Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted 7th round 205th over all.


TheNewGM

Recommended Posts

Late round gems are not as much a rarity as people are making them...

Players drafted in and after the 5th round include...

 

P.Bure

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Jamie Benn

Lundqvist

Rinne

Pavelski

Ryan Miller

Palat

Vrbata

Hoffman

Mark Stone

Erat

J.Klingberg

Hornqvist

Gallagher

A. Lee

D.Wideman

A.Shaw

J.Hansen

Spurgeon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

I know what you mean in that Pavelski is more relied upon for his offence but still - your statement is literally and factually wrong.

Statistically speaking: 

Pavleski has 563 points in 725 games. 

Toews has 564 points in 645 games. 

 

It was only in the past few years Pavelski picked up his scoring prowess. Towes is also 4 years younger and - who knows- may well pick up his scoring as well still being 27 years old. 

Toews has been playing with P.Kane and Hossa and before that when he was younger, he was playing with Havlat, Byfuglien, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Z Hockey nice list.  Though I don't think goalies are ever steals.  They are always low on draft consideration in the history of the draft.

 

 

I think Pavel was the greatest ever educated steal in the draft.  Vancouver did their homework and stole a player that everyone else had deemed ineligible.   

 

Over the history there have been some remarkable finds through the draft, so never stop hoping.  

I mean lots of people groaned at the selection of Bo Horvat.  Many GM's congratulated the Canucks after the draft for selecting one of the best all round players of the draft.  Who knows the kid could end up being the best of his year...only time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Late round gems are not as much a rarity as people are making them...

Players drafted in and after the 5th round include...

 

P.Bure

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Jamie Benn

Lundqvist

Rinne

Pavelski

Ryan Miller

Palat

Vrbata

Hoffman

Mark Stone

Erat

J.Klingberg

Hornqvist

Gallagher

A. Lee

D.Wideman

A.Shaw

J.Hansen

Spurgeon

 

There are since 2000-2001 been 15 drafts. If we say there were only 7 rounds every year (there were more), that means there were 1350 players chosen from rounds 5-7. You have listed 21. And some of these guys were drafted before 2000 as well. Say 100 of them made it into the NHL as effective Top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman and starting goalies. Now compare to the 1st 2 rounds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Z Hockey said:

Toews has been playing with P.Kane and Hossa and before that when he was younger, he was playing with Havlat, Byfuglien, etc.

the thing with toews is,  he was a great player right from the start. when you first saw a rookie jonathan toews, you knew that he would be their captain some day. at one point, i thought that jonathan toews was the best player in the world (i still do), but seldomly ever was mentioned like how guys like crosby and ovi were. he makes everyone around him better, has the heart of a leader-- everything that you want out of an elite player.

 

pavelski is a great player in his own right, but is no johnny toews. he's a great player for where he went in that draft and the sharks are a better team with him, but they arent a championship team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

There are since 2000-2001 been 15 drafts. If we say there were only 7 rounds every year (there were more), that means there were 1350 players chosen from rounds 5-7. You have listed 21. And some of these guys were drafted before 2000 as well. Say 100 of them made it into the NHL as effective Top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman and starting goalies. Now compare to the 1st 2 rounds. 

I'm well aware there were more rounds up until the early 2000s (there were nine), this still proves a point.  I only listed GEMS, like really good or star players, I didn't even

include many other current NHL players that were drafted in that time frame and 5-7 round area, that aren't stars or top six & top four guys. So it still proves a point that

finding top six & four guys in rounds 5-7 is not a rarity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the thing with toews is,  he was a great player right from the start. when you first saw a rookie jonathan toews, you knew that he would be their captain some day. at one point, i thought that jonathan toews was the best player in the world (i still do), but seldomly ever was mentioned like how guys like crosby and ovi were. he makes everyone around him better, has the heart of a leader-- everything that you want out of an elite player.

 

pavelski is a great player in his own right, but is no johnny toews. he's a great player for where he went in that draft and the sharks are a better team with him, but they arent a championship team

Pavelskis offense over Toews, plus Pavelski has a decent captaincy character to him like Toews.  Toews is not the best player in the world, period, he's an overrated 2-way guy like Kesler. He's been playing with

another class of his own 2-way player in

Hossa and many other highly skilled

forwards for years , yet he still has never even scored 80 points... Even Horvat as a sophomore had 3/4 of Toews points this year, Crosby has had 100 plus points 5 times and 102 as a rookie.......... Anybody who says Toews is better than Crosby needs to shake their head and realize

Crosby hasn't had the support cast Toews has had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DWhite said:

Look at where Bure was drafted he's now a hall of famer, then again his situation was a bit different

 

You can say that again. If all the NHL teams thought Pavelski wasn't draft-eligible he'd not have been drafted at all. Bure's clear talent made it a gamble worth taking for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Z Hockey said:

Late round gems are not as much a rarity as people are making them...

