Gstank29

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Most folks took Benning’s comment about moving on from young players to mean Virtanen.

I really think he was also talking about Stecher.  I love the guy, but it is pretty clear the organization doesn’t value him very highly.  He keeps getting shuffled down the lineup every year until the coach inevitably leans on him more as the season progresses.

There isn’t room for Tanev and Stecher to come back while still leaving roster spots for young players.  We also have to make our D better than it was last season.

I am sensing that Stecher is an odd man out in the plans.

• Like 1

I do hope Stecher is happy to take 2-2.2M to re-sign with the team, he's a heart-and-soul kind of player and liked amongst the guys. For a 5th-6th defenceman he's pretty solid, nothing flashy, and surprise-surprise had the best +/- on the team in the playoffs.

You're not going to get much more from a bottom pairing defenceman, I think Fantenberg is very similar but a bit more physical but both are more sound defensively than Benn.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do hope Stecher is happy to take 2-2.2M to re-sign with the team, he's a heart-and-soul kind of player and liked amongst the guys. For a 5th-6th defenceman he's pretty solid, nothing flashy, and surprise-surprise had the best +/- on the team in the playoffs.

You're not going to get much more from a bottom pairing defenceman, I think Fantenberg is very similar but a bit more physical but both are more sound defensively than Benn.

I'm really upset what we got in benn. I thought he was a much better player. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

There isn’t room for Tanev and Stecher to come back while still leaving roster spots for young players.  

Depending on where else we manage to shed dollars (Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Roussel, Baer etc) and if we can manage to wiggle out from Benn's contract, and assuming we can ink Troy (and Tanev) to relative home town discounts (yes I know that's a lot of dominoes)... I could see both back.

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Stecher

Juolevi, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield etc as spares... Perhaps Fanta if he'll re-sign cheap-ish.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depending on where else we manage to shed dollars (Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Roussel, Baer etc) and if we can manage to wiggle out from Benn's contract, and assuming we can ink Troy (and Tanev) to relative home town discounts (yes I know that's a lot of dominoes)... I could see both back.

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Stecher

Juolevi, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield etc as spares... Perhaps Fanta if he'll re-sign cheap-ish.

I think if we retain 1/2 on Benn we can recover a decent pick, 3rd rounder or maybe a 4th and 6th out of TO e.g. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I think if we retain 1/2 on Benn we can recover a decent pick, 3rd rounder or maybe a 4th and 6th out of TO e.g. 

Retention doesn't make much sense in his case. Once you retain $1m and add back the $700k-$1m to replace him... You may as well keep him.

I think it more likely we take back a +/- $1m AHL level player (that we can bury) and just not expect much/any/potentially negative return (including possibly a late pick swap).

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm really upset what we got in benn. I thought he was a much better player. 

maybe the system just doesn't fit his style

my hope for next season

edler - myers

hughes - tanev

juolevi - shattenkirk

fantenberg

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I wonder what Benn's intentions are career wise.  It was said when he signed here that he wanted to be closer to home (Victoria) but then his wife had a baby last month and he went to Dallas to be with her.  I get that Dallas is her home town.  Anyhow, he's 33 with no restrictions on his contract and 1 more year remaining.  By rights, he could be moved anywhere but would he report?  I don't think his $2M  for a 6/7 would be a fit in Toronto who clearly have issues already.

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I wonder what Benn's intentions are career wise.  It was said when he signed here that he wanted to be closer to home (Victoria) but then his wife had a baby last month and he went to Dallas to be with her.  I get that Dallas is her home town.  Anyhow, he's 33 with no restrictions on his contract and 1 more year remaining.  By rights, he could be moved anywhere but would he report?  I don't think his $2M  for a 6/7 would be a fit in Toronto who clearly have issues already.

I think he'd be pretty valuable at 1 mil in salary to a number of teams. It doesn't help us much cap wise, we'd just be buying picks but thats OK we need a few. 

Stecher had 2 GWG and by far the best +/- this playoff, why the hell want some people get rid of him?

I know, we could use bigger D men, but before I would let him walk, I would give him a chance to show if he can play as a winger. Reallly.

2 hours ago, the harry said:

Stecher had 2 GWG and by far the best +/- this playoff, why the hell want some people get rid of him?

I know, we could use bigger D men, but before I would let him walk, I would give him a chance to show if he can play as a winger. Reallly.

The Blues tried to break him but he just got stronger with all that attention. 

Even if Stecher doesn't return next season, I don't rule him out of signing with the Canucks again whenever he hits UFA again. He could be like David Perron, who just keeps finding ways to return to his original team.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Keep that traffic flowing, Rick. 

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Makes a lot of sense tbh.

I still think they try to negotiate a lower cap hit with term to keep him around.  Ngl 2.35 for a 5/6 dman is a bit expensive for a QO, could easily based on his number make upwards of 3-3.5 mil. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they can decide to not qualify him and let him become UFA and then sign him at a rate other than his qualifying offer? 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they can decide to not qualify him and let him become UFA and then sign him at a rate other than his qualifying offer? 

You are correct. 

• Hydration 1