The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extensions] Kadri & Rielly sign 6 year deals with TML

Good signings. I wouldn't look to Kadri as my future top forward but if he's a supporting guy who brings offence, he's fine at that price. Rielly is excellent at that price and for that term (didn't cost them much to buy some UFA years) and any team in the league would take him I'm sure.

22 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Sbisa contract sucks even more.

These contracts bear no relation to the Sbisa deal, which is up in two seasons, and has not/will not restrict us in any way, shape, or form.

The only correlation to the Canucks roster these contracts have is as precedent.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What do you think Bo signs for next year? 5x4mill? or a bridge of 2x2milaav?

Given he had a rough go at the start/middle of the season. Even at $5 million and his work ethic and he busts his hump every shift.

He'd be worth every nickel. 

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'd agree with that - a bridge can come back to bite us in the rear

It all depends on how many UFA years we can buy. By the end of next year he will have played 3 years so a 4 year deal just takes him the end of RFA, probably the worst scenario, so that's the low point of dollar amount. A 3 year deal would leave us with one RFA year and that's a possibility, I suppose. 

I think we try to buy some of his UFA years, at least 2, and that would leave us at a 6, 7, or 8 year deal. The amount will depend heavily on what he does next year and how many UFA years we want to buy. 

Bridge deals always make the most sense for teams under cap crunches over the short run...but we won't need to have that problem if we game plan it properly. I expect that the longer term deal is the most likely. 

Interesting read here about how Taxes in Ontario will take 54% of their paycheck

Ontario has the highest tax rates of any NHL states or provinces

BC is middle of the pack

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/04/12/taxing-issue-for-nhl-players-when-it-comes-to-contract-offers?token=4662f1ae1e731fcef2762eccccebbed

A TAXING MATTER

Top combined statutory marginal income-tax rate* in Canadian provinces and U.S. states that have NHL teams:

Province/State/Team Tax rate
Ontario (Maple Leafs, Senators) 53.53%
Quebec (Canadiens) 53.31%
California (Ducks, Kings, Sharks) 52.9%
Manitoba (Jets) 50.4%
Minnesota (Wild) 49.45%
New Jersey (Devils) 48.57%
Washington, D.C. (Capitals) 48.55%
New York (Sabres, Islanders, Rangers) 48.42%
Alberta (Flames, Oilers) 48%
British Columbia (Canucks) 47.7%
Missouri (Blues) 45.6%
Tennessee (Predators) 45.6%
North Carolina (Hurricanes) 45.35%
Massachusetts (Bruins) 44.7%
Ohio (Blue Jackets) 44.6%
Colorado (Avalanche) 44.23
Arizona (Coyotes) 44.14%
Michigan (Red Wings) 43.85%
Illinois (Blackhawks) 43.35%
Pennsylvania (Flyers, Penguins) 42.67%
Florida (Panthers, Lightning) 39.6%
Texas (Stars) 39.6%

* Does not account for the fact that Canadian top tax rates tend to apply at lower levels of income than in the United States. For example, California’s top personal income-tax rate applies to income that exceeds $1 million, while Ontario’s highest income threshold is $220,000.

Source: Fraser Institute

18 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Interesting read here about how Taxes in Ontario will take 54% of their paycheck

BC is middle of the pack

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/04/12/taxing-issue-for-nhl-players-when-it-comes-to-contract-offers?token=4662f1ae1e731fcef2762eccccebbed

A TAXING MATTER

Top combined statutory marginal income-tax rate* in Canadian provinces and U.S. states that have NHL teams:

Province/State/Team Tax rate
Ontario (Maple Leafs, Senators) 53.53%
Quebec (Canadiens) 53.31%
California (Ducks, Kings, Sharks) 52.9%
Manitoba (Jets) 50.4%
Minnesota (Wild) 49.45%
New Jersey (Devils) 48.57%
Washington, D.C. (Capitals) 48.55%
New York (Sabres, Islanders, Rangers) 48.42%
Alberta (Flames, Oilers) 48%
British Columbia (Canucks) 47.7%
Missouri (Blues) 45.6%
Tennessee (Predators) 45.6%
North Carolina (Hurricanes) 45.35%
Massachusetts (Bruins) 44.7%
Ohio (Blue Jackets) 44.6%
Colorado (Avalanche) 44.23
Arizona (Coyotes) 44.14%
Michigan (Red Wings) 43.85%
Illinois (Blackhawks) 43.35%
Pennsylvania (Flyers, Penguins) 42.67%
Florida (Panthers, Lightning) 39.6%
Texas (Stars) 39.6%

* Does not account for the fact that Canadian top tax rates tend to apply at lower levels of income than in the United States. For example, California’s top personal income-tax rate applies to income that exceeds $1 million, while Ontario’s highest income threshold is $220,000.

Source: Fraser Institute

Take any judgements by the the Fraser Institute with a grain of salt. They probably would have you believe that tailing ponds near water supplies provide vital nutrients to the drinking water. 

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

It's too early to talk about extending Bo. He needs to have a better season than this year if I am going to pay him 4.5M or 5M. I do not want a bridge at all with him though. 

That's really a foot in either camp though isn't it? He has one year remaining so now is the exact time to be discussing extending Bo, or at least considering it. 

It's either a bridge deal or a LT deal... in between would be the worst scenario. We want him to have a better year but 40 points from a 20 year old centre is pretty good.

You either take a chance now and hope to get the bargain, or you wait for a 'show me' year and pay more if he does. Depending on length of deal, which I anticipate would need to be significant, then the $4.5-5.5 number you put him at is about right. He's essentially the epitome of a low risk player so, personally, I'd have little reservation about a very LT deal.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Take any judgements by the the Fraser Institute with a grain of salt. They probably would have you believe that tailing ponds near water supplies provide vital nutrients to the drinking water. 

Perhaps, but this is pretty easy to confirm/refute.  No surprise that California has the highest taxes in the US, and Texas has the lowest.

27 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

BC is middle of the pack

Thanks for posting.  Guess that's just one more reason why FAs shouldn't go to the Leafs! ;)  A 5M/yr contract takes 250-300K hit between playing in TO than Van... not quite chump change, but doesn't break the bank either.  The same case for CA team versus Dallas is 700K a much bigger bite.

Great deal for Rielly, even if he never becomes a #1 D-men in the league, he's still already a top pairing D who can man the point on a PP.

Kadri's deal is not bad, not amazing. Still not sold on him ever becoming the player people thought he might turn into, decent second line center who can pot some points and doesn't really bring any intangibles to the mix, besides douchery hehe.

Quick question, people keep saying that Trouba's demands are batty, what is he asking for exactly?

13 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

Great deal for Rielly, even if he never becomes a #1 D-men in the league, he's still already a top pairing D who can man the point on a PP.

Kadri's deal is not bad, not amazing. Still not sold on him ever becoming the player people thought he might turn into, decent second line center who can pot some points and doesn't really bring any intangibles to the mix, besides douchery hehe.

Quick question, people keep saying that Trouba's demands are batty, what is he asking for exactly?

I think 7 mill plus

11 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I think 7 mill plus

OMG, that's a joke right? like...are you joking? or maybe Trouba is? HOW...I don't...words not...

Even if that's a bargaining tactic on his part to just start high, that's *#?$!@ asinine! Hate to give the Leafs any credit, but they done good with that Rielly signing, can be used as a new threshold for young RFA defensemen coming off their ELC's.

Archived