The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

9 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Crash the crease is good and all but if you can't create offence from your Dmen you won't win. Stretcher is all about that.

Its been 5 years and people are still clamouring for an Ehrhoff type. How many times did he clear the crease?

Stecher is a crease crasher anyways lol

50 minutes ago, MadOgre said:

Kids can still grow an inch until they are 24/25 years old.

I bet he turns out close to, if not 6'0" and 202 lbs

202 would be great, much better than 200. I remember Burke used to use 208 pounds all the time to describe players. He said this I believe to use a specific weight, making us think he was right on the situation. Some of the players he said were 208 included Craig Coxe, Zarley Zalapski,Greg Adams,Doug Lidster, and Dave Saunders. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

202 would be great, much better than 200. I remember Burke used to use 208 pounds all the time to describe players. He said this I believe to use a specific weight, making us think he was right on the situation. Some of the players he said were 208 included Craig Coxe, Zarley Zalapski,Greg Adams,Doug Lidster, and Dave Saunders. 

lol

39 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

As I posted...Keith is listed at 6' and 192lbs.  By your logic, Chicago should never have given him a shot at the NHL.

How about Eric Karlsson?  Listed at 5'11" - 6'0", and 190lbs.  Same size as Stecher.  He's obviously not an NHL caliber player by your standards either.

I never mentioned Biega and for you to is just an weak attempt at deflecting the discussion away form the fact that your "standard" does not hold water in the real world.

Size is always good but Stecher has other attributes that are highly valued in the NHL game and is not s "small" that he stands no chance of making the NHL.

What? I said under six feet and you used someone clearly 6 feet or taller as your example. What a lazy post on your behalf! Name one Canuck under 6 feet (that means 5'11 or shorter) who has been deemed a very good defenceman (please don't say Weber, Bubla, or Kearns, or McCarthy). Ballard was 5'11, yes but played tough. Name one!

1 minute ago, MadOgre said:

Someone on 1040 said that JB was aggressively going after Cagguila as well. :) That would be awesome to get all 3!

Would sorta make up for wasting a pick on Vey. Cagguila is small though. But a free prospect is welcome anytime. 

1 minute ago, Jiggs50 said:

Would sorta make up for wasting a pick on Vey. Cagguila is small though. But a free prospect is welcome anytime. 

So was Ronning :)

It definitely cant hurt in addition to what ever we get in the Draft

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jiggs50 said:

Cagguila is small but plays nothing like Vey. He plays an aggressive game not unlike Gallagher or Marchand.

I was actually pretty surprised when I watched him play for the first time. He finishes all his checks and goes to the net hard. I would say his style of play will translate much better to the NHL.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cagguila is small but plays nothing like Vey. He plays an aggressive game not unlike Gallagher or Marchand.

I was actually pretty surprised when I watched him play for the first time. He finishes all his checks and goes to the net hard. I would say his style of play will translate much better to the NHL.

Add that to the already good chemistry with Boeser!

10 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

What? I said under six feet and you used someone clearly 6 feet or taller as your example. What a lazy post on your behalf! Name one Canuck under 6 feet (that means 5'11 or shorter) who has been deemed a very good defenceman (please don't say Weber, Bubla, or Kearns, or McCarthy). Ballard was 5'11, yes but played tough. Name one!

Lazy from you...that's priceless.  You throw out Biega who I never mentioned and ignore Karlsson who is under 6'.  You also conveniently ignore Stecher's weight which would indicate he is quite stocky and strong.   You have not provided any evidence to back-up your position that a sub 6' defenceman with the size of Stecher and his talents is doomed to failure. 

Saying past D men under 6' for the Canucks didn't pan out so we should never consider one going forward is the epitome of lazy and a totally unfounded claim.   The fact is many top NHL defencemen are in the same size/weight range as Stecher.  HIs skill set could see him achieve success in the NHL as others of his size have.

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Lazy from you...that's priceless.  You throw out Biega who I never mentioned and ignore Karlsson who is under 6'.  You also conveniently ignore Stecher's weight which would indicate he is quite stocky and strong.   You have not provided any evidence to back-up your position that a sub 6' defenceman with the size of Stecher and his talents is doomed to failure. 

Saying past D men under 6' for the Canucks didn't pan out so we should never consider one going forward is the epitome of lazy and a totally unfounded claim.   The fact is many top NHL defencemen are in the same size/weight range as Stecher.  HIs skill set could see him achieve success in the NHL as others of his size have.

Plus, signing him might help attracting other college players. 

1 hour ago, cabinessence said:

Not a Canuck but Tyson Barrie is pretty much a stud and is the same size and weight as Stecher. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Again, your laziness prevails! Please re read my question. Did Karlsson play for the Canucks?  Also, please quote me where I said we should never consider one going forward. I would love to see that quote! I also did not trow out Biega. But if you believe he is a bonafide NHLer, good luck on building a winner.

"You have not provided any evidence to back-up your position that a sub 6' defenceman with the size of Stecher and his talents is doomed to failure." The evidence is that you cannot name one! Name one, just one!