The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Stecher leaves the organization 110th in all-time scoring.  Compares a little bit, interestingly enough to Benning stat wise.

109.  Jiri Slegr D 154 12 65 77
110.  Troy Stecher D 286 11 64 75
114.  Gerald Diduck D 265 17 55 72
115.  Murray Hall C 109 27 44 71
116.  Jim Benning D 241 15 55 70
117.  Ben Hutton D 276 11 59 70
  • 3 months later...

Just to add to the pain:

Troy Stecher is quietly having a very good season in Detroit.

He’s leading their D in 5v5 minutes per game.

And he has pretty much the best across the board analytics of any Detroit defenceman this season. This whole playing some of the hardest minutes on that D corps.

Basically, he’s been their best overall Dman so far. Certainly the best two-way and/or defensive minded D on the Red Wings.

Troy’s numbers might not jump of the page, especially with counting stats of 11 GP, 1 assist, and a -4.

But his underlying numbers tell the real story (as well as the fans’ eye tests, and Troy is quickly becoming a fan favourite out in Detroit).

So far, this season (and rank among Red Wings D with >1GP):

16:56 5v5TOI/GP (1st)

-7.74 CA/60 Rel (1st)

+3.95 CF% Rel (3rd)

-6.68 FA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.21 FF% Rel (1st)

-5.36 SA/60 Rel (1st)

+4.76 SF% Rel (1st)

-0.93 GA/60 Rel (1st)

+12.12 GF% Rel (4th; but 1st for the Dmen appearing in all 11 GP)

+0.05 xGF/60 Rel (4th)

-0.67 xGA/60 Rel (1st)

+9.51 xGF% Rel (1st)

-7.47 SCA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.98 SCF% Rel (1st)

I’m running out of time and won’t be able to finish posting all these stats, but you can keep running down the list and Troy is either 1st or 2nd on that D in relative rates for suppression and events for%, pretty much across the board.

Damn good start for Stech.

Of course, he’s just the best Dman on a bad team, but still, even for raw numbers, instead of relative rates, he’s holding up quite well.

I mean, he’s even 50% on raw Fenwick rates and counts, and he’s actually above 50% for scoring chances and expected goals, which is pretty great for the high minute 5v5 D, playing defensive zone skewed minutes, and on a team like the Red Wings. And his suppression stats (defensive stats measures) are even better.

He prevents more goals that pretty much anyone else on that team.

And he used to do much the same for the Canucks.

Can’t help wondering what we’d look like this season had Stecher been brought back on a cheap deal (and he signed for only $1.7M with Detroit, so we could’ve afforded him—probably even could’ve had him back for cheaper, if the Canucks had kept him in the loop, and been more respectful in their dealings with Troy this past offseason). His on-ice impact has always been undervalued by Canucks fans, but he’s continued to be just rock solid after moving to Detroit, and now leads their D in pretty much all of the key defensive on-ice fancy stats and overall events rates. 

Having a steady Dman like Stech, especially defensively, would be real nice right now. And Troy is also the one kid who never quit, and would play his ass off to the final horn, even when the whole team was sucking. Would sure be nice to see some of that ol’ Stech in a few of the games we’ve played this year. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just to add to the pain:

And he has pretty much the best across the board analytics of any Detroit defenceman this season. This whole playing some of the hardest minutes on that D corps.

Basically, he’s been their best overall Dman so far. Certainly the best two-way and/or defensive minded D on the Red Wings.

Troy’s numbers might not jump of the page, especially with counting stats of 11 GP, 1 assist, and a -4.

But his underlying numbers tell the real story (as well as the fans’ eye tests, and Troy is quickly becoming a fan favourite out in Detroit).

-7.74 CA/60 Rel (1st)

+3.95 CF% Rel (3rd)

-6.68 FA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.21 FF% Rel (1st)

-5.36 SA/60 Rel (1st)

+4.76 SF% Rel (1st)

-0.93 GA/60 Rel (1st)

+0.05 xGF/60 Rel (4th)

-0.67 xGA/60 Rel (1st)

+9.51 xGF% Rel (1st)

-7.47 SCA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.98 SCF% Rel (1st)

I’m running out of time and won’t be able to finish posting all these stats, but you can keep running down the list and Troy is either 1st or 2nd on that D in relative rates for suppression and events for%, pretty much across the board.

Of course, he’s just the best Dman on a bad team, but still, even for raw numbers, instead of relative rates, he’s holding up quite well.

I mean, he’s even 50% on raw Fenwick rates and counts, and he’s actually above 50% for scoring chances and expected goals, which is pretty great for the high minute 5v5 D, playing defensive zone skewed minutes, and on a team like the Red Wings. And his suppression stats (defensive stats measures) are even better.

Can’t help wondering what we’d look like this season had Stecher been brought back on a cheap deal (and he signed for only $1.7M with Detroit, so we could’ve afforded him—probably even could’ve had him back for cheaper, if the Canucks had kept him in the loop, and been more respectful in their dealings with Troy this past offseason). His on-ice impact has always been undervalued by Canucks fans, but he’s continued to be just rock solid after moving to Detroit, and now leads their D in pretty much all of the key defensive on-ice fancy stats and overall events rates. 

Having a steady Dman like Stech, especially defensively, would be real nice right now. And Troy is also the one kid who never quit, and would play his ass off to the final horn, even when the whole team was sucking. Would sure be nice to see some of that ol’ Stech in a few of the games we’ve played this year. 

"Overrated!"

I'm not saying Stech is a top pairing d-man, but it's shocking to see how many people defend him as a 4/5 defenseman and then once he leaves treat him as though he was a 6/7 like Fanta/Benn. We miss his depth and Juolevi/Chatfield haven't yet been able to replace what he brought.

• Hydration 1
6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just to add to the pain:

-7.74 CA/60 Rel (1st)

+3.95 CF% Rel (3rd)

-6.68 FA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.21 FF% Rel (1st)

-5.36 SA/60 Rel (1st)

+4.76 SF% Rel (1st)

-0.93 GA/60 Rel (1st)

+0.05 xGF/60 Rel (4th)

-0.67 xGA/60 Rel (1st)

+9.51 xGF% Rel (1st)

-7.47 SCA/60 Rel (1st)

+7.98 SCF% Rel (1st)

I know people think Toffoli was the one that got away, but losing Stech is the real deep wound I had from the 4 major exits from our team this past summer.

Kid should've stayed with this team, he bled the blue and green for this team. Its a shame the treatment he was given by Benning and the coaching staff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...