The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Troy Stecher

Watched that championship game again.  Impressive.  Really liked that interview with Caggiula as well - would be a hell of a coup if Benning managed to sign him and Stecher.

Boeser though - a lot of teams are going to regret missing out on him.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Watched that championship game again.  Impressive.  Really liked that interview with Caggiula as well - would be a hell of a coup if Benning managed to sign him and Stecher.

Boeser though - a lot of teams are going to regret missing out on him.

I think he goes to either Chicago or Vancouver.

Chicago will be tough to compete with, but there's more opportunity for him here.

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think he goes to either Chicago or Vancouver.

Chicago will be tough to compete with, but there's more opportunity for him here.

Hopefully it's Chicago's turn to miss out on a FA and he'd like to play/transition to pro with his ND team-mates....

7 hours ago, keyboard-Warrior said:

I golfed with Joe Colborne of the Flames today and he said that the flames love playing Edmonton because their defence is extremely weak with the one exception being Darnell Nurse. The rest of their D is a walk through he said.

Klefbom was also injured / off sick for more than 50 games this year.

I suggested they were close, not there yet.

Who would not want Klefbom or Nurse on their D?

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hopefully it's Chicago's turn to miss out on a FA and he'd like to play/transition to pro with his ND team-mates....

If he signs with Chicago he could play with an ND team-mate....Nick Schmaltz.  

Chicago will have some LW opportunities next season, Ladd will be gone and somebody will get the chance to play with Toews.  That's an attractive opportunity for anyone.  Some teams make argue that given the talent Chicago has there's no way a young guy like Caggiula will get a fair shot.  But look at Panarin, his game was made better by playing with guys like Anisimov and Kane.  Chicago and Vancouver both have positive track records of playing free agents (college or European) who deserve it.  I still think DC lands on one of those two teams.

per TSN earlier today:

Caggiula is expected to visit the Oilers sometime next week, where a tour of Edmonton’s new arena will likely be part of the game plan, followed by stops in Vancouver and Ottawa. It is believed he will make a visit to all of the teams on his list before making a decision.

According to sources, Caggiula has whittled down his list to include (in no particular order) Philadelphia, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Chicago and Buffalo.

http://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-caggiula-begins-making-nhl-rounds-1.474440

Quite the rounds this kid's making.

Have to respect him making a trip to each city to meet everyone in person and check out the team facilities, and the cities themselves, with his own eyes.

Whatever decision he makes, it will be a very informed decision--which speaks well to this young man's overall intelligence and character.

Hopefully when he hits town, the Canucks show him a warm welcome and make him feel right at home. And with some luck, the weather will cooperate to show Vancouver in all its glory (too bad he's not here this week).

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

per TSN earlier today:

http://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-caggiula-begins-making-nhl-rounds-1.474440

Quite the rounds this kid's making.

Have to respect him making a trip to each city to meet everyone in person and check out the team facilities, and the cities themselves, with his own eyes.

Whatever decision he makes, it will be a very informed decision--which speaks well to this young man's overall intelligence and character.

Hopefully when he hits town, the Canucks show him a warm welcome and make him feel right at home. And with some luck, the weather will cooperate to show Vancouver in all its glory (too bad he's not here this week).

Hopefully he comes here this week with our current weather ::D

On 16/04/2016 at 9:00 AM, Aircool said:

Thank you for an intelligent response to my viewpoint. I'm not just happy because I agree with you, but I must say that I do. I think it's possible and actually LIKELY we don't have a replacement for either Sedin YET. Boeser may be that guy, but I wouldn't gamble the future of the Canucks on him just yet. I like a lot of our other prospects and young NHL players, I just realize/think that they most likely are not franchise players. I still like them. I just refute the notion that we should call it quits on our rebuild after this year because apparently we have everything we need and some combination of 2-3 UFAs is enough to make us a cup contender at any point. I think we need to draft more at higher positions, acquire more assets that we KNOW will be Franchise players, and guarantee a bright future for the Canucks, also we need more quality D, both prospects and at the NHL level. 

You appear to believe the Vancouver Canucks are rebuilding. Neither Benning nor Linden have said as such, and in fact say the exact opposite, rendering your belief that 'we shouldn't call it quits on our rebuild' moot. This team is NOT rebuilding, and should stop being treated by its so-called fans as such.

I think you are a little optimistic on Bo. I agree he has been thrown to the wolves and still performed well. I personally think he is a 25-30 goal scorer, who will break 60 point a couple times. Which is a nice 2nd line center especially given his defensive skills, and leadership skills I think he will display in the future. I agree that McCann has great skills and speed. Not many hockey people thought McCann had 1st line upside at his draft, I don't personally believe he does either, and even if he does put on the necessary weight he is short, his upside should be a 2nd line center. To be clear now for some people, if I'm writing it, it is my opinion. This is just my opinion. I believe either this draft or next, McCann will have been traded. I will be HAPPY to be wrong about him entirely.

