The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

13 hours ago, J-P said:

To me it's simple. If you think Stech is 2nd pairing then his raise and cap hit won't be an issue.

If like me you think he's a 3rd pairing D then you don't pay close to 3 mil for that if you're building a contender.

Before this playoffs I was hoping for closer to $2m. Now I don't think we're getting him less than $2.5. Might require wiggling our way out of Benn to keep him but we should certainly try IMO.

Hughes, Tanev

Elder, Stecher

Juolevi, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty

Not bad IMO.

But yes, $3m+ is too rich for a 3rd/sometimes 2nd pair D small in stature. Big heart or otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Capable RD are in demand and not easy to replace.  If Pietrangelo were to make it to the open market, he'd get top dollar and probably be out of our budget.  Lower down the food chain, there may be a few options but they won't be cheap either.  Within our system Rafferty is probably a year away and Woo 2 or 3, assuming they pan out.  So if we can re-sign Stetcher at 4 years x 3 million or less, we should be all over it.  Same with re-upping Tanev at current salary for 2-3 more years.  They both want to be here and I just don't see us managing an upgrade on them.  Juolevi and Rathbone will be giving us a skill infusion at LD that will improve the D overall so I'd be okay with just holding the line on the right side.

• Upvote 1

I don't know quite what it is but something about Stecher reminds me of Burrows. 

Both these players just have a lot of grit and determination and are willing to punch above their weight. They both just have the type of character that successful teams need. 

I hope Stecher is still a Canuck next season. 

Edited by CallAfterLife

Imagine talks with Stecher don't really start to pick up until after they re-sign Tanny and/or Marky. Stech is all heart, but I gotta say I hope management doesn't go a dollar over 2mil. Even then I'd really like to see 1.5 but that's very much not likely. Although anything can happen with these mid-low tier players. They can get 3mil or 1mil and we'll never know how they got there. Would be nice to have him though. Good 3rd pair guy.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Imagine talks with Stecher don't really start to pick up until after they re-sign Tanny and/or Marky. Stech is all heart, but I gotta say I hope management doesn't go a dollar over 2mil. Even then I'd really like to see 1.5 but that's very much not likely. Although anything can happen with these mid-low tier players. They can get 3mil or 1mil and we'll never know how they got there. Would be nice to have him though. Good 3rd pair guy.

if we re-sign Tanev, then I think that lowers the chance of Stetcher returning. We need more size/toughness or someone that can effectively move the puck.

If you go to cap friendly and select for UFAs on RD, it's really pretty slim pickings.  After Buff and Pietrangelo at the top of the list, its Schultz, Barrie and Green, who have been pretty terrible recently.  Then there's Vatanen, who is an offensive upgrade on Stetcher, but only by a bit and probably a downgrade defensively.  After that, Hamonic and Gudas might be the most reliable defenders.  Then Shattenkirk as a pure offensive play.  From a value for money perspective, I like Stetcher at 2.5 mil over what any of these guys are currently making and are likely to get on the open market.  Hamonic and Gudas I would consider for 3.5 but chances are they will be offered more.  So I'm really not sure there's an upgrade to be had via UFA. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

If you go to cap friendly and select for UFAs on RD, it's really pretty slim pickings.  After Buff and Pietrangelo at the top of the list, its Schultz, Barrie and Green, who have been pretty terrible recently.  Then there's Vatanen, who is an offensive upgrade on Stetcher, but only by a bit and probably a downgrade defensively.  After that, Hamonic and Gudas might be the most reliable defenders.  Then Shattenkirk as a pure offensive play.  From a value for money perspective, I like Stetcher at 2.5 mil over what any of these guys are currently making and are likely to get on the open market.  Hamonic and Gudas I would consider for 3.5 but chances are they will be offered more.  So I'm really not sure there's an upgrade to be had via UFA. 

Yup, if we 'replace' Stecher, it's either internally (cheaper but likely a downgrade) or via trade IMO.

That said, I think we figure out how to keep both him and Tanev. Need to move some other contracts (including Benn's) first in that case though.

