The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

This guy is an animal with ice in his veins.

Really impressed with his ability to maintain intensity and be effective in playoff hockey. 

There were legit questions about his size and how his ability would translate to post season. I think Troy has answered those questions!  

Also, in the post game video he speaks well and is clear and intelligent with his points, could be a future broadcaster if he chose to.

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Stecher had the same ice time as Tanev tonight and played really well, with poise and confidence.  He will not win the Norris trophy. But he has been a winner at every level he has played.

I was shocked when I saw him playing the half wall on the PP. He moves the puck so well that we likely see that again. Has the skating speed to cover if the point man attacks down. Which coach thought that up? IMHO it was very effective.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

It's a risk but it comes with financial benefit. Paying 700k instead of 2.5 mill or more.

Depth dmen should not cost more than 1-2 mill like a Fanta/Benn.

That's the thing, though right. 

Is Stetcher considered Benn and Fanta territory? 

I feel like he's above them in terms of quality. I don't think Stetcher signs for 2.5 million here in Van. Sooooo it's very likely that he's gone after Tuesday night. 

On 8/31/2020 at 1:06 AM, N4ZZY said:

That's the thing, though right. 

Is Stetcher considered Benn and Fanta territory? 

I feel like he's above them in terms of quality. I don't think Stetcher signs for 2.5 million here in Van. Sooooo it's very likely that he's gone after Tuesday night. 

Well that comment didn't age too well.  He's still standing.  We're still standing.  Nobody's going anywhere until the job's done. 

I like Stetcher and I do see a place for him on our team going forward.  The only real problem with him is that he's too small.  I can live with that because he plays with a giant heart and not only does that make him effective, it's contagious.

Go Canucks Go!

5 hours ago, nux_win said:

Well that comment didn't age too well.  He's still standing.  We're still standing.  Nobody's going anywhere until the job's done. 

I like Stetcher and I do see a place for him on our team going forward.  The only real problem with him is that he's too small.  I can live with that because he plays with a giant heart and not only does that make him effective, it's contagious.

Go Canucks Go!

I am surprised they have him listed at 186 pounds. Hughes at 170.  

I think we all want to see someone tougher and bigger in Stetcher's spot for next season, but most likely he gets replaced by a ELC like Rafferty as we try to lock up some bigger pieces. Tanev's decision may have huge impact on what happens to Stetcher though. If he walks, Benning might want Stetcher back for another season in case we can't find a top 4D which would not be good.

Love what Tony Stretcher brings to the rink every night - but unless JB gets very creative and/or is lucky to be able to unload a few contracts, I don't see how we can't have at least another defenceman on the regular roster next season playing on an ELC other than Hughes (who we know is going to from ELC to massive, massive raise).  Meaning there's an odd man out somewhere on defence sadly....

41 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Love what Tony Stretcher brings to the rink every night - but unless JB gets very creative and/or is lucky to be able to unload a few contracts, I don't see how we can't have at least another defenceman on the regular roster next season playing on an ELC other than Hughes (who we know is going to from ELC to massive, massive raise).  Meaning there's an odd man out somewhere on defence sadly....

Odd man out is Benn. I think a team out there might bite on him as their 7th dman. Hell, do a trade of Benn + 7th round pick for a 7th round pick just to clear his $2M.

Then you bring in Juolevi as your new ELC.

stecher + juolevi could be a very very good bottom pairing imo.

couple options from there if you really wanna improve to dcorps... could package virtanen + a 1st or 2nd for an upgrade over tanev... maybe you could even package virtanen + 1st/2nd + myers for an upgrade over myers and just resign tanev. 

benning's gonna have some decisions to make either way. I'm expecting a big splash this offseason. the time to go for it is now.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am surprised they have him listed at 186 pounds. Hughes at 170.  

After watching the latest postgame vid (around 0:40-0:45), I’m almost a little surprised Stech is only 186lbs. Tony is just ripped! He might even be a candidate for the heir apparently to Higgins’s “Abs” title. He was always a low centre of gravity, “fire hydrant” type build, but he now looks even thicker through the torso and lower body. Of course, he’s still really short for a Dman, but damn that kid looks strong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Odd man out is Benn. I think a team out there might bite on him as their 7th dman. Hell, do a trade of Benn + 7th round pick for a 7th round pick just to clear his $2M.

couple options from there if you really wanna improve to dcorps... could package virtanen + a 1st or 2nd for an upgrade over tanev... maybe you could even package virtanen + 1st/2nd + myers for an upgrade over myers and just resign tanev. 

benning's gonna have some decisions to make either way. I'm expecting a big splash this offseason. the time to go for it is now.

I have a strong feeling that Juolevi is ready to be a 6/7 d-man, which is definitely bad news for Benn.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

After watching the latest postgame vid (around 0:40-0:45), I’m almost a little surprised Stech is only 186lbs. Tony is just ripped! He might even be a candidate for the heir apparently to Higgins’s “Abs” title. He was always a low centre of gravity, “fire hydrant” type build, but he now looks even thicker through the torso and lower body. Of course, he’s still really short for a Dman, but damn that kid looks strong.

Dang you're right. Still, for 5'10" (and I think I've heard him say he's actually 5'9"), 186 is a pretty solid build.

16 hours ago, nux_win said:

Go Canucks Go!

I'll take the loss :P if it means that the Canucks keep trucking along and winning. 

You think they win game 6? 

I like Stetcher as well. But he's probably not a top four defenseman on this team. Number 5-6 probably until the defense gets better. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'll take the loss :P if it means that the Canucks keep trucking along and winning. 

You think they win game 6? 

I like Stetcher as well. But he's probably not a top four defenseman on this team. Number 5-6 probably until the defense gets better. 

I don't like making predictions but I think that if they keep playing with intensity they have a good shot at winning game 6 (and game 7).  This version of the Canucks seems to have a "never say die" attitude and I like that.  Stetcher is one of the guys who adds fuel to that fire.  If we keep playing as a team and battle through the rough stuff and inconsistent penalties we still have a decent shot of going all the way.  10 more wins to go.  I'm focused on that.  What happens in the off season isn't relevant right now as far as I'm concerned.  We're still trying to win a cup right now.   Go Canucks Go!

On 9/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, Yung1 said:

He has been a beast out there. If we are moving him we need someone that can clear the front of the net. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

This kid has been a warrior out there. There is just no give. I really hope we do not lose him. These playoffs have been a huge eye opener in a good way,

Kid is all heart and no quit. May not be the most talented guy on the ice, but he is a true warrior. Great bottom pair dman that I would love to see brought back. Can easily play up the lineup when needed.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" Mark Twain

Would you think he would accept a $2M x 4yr deal?

No raise but gives him term at an acceptable dollar amount for a 6th D.

Probably too much for a 7th-8th D.

Allows Canucks to bring in our young RHD prospects to slot in as depth and rotate in/out until they prove they deserve to be in permanently.

• Upvote 1