The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted 7th round 205th over all.

TheNewGM

45 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Everything I said was factual and

reasonable. You can't deny that Toews couldn't outscore multiple players if he tried. 

You responded with a Simpsons meme... Must show you have more info to reason with........

"outscore." that's not exactly the point. i'll assume that you're kinda new to the sport, because people don't normally likie to boast that they have "the facts" and rely on a basic knowledge of finding player stats to help your argument. everything that you've said in this thread have provided very little insight on the subject manner, other than you know how to use google

23 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Wisniewski

Bieksa

Jussi Jokinen

Parenteau

Clowe

Laich

Wellwood

Mike Smith

Seidenberg

Zidlicky

Oduya

McElhinney

Paul Ranger

Max Talbot

Dorsett

All chosen in the 5th-8th rounds

Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michálek, Ryan Sutter, Braydon Coburn, Dion Phaneuf, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Brian Boyle, Corey Perry and Patrick Eaves. All drafted in the same first round, all have played more than 500 NHL games.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He was drafted in 2003, which was one the deepest draft years in the history of NHL. The scouting is much better now than it was a decade ago. It doesn't mean it's nearly impossible to find a player that could be a future regular NHL'er in the later rounds, but the chances are pretty slim.

And yet Kesler (1st round) was the only one of our 9 picks to actually make it in the nhl.

5 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

If I am not mistaken wasn't Pavel Bure drafted in the 5th round?   Apparently he was drafted 113th overall (6th round) because he was not eligible before that.  We beat out on Detroit who was planning to take him in the 5th round but couldn't due to eligibility so they were going to get him 116th overall but we got him instead!

Pavelski is a rare one.  Majority of players picked in 3rd round or further doesn't even make it into the NHL, Detroit is well known for harvesting 3rd-5th rounders and turning them well oiled veterans.

We had Pavol Demitra which was a well rounded player for a 227th overall player.

If I am not mistaken wasn't Pavel Bure drafted in the 5th round?   Apparently he was drafted 113th overall (6th round) because he was not eligible before that.  We beat out on Detroit who was planning to take him in the 5th round but couldn't due to eligibility so they were going to get him 116th overall but we got him instead!

There's a story behind that, Bure was SUPPOSED to be a first rounder but many teams didn't think he played enough games in a season to qualify for the entry draft and luckily Vancouver found out that he did so they grabbed him.

Players drafted 3rd round and up is much more about development (and luck) than drafting a gem .

We can draft all the gems we want but if our development department cannot bring them to maturity we'll never have a Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Pavelski.

and BTW Hutton was a 5th rounder, pretty similar to a 7th.

8 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

you seem to be very simple.  if you had any skill with mathmatics, ie: ratios or percentages then you may begin to understand

20 minutes ago, granpappy said:

in hindsight, why did i even respond to this?  ah well jus a few weeks to go to d-day.  our future will be defined for a generation

Our immediate and long term future was defined by the hire of THREE ROOKIES.

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

Toews doesn't play with Kane. 

Toews is an ELITE player, who is a certain HOF guy.  He is the Best player on his team, and the best player in the league.  ALF HATES TOEWS, but accepts the guy is FRIGGIN GOOD.  And he and Kane play Twister - A LOT. :lol::lol::lol: 

How about something everyone agrees on.

The odds of finding a great player in the #1-5 spots, and helps your chances of winning a cup. 

It doesn't mean your team is finished if it doesn't happen either. You can find great players in the draft if you do your homework.

The trick is to maximize your picks by smart drafting. Which is tough regardless because you can have a guy like McDavid, and he can hit a rut in the end boards, snap his leg, or have a concussion and he'll never be the same or even play again. Face it, you are looking at 18 year olds and projecting 5-10 years in the future to what kind of person/player he'll be. 

Having impact players regardless of draft position is what we want. I'd love to see a draft where we get an NHLer in every round. 

Drafting in the top 6 this year will give us a better chance of landing a core type player.  No one can deny that the percentages are higher then if we were in the playoffs. The OP is making a good point though. You don't need to tank to find core players to build a team around. There are a lot of the league's star players that were drafted from the middle of the first down. Benning may have made some mistakes but his drafting has been a high point. Drafting well in all 7 rounds is what is important. 

If the previous management  was more successful at drafting we would still be playoff bound. Gillis did a lot of good things but drafting was a disaster. 

