The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Stech had a great tourney and good on him. Hope it gets him a solid contract. It strikes me that there is a little glossing over of Troy’s value to Vancouver. I followed his season in Detroit. Detroit is a rebuilding team and suffered ups and downs. Troy was a 

- 13 player and a healthy scratch a number of games. Any suggestion he was not given an opportunity in Vancouver is not fair. 

JB had to decide whether Stecher would be a player on a CUP contender in 2-3 years or whether his TOI could be better invested in other players. I think he made the right decision by moving on. Vancouver has to get much bigger on the back end and have to have more ppg off the back side. Stecher provided none of that. Anyone who argues Stecher couldn’t be worked physically is not being realistic. 

• Vintage 1

It doesn't surprise me that Tony Stretcher had a great tournament and was relied on heavily by team Canada coaching staff.

His game is suited well for the international ice surface and the style of international play.

After his contract runs out in Det I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to secure another contract some where in the league. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'll be honest, while I'm not a Benning hater, it does kind of piss me off how often he and his team fail to even communicate with pending UFAs. Shouldn't be that hard to at least say something.

Yep... everyone understands it is a business and there are cap considerations.

Having guys who love the team leave pissed off is just bad.  Players talk, players spend the summers skating with other players from other teams... having them pissed off trash talking our brass because of being disrespected hurts the prospects of signing other players and at a reasonable price.

It isn't hard to say "Hey, we are in a huge cap crunch... we can't afford what you can probably get on the open market.  Here is the neighbourhood for term and money we have for you... go poke around in free agency and see what is out there for you.  If you can find a situation that is better for you, great thank you so much for your great contribution to the team and good luck with your new team.  Circle back to us on July 1st before we have to make other decisions if you can't find a deal you like more than what we can afford... we would love to have you back."

It seems like a no brainer really.  Do you think Stecher moves to Detroit if have has a 3 year, $1.5 million per offer from the Canucks?  If they Canucks just didn't want him even at that bargain basement price... that is just dumb.  The guy played 30 minutes a night for a stretch and was still above water on his stats.  He was probably our best defensive D man (because Tanev was only there part of each season), and he was clearly a leader who was put out in all the press conferences and media availability.

The same tactic could have been used for Toffoli and Tanev.  Here is the price we can afford... we need to know early July 1st if you want to come back at that price.  Tanev probably moves on because "our" price probably doesn't come close to Calgary's.  If we weren't offering Toffoli a $4 million x 4 year contract... that again is just crazy.

Regardless, if the players did get better offers and moved on... they wouldn't have reason to be that upset with us because they made the choice.  They can be annoyed that Virtanen got the money instead of them... but it isn't disrespectful on our part to our players.

Edited by Provost
Just now, Fanuck said:

It doesn't surprise me that Tony Stretcher had a great tournament and was relied on heavily by team Canada coaching staff.

His game is suited well for the international ice surface and the style of international play.

After his contract runs out in Det I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to secure another contract some where in the league. 

100%

But for Troy he will likely be a guy who’s on rebuilding teams.  On a top team I don’t see where he fits, unless he takes lesser money to be a guy who eats popcorn a lot.  

53 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If his contract is reasonable I don't see why Troy wouldn't stay in Detroit. Steve is going to build a great team there. 

I've often wondered if he wouldn't be suitable as a 4th line wing. And whether Troy shouldn't be kept as a 13F who could fill in on both offense and defense.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the odds Stecher ends up being picked up in the expansion draft?  I say pretty good… Detroit doesn’t have a ton to pick from so a cheap character veteran as. 6-8 or as someone they can flip to another team is a decent option for them.

Would be nice for Stecher to be close to home.

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

What are the odds Stecher ends up being picked up in the expansion draft?  I say pretty good… Detroit doesn’t have a ton to pick from so a cheap character veteran as. 6-8 or as someone they can flip to another team is a decent option for them.

Would be nice for Stecher to be close to home.

This guy predicts they protect Tony Stretcher - his take, not mine:

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-seattle-expansion-draft-4/

Despite what a lot of people say on CDC he's done very well for the Wings and they like him there quite a bit.