Players drafted in and after the 5th round include...

 

P.Bure

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Jamie Benn

Lundqvist

Rinne

Pavelski

Ryan Miller

Palat

Vrbata

Hoffman

Mark Stone

Erat

J.Klingberg

Hornqvist

Gallagher

A. Lee

D.Wideman

A.Shaw

J.Hansen

Spurgeon

 

 

I beg to differ, there are about 90 players drafted in and after the fifth round. Maybe two of those people become solid NHL players. That's like a 3 % chance of getting a good NHL player for a late round draft pick. It's not impossible, but you can't count on it happening.

 

Bottom line: having a high draft pick is a really valuable thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Pavelskis offense over Toews, plus Pavelski has a decent captaincy character to him like Toews.  Toews is not the best player in the world, period, he's an overrated 2-way guy like Kesler. He's been playing with

another class of his own 2-way player in

Hossa and many other highly skilled

forwards for years , yet he still has never even scored 80 points... Even Horvat as a sophomore had 3/4 of Toews points this year, Crosby has had 100 plus points 5 times and 102 as a rookie.......... Anybody who says Toews is better than Crosby needs to shake their head and realize

Crosby hasn't had the support cast Toews has had. 

i know there are people here who don't think rationally when discussing the blackhawks because they just can not get over certain players, but

 

315n32x.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Nail Yakupov, Rick Di Pietro, Patrik Stefan, Alexander Daigle, Roman Hamrlik, Joe Murphy, Brian Lawton, Gord Kluzak, Doug Wickenheiser, Greg Joly. 

 

Lots of flops at #1 overall as well...

McDavid, P.Kane, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Modano, Lecavalier, Lindros, O.Nolan, G. Perreault, Kovalchuk, Hall, W.Clark, Ekblad, R.Nash, Fleury, 

Nugent-Hopkins......

Not often are 1st overalls flops.

And you having Yakupov on that list is

unfair and you know it, he was rushed and used poorly by the emotionless Dallas Eakins.

He's got boatloads of skill and is still very young.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i know there are people here who don't think rationally when discussing the blackhawks because they just can not get over certain players, but

 

315n32x.jpg

Everything I said was factual and

reasonable. You can't deny that Toews couldn't outscore multiple players if he tried. 

You responded with a Simpsons meme... Must show you have more info to reason with........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Game said:

 

I beg to differ, there are about 90 players drafted in and after the fifth round. Maybe two of those people become solid NHL players. That's like a 3 % chance of getting a good NHL player for a late round draft pick. It's not impossible, but you can't count on it happening.

 

Bottom line: having a high draft pick is a really valuable thing.

Wisniewski

Bieksa

Jussi Jokinen

Parenteau

Clowe

Laich

Wellwood

Mike Smith

Seidenberg

Zidlicky

Oduya

McElhinney

Paul Ranger

Max Talbot

Dorsett

 

All chosen in the 5th-8th rounds

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This whole pro tank is a bit misunderstood I think.

 

Atleast for me personally I feel the initial aim for every season should be making the playoffs and then you can start talking about winning the cup. If you are mathematically eliminated however and have nothing to play for, why wouldn't you want to increase your chances of securing a franchise altering type of player that could help you get closer to your goal?

 

It isn't difficult to draft early in the draft, anyone could do it to some accuracy and get a good player. Where drafting really matters is once you are in the later rounds to be able to identify hidden gems, something I feel very comfortable that Benning, Weisbrod and the rest of this management group are able to do.

 

Tate Olson is a fine example of this, a 7th rounder picked by the Canucks who has had a very impressive season at Prince George. He looks like he should have gone in the 2nd-3rd round at this point. 

 

I think it's a bit silly to argue you can build a cup contender when the only team in the last decade who have won without a top 3 pick is Detroit and they lucked out in getting two franchise players in the 6th, and 7th round (something that will probably never be repeated to the same magnitude). It's hardly a recipe for success and you can't really argue against that. It does without a doubt play a massive role in who can jump out of the basement, something Edmonton haven't been able to do and a team like Florida has. Florida have a few top 3 picks in their team as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...