin's wing last year, meaning everyone can move down a rung and we would have Sutter, Hansen, Virtanen and Etem. Plus McCann who you think will be moved, and Vey.

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Not to mention Sutter playing on the Sedin's wing last year, meaning everyone can move down a rung and we would have Sutter, Hansen, Virtanen and Etem. Plus McCann who you think will be moved, and Vey.

When did I say McCann would be moved?

20 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Daniel-Henrik-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-???

Etem-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

PAP would need to be handled with care, in an almost clinical fashion.

9 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

PA, no thanks.

Agreed here. I'm sorta hoping Eriksson will take a discount to play with his worlds buddies Sedins lol... 6m x 4 years probably would be the maximum... 3 years preferred

Cagguila would probably be well suited alongside Horvat on the 3rd line while Suter's line takes the heavier line match-ups.

Cagguila - Horvat - Rodin wouldn't mind seeing how that line would do. 

Think we are better suited to take cautious steps forwards rather than making big leaps. Seems to be what Linden is saying as well.

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

PAP would need to be handled with care, in an almost clinical fashion.

Apparently Linden Vey would be a better option so we don't need to worry :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Then you best hit the pee pee pot champ...

Cause next season Vey's going  to have you in stitches 

#VeyArmy4life

Archived