Unless of course we sign Pietrangelo :lol: Then they're both gone.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yup, if we 'replace' Stecher, it's either internally (cheaper but likely a downgrade) or via trade IMO.

That said, I think we figure out how to keep both him and Tanev. Need to move some other contracts (including Benn's) first in that case though.

Unless of course we sign Pietrangelo :lol: Then they're both gone.

100%

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Benning already said they aren't going into Free Agency. I imagine they may target some cheap depth players but not full time roster players there. So even if Stech is let go he won't be replaced from Free Agency. It'll be from within. Juolevi or Rafferty likely have first shot at that spot.

Drance on TSN 1040 (interview posted in the Markstrom thread - towards the end of the segment) thinks Stecher could get as high as 3.5M in arbitration.   Stecher filed the last time around.

The deadline to hand out qualifying offers is 6 Oct

Free agency opens up on 9 Oct

The deadline to file for arbitration is 10 Oct.  Teams can't walk away if the award is below a certain amount - was 4.4M last year.

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Benning already said they aren't going into Free Agency. I imagine they may target some cheap depth players but not full time roster players there. So even if Stech is let go he won't be replaced from Free Agency. It'll be from within. Juolevi or Rafferty likely have first shot at that spot.

True that Benning said that, and a good thing:  I was more responding to other posters who implied that a ufa solution might be out there.  But Benning has also said that Rafferty needs to improve his defensive game before he's ready, and Green doesn't like playing D on their off-side, which would rule out Juolevi, as an LD, replacing Stetcher on the right side.  So yeah, maybe Stetcher and/or Tanev aren't re-signed, but then we'd have to replace them by trade

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

True that Benning said that, and a good thing:  I was more responding to other posters who implied that a ufa solution might be out there.  But Benning has also said that Rafferty needs to improve his defensive game before he's ready, and Green doesn't like playing D on their off-side, which would rule out Juolevi, as an LD, replacing Stetcher on the right side.  So yeah, maybe Stetcher and/or Tanev aren't re-signed, but then we'd have to replace them by trade

In that scenario, we likely keep Benn (who has played right side here and elsewhere) who likely slides in to Stecher's RD slot and play Juolevi on the left.

So while he may not take Stecher's lineup spot, he could in theory take his roster spot.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

In that scenario, we likely keep Benn (who has played right side here and elsewhere) who likely slides in to Stecher's RD slot and play Juolevi on the left.

So while he may not take Stecher's lineup spot, he could in theory take his roster spot.

It definitely could happen.  Imho, it's one of the scenarios by which we could take a step back next season, but it could happen.  Hughes also says that he's comfortable playing on the right side, so that's another possibility.  In some ways it's a better option since Hughes relies less on playing the puck up the boards on his forehand than a lesser defenceman. 

• Cheers 1

Most folks took Benning’s comment about moving on from young players to mean Virtanen.

I really think he was also talking about Stecher.  I love the guy, but it is pretty clear the organization doesn’t value him very highly.  He keeps getting shuffled down the lineup every year until the coach inevitably leans on him more as the season progresses.

There isn’t room for Tanev and Stecher to come back while still leaving roster spots for young players.  We also have to make our D better than it was last season.

I am sensing that Stecher is an odd man out in the plans.

• Like 1

I do hope Stecher is happy to take 2-2.2M to re-sign with the team, he's a heart-and-soul kind of player and liked amongst the guys. For a 5th-6th defenceman he's pretty solid, nothing flashy, and surprise-surprise had the best +/- on the team in the playoffs.

You're not going to get much more from a bottom pairing defenceman, I think Fantenberg is very similar but a bit more physical but both are more sound defensively than Benn.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do hope Stecher is happy to take 2-2.2M to re-sign with the team, he's a heart-and-soul kind of player and liked amongst the guys. For a 5th-6th defenceman he's pretty solid, nothing flashy, and surprise-surprise had the best +/- on the team in the playoffs.

You're not going to get much more from a bottom pairing defenceman, I think Fantenberg is very similar but a bit more physical but both are more sound defensively than Benn.

I'm really upset what we got in benn. I thought he was a much better player. 

• Thanks 1