4 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

Everything I said was factual and

reasonable. You can't deny that Toews couldn't outscore multiple players if he tried. 

You responded with a Simpsons meme... Must show you have more info to reason with........

Your post how Pavelski is better than Toews is so self evidently wrong that it doesn't require any further justifcation on Twinklesparks part in my opinion. Maybe Pavelski is a better offensive player currently but you are a blockhead if you firmly believe Pavelski is a better player all round. 

Furthermore your argument that Toews was playing with "better players" is uninformed. You could equally argue that Pavelski was playing behind (and at times with) and protected by guys like Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Burns and more recently Hertl. You may as well discredit any player on the Blackhawks for their accomplishments because they were playing with XYZ. 

I am pretty sure a short description of Toews accomplishments put him leagues (pun intended) ahead of Pavelski:

Toews joined the team in 2007–08 and was nominated for the Calder Memorial Trophy as NHL rookie of the year. The following season, he was named team captain, becoming the third-youngest captain in NHL history (behind Gabriel Landeskog and Sidney Crosby) at the age of 20. Toews won the Stanley Cup in 2010, along with the Conn Smythe Trophy for the playoff MVP. After winning the Cup, Toews passed Peter Forsberg as the youngest player to join the Triple Gold Club. He won the Stanley Cup again in 2013 and 2015.

7 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

Toews would be lucky to be better

offensively speaking, than 

Pavelski......

Furthermore you choose one player on my list (who has shown more leadership and won more Olympic medals and championships than anyone else in the past decade in the NHL) and argue on a minute point (despite clearly being proven wrong by the stats, accomplishments, age) that Pavelski is a better ("offensive") player than Toews.  

If you want to make a point on how 7th round picks are better than Top 3 Overall picks (which equally is self-evidently stupid although I do concede they can be better but this is unlikely) then please for the love of God do not try to argue that Pavelski is a better player than Toews and base your arguments on how Toews is an "overrated two way player" because you just end up looking as smart as Kevin O'Leary in making uninformed political remarks. 

And here are the all-stars picked at 205th since:

Mike Curry!

Mario Bliznak!!!

Andrei Popov!

Paul Postma!!!!!

Jean-Sebastien Berube!

Benjamin Casavant!

Sawyer Hannay!!!

Alexey Marchenko!!!!!

Colton Hargrove!!...

Also, why don't people invest in the lottery more? Dudes win all the time!!!

9 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

I'd rather have Joe Sakic than Joe Pavelski

8 hours ago, The Game said:

Sure, compare it to how many flops at #205 and report back. 

10 flops at #1 overall in 45 years. That's a 22% flop rate for the first pick in the draft. Pretty high if you ask me. 

I'm sure the flop rate is much higher at pick #205 so to get a stud at that pick is quite impressive. It takes great scouting and of course a bit of luck.  

But as the saying goes you gotta be good to be lucky. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about something everyone agrees on.

The odds of finding a great player in the #1-5 spots, and helps your chances of winning a cup. 

It doesn't mean your team is finished if it doesn't happen either. You can find great players in the draft if you do your homework.

The trick is to maximize your picks by smart drafting. Which is tough regardless because you can have a guy like McDavid, and he can hit a rut in the end boards, snap his leg, or have a concussion and he'll never be the same or even play again. Face it, you are looking at 18 year olds and projecting 5-10 years in the future to what kind of person/player he'll be. 

Having impact players regardless of draft position is what we want. I'd love to see a draft where we get an NHLer in every round. 

Always presenting facts to ruin a good story Ghosts...

9 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Yes but the odds are much higher we draft someone who won't see an NHL game in the fifth round.

Its all about odds, the higher you pick the better your chances, simple as that and once In a while you hit a late round home run

It is also all about judgement and who is making that judgement. We have picked lamely for 5 of the last 8 years.

The thing I like about Benning is he has the ability to filter out the diamonds from the rhinestones. I know that when his scouts come talking up this guy or that guy, unlike Gillis, Benning will instinctively know who to pick and who to ignore.

The trouble with the high draft picks is you can still pick a dud. Just look back at the top 10 picks yearly. Benning on the other hand imo can look at theses high picks and instinctively know who might turn out best. He seems to have done it with Boeser and Demko so far. 

Archived