Some CDC posters compare Bo Horvat to Jonathan Toews. To me, that is an egregious statement to make and is not fair on Horvat or the team. Toews is a future HOF candidate, a multiple cup-winner, a captain of a team full of potential captains. He is the ideal player to build a franchise around and, while I love the idea of building a franchise around Horvat, he's not in Toews' league. And he likely never will.

That being said, Horvat is an astonishing talent and it is only right that Canucks fans look ahead with excitement at what a future with him may hold. Yes, he may never score 40 goals. Yes, he may top out at 60pts. But how many teams have 70+ point scorers? This season there were only 17 - from 30 teams - and those 17 70pt player came from 11 teams. Horvat ending up as a 60pt first-line player would be an excellent result for the Canucks.

McCann needs seasoning in Utica, a leadership role there, ice time of 20+mins, and bulking up. He'll be an excellent 2LC.

Honestly, I think the Sedins are fine on the Powerplay. I just rose the point because CaptainWoodget was making what I thought to be a dangerous assumption that the Sedins who have as a pair averaged 60 points once in the last 3 years, would somehow get up to 70 points with a magically improved powerplay. When possibly they could be holding it back, or not, it's a complex equation.

If the Canucks had a productive winger for the Sedins, point men who could shoot (ie not Edler and Hamhuis), then there is no doubt at all, opinion or not, that the Canucks would not have the 27th-ranked PowerPlay. Even being 15th would see the Sedins at 70pts. I don't see the Sedins as being part of the problem, as this has been an issue since 2012. They need a winger in front of the net, and point men who can blast a shot through, a la Sami Salo / Christian Ehrhoff.

I'm not opposed to signing UFAs, you raise some valid points. I just think if we sign UFAs with the intent of going for a cup this upcoming season, that is a bad UFA signing for this Canucks team. No doubt our team could improve with a UFA signing, but the question is will that provide us with long term cap flexibility to sign upcoming RFAs and future drafted players as they come along, and will that player contribute when we are ready to take our shots at the cup. I think we will get a very good window to win a cup, because I think Benning is drafting really well, we just need to continue drafting really well and take a couple more chances at ELITE prospects. I want a player on our team that is playing like a 1st or 2nd liner in the NHL at 18/19. I want that kind of talent if we can get it in the next 2-3 years. (it might happen this year). I don't want to pass up on that kind of talent that could replace a Sedin because people want to rush a rebuild with 28+ year old UFAs. I will repeat this from a previous post, the only UFA I would consider is Stamkos, and I'm not 100% sold on him due to health concerns and declining production since his broken leg.

We can only realistically afford one UFA - a top 6 winger. Regardless of who that may be, we won't be winning the Cup next season. A return to the playoffs would be an excellent start. I don't think adding Crosby + Ovechkin right now would make us contenders - but the 1st/2nd line players you want for 2018-19, they're already in the system. Boeser, McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Tryamkin, Larsen, Tanev, Baertschi, our pick this summer - we have some great talent here and we are in a good position to compete from 2017 (maybe 2018) onwards.

Finally, I forgot about this thread until earlier today - I've caught up and have put my responses to your latest post above. I love that you're articulate and give as good as you get - I just can't fathom why you're so pessimistic towards the current team, its prospects and its management. My only concern is the coaching staff, which is the one thing I've not seen you talk about. I'd actually be interested to hear what you think about Willie, Doug, Rollie and co - what would you look to change for the new season?

6 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

You appear to believe the Vancouver Canucks are rebuilding. Neither Benning nor Linden have said as such, and in fact say the exact opposite, rendering your belief that 'we shouldn't call it quits on our rebuild' moot. This team is NOT rebuilding, and should stop being treated by its so-called fans as such.

Some CDC posters compare Bo Horvat to Jonathan Toews. To me, that is an egregious statement to make and is not fair on Horvat or the team. Toews is a future HOF candidate, a multiple cup-winner, a captain of a team full of potential captains. He is the ideal player to build a franchise around and, while I love the idea of building a franchise around Horvat, he's not in Toews' league. And he likely never will.

That being said, Horvat is an astonishing talent and it is only right that Canucks fans look ahead with excitement at what a future with him may hold. Yes, he may never score 40 goals. Yes, he may top out at 60pts. But how many teams have 70+ point scorers? This season there were only 17 - from 30 teams - and those 17 70pt player came from 11 teams. Horvat ending up as a 60pt first-line player would be an excellent result for the Canucks.

McCann needs seasoning in Utica, a leadership role there, ice time of 20+mins, and bulking up. He'll be an excellent 2LC.

If the Canucks had a productive winger for the Sedins, point men who could shoot (ie not Edler and Hamhuis), then there is no doubt at all, opinion or not, that the Canucks would not have the 27th-ranked PowerPlay. Even being 15th would see the Sedins at 70pts. I don't see the Sedins as being part of the problem, as this has been an issue since 2012. They need a winger in front of the net, and point men who can blast a shot through, a la Sami Salo / Christian Ehrhoff.

We can only realistically afford one UFA - a top 6 winger. Regardless of who that may be, we won't be winning the Cup next season. A return to the playoffs would be an excellent start. I don't think adding Crosby + Ovechkin right now would make us contenders - but the 1st/2nd line players you want for 2018-19, they're already in the system. Boeser, McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Tryamkin, Larsen, Tanev, Baertschi, our pick this summer - we have some great talent here and we are in a good position to compete from 2017 (maybe 2018) onwards.

Finally, I forgot about this thread until earlier today - I've caught up and have put my responses to your latest post above. I love that you're articulate and give as good as you get - I just can't fathom why you're so pessimistic towards the current team, its prospects and its management. My only concern is the coaching staff, which is the one thing I've not seen you talk about. I'd actually be interested to hear what you think about Willie, Doug, Rollie and co - what would you look to change for the new season?

I think the biggest reason that Linden and Benning don't call this a rebuild is because Aquilini wants playoff revenue. I mean if you finish 25th and 28th in the league within a 3 years span, whether you want to or not, you need some sort of rebuild. The reality is that we already have a lot of really nice young talent, so it's possible to expedite this rebuild. I just think that you can't forego another 2-3 years of stockpiling assets if you want a true cup contender in the future. As I've said before it took Chicago 10 years to rebuild and they drafted basically as well as Benning has. On the other hand we have more NHL assets than they did when they began. Basically though, I choose to read between the lines and come to the conclusion that this is a rebuild. Whether I'm right or wrong the result will be pretty much the same though, we're going to be getting more young assets in coming seasons.

I agree about Horvat, I think his skill set is similar to Toews, but it's pretty silly to label someone Toews... Just see what happens. To me though, Horvat needs to be the 2nd line center who can match up and challenge another teams 1st line. That is a role that I can envision him being Elite in the league in the future. For that reason I think McCann is redundant because if he is going to top out as a 2nd line center, I'd rather have Horvat in that role. So I think either at this draft, or maybe next after bulking up, McCann may be traded (depending on who we get to draft as well), because I think McCann has tangible trade value and he could be part of a package for a young defenceman with Top-2 potential.

Yeah I agree, the Sedins really do need a big shot on the powerplay and a winger that can play in front of the net and has the ability to set up for a slapshot... Would need to be right-handed too. I'm just not sure if that is in the best interest of our team's future. Because I think you are right, we can only really afford 1 UFA. Not if we want to sign our upcoming RFAs that matter within the next 1-3 years. If the Sedins take a paycut on their next contract then this might be a moot point.

You've listed a lot of players with potential to be first line players. You haven't listed people who WILL be first line players. That is the distinction I make. I can't in good conscience suggest that (if this is a rebuild) we move out of rebuilding stages without actually knowing if when the Sedins retire or slot down the lineup that we have a first line.  Boeser looks the most likely, but I mean I'm going to use him as the experiment to see how well NCAA success translates to the NHL whenever he makes the jump. I don't know how good that league is. Virtanen has a lot of development to go, until I think he is a legit Top-6 power forward. I like him a lot, I just can't label him a first line player presently. I think Sven has shown he can play and that he was worth the 2nd rounder and more, I also wouldn't label him a first line producer though. 

I don't deny that one of Hutton or Tryamkin could be a future, legitimate, Top-2 defenseman. Obviously, there is still development to go there, but I think they are future members of our D core and it's up to them to dictate what role they will fill. I don't/won't consider it to count if we have to pigeonhole someone into being our 1D, they either have the talent or they don't in my view.  I don't think Tanev is a Top-2 D, point production being the knock against him, but I'd have him on our team every day of the week. Lastly, you are very optimistic on Larsen. Larsen may pan out well, but let's watch him play a game first.

Essentially, I like our talent a lot, but I'm trying not to overestimate their ceilings. If they show to me that they are of a higher ceiling than I think, then I'll raise my estimation accordingly as it happens. I don't think it would be wise for JB, for example, to plan the future of our franchise overestimating his talent. So in that sense I don't think it's wise for me to base my opinions of our future on that same overestimation. 

With regards to management, I'm extremely happy with JBs drafting, he probably needs and assistant to help with Trade negotiations, but no complaints there at all. I think the bad trades he has made have been in an effort to provide us with a deeper NHL roster, because he has been mandated to make the playoffs. So I definitely blame ownership more so for those tbh. As for Willie and his staff... I wouldn't mind if they were fired, but I also wouldn't mind if they ran out their contracts. As I've said, I basically consider this a rebuild, I don't care if our coaches bring us wins or not, as long as the young players are developing. I think having the Sedins around will mitigate the "Edmonton Effect" of losing too much.

In some ways I really think Willie is an assistant coach. His match ups, line combinations, poor usage of timeouts, and seemingly his lack of mastery over special teams concern me. I'm not sure he is really a great decisionmaker behind the bench, but I think he can coach players, especially young players. Just sounds like an assistant to me. If he is our head coach past the end of his contract, then I'd definitely have a problem with that.

Archived