The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted 7th round 205th over all.

TheNewGM

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'd rather have Joe Malone than either one...

I'd rather have Drew Doughty than any of them. If JB can unearth a Drew Doughty figure, this club will be good to go. The guy is a machine, his high standard never drops, he's fearless and he can play any game you ask of him.

I don't think this should be a comparison of high and 7th round draft picks. Just basically sounds like "Keep your draft picks and scout properly." Who gets picked in the first round for a team has no bearing as to the 7th round. A 7th round draft pick basically comes down to finding a guy who everyone passed 6 rounds prior and hope for the best.

49 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

10 flops at #1 overall in 45 years. That's a 22% flop rate for the first pick in the draft. Pretty high if you ask me. 

I'm sure the flop rate is much higher at pick #205 so to get a stud at that pick is quite impressive. It takes great scouting and of course a bit of luck.  

But as the saying goes you gotta be good to be lucky. 

ya think?  you're 'sure' there are more misses at 215?  i'm sure there is a more than 90% flop rate at 205.  

i think it's lucky to be good 

To be fair, most of the busts that were picked first overall happened in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Scouting has come a long way since those days. Plus Stefan was a 1st ovr pick, but one of the Sedins should have gone first.

Only reason they didn't was they said they wouldn't come over to NA unless they were together and Canucks were the only team that could make that possible, so we traded our 1st ovr pick to the Stars for either their 2nd or 3rd ovr pick with the condition they don't pick one of the Sedins and then grabbed them at 2 and 3.

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He was drafted in 2003, which was one the deepest draft years in the history of NHL. The scouting is much better now than it was a decade ago. It doesn't mean it's nearly impossible to find a player that could be a future regular NHL'er in the later rounds, but the chances are pretty slim.

Exactly, with the volume of scouts and the social continuity between them, the later gems are becoming harder to find. I think development has just as much, if not more to do with the success of late picks. Finding the raw talent is the easy part. 

12 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

One of the things Benning did early on was get all of the scouts in the organization to follow the same system, right down to a common terminology used to describe players. Ensuring the whole scouting system is looking at players in a common way, and for the skills Benning wants, is going to pay off this year in a big way. I'm as happy about a top 6 pick as the next guy, but we also get top picks in each round (except the 5th for now) and that's where we can steal some gems. 

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

College guys are biting into the stats as well - over same time period the number of guys who played in college went from 20 to 30% of all players in the NHL, which means more guys never making it out of the OHL, WHL, etc. I don't know the Euro stats but I bet thats making it harder on the scouting department too, you have to have a lot of eyes everywhere. That's why I really like all the travel Benning does, to go see a lot of guys for himself. I don't think we've ever had a GM that traveled this much to assess players.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice post.  Why with this evidence do posters continue to argue that it doesn't matter where we draft?

Well someone is smart enough to draft those later round guys that make it. I'd like that to be us.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Well someone is smart enough to draft those later round guys that make it. I'd like that to be us.

And no one has actually said it doesn't matter where we draft. That is fur balls' straw man. 

What matters is making good value picks in every round regardless of position. And that takes many years to know for sure if it was done. 

But it according to the poster you quoted, it does matter where Boeser and Demko were picked because our GM is so arrogant to think he might know what he is doing when picking at any spot. 

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

And no one has actually said it doesn't matter where we draft. That is fur balls' straw man. 

What matters is making good value picks in every round regardless of position. And that takes many years to know for sure if it was done. 

But it according to the poster you quoted, it does matter where Boeser and Demko were picked because our GM is so arrogant to think he might know what he is doing when picking at any spot. 

Good drafting like that is what makes Detroit Detroit. That is where Benning wants to take the team, and he's 2 years into a 5-6 year plan. I hope ownership can be patient and let that happen. 

13 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

Finding good players in the later rounds is one thing, developing them is another. The Sharks have always shown an ability in their organization to draft and develop talent. Same thing can be said for Detroit. My point is, would Pavelski be where he is now if he had been drafted and developed by the Oilers? I doubt it. They didn't draft a gem, they drafted a diamond in the rough and cut and polished him until he was a star.

8 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

"outscore." that's not exactly the point. i'll assume that you're kinda new to the sport, because people don't normally likie to boast that they have "the facts" and rely on a basic knowledge of finding player stats to help your argument. everything that you've said in this thread have provided very little insight on the subject manner, other than you know how to use google

Ok first off im definitely not new to hockey, I've been playing hockey my whole life and am going to Junior camps next month.

And believe me I'm not a stats guy, I never critique a player by there plus minus or anything like that. All I said was Toews couldn't outscore multiple players, all I need is stats to prove that point. It's obvious buddy, go look it up. 

"Outscore" is the point actually

because I'm talking offensive total comparisons.

I don't care how good you are in every other situation on the ice, if for

example Crosby has 5 100 plus point years, and Toews never even 80, then just those offensive totals make

Crosby the better player.

No arguing that. Add on that Crosby can bring at least 1/3 of Toews

leadership, grit, and mostly clutch play.

1 minute ago, Z Hockey said:

Ok first off im definitely not new to hockey, I've been playing hockey my whole life and am going to Junior camps next month.

And believe me I'm not a stats guy, I never critique a player by there plus minus or anything like that. All I said was Toews couldn't outscore multiple players, all I need is stats to prove that point. It's obvious buddy, go look it up. 

Hey!  Congrats on the Junior camps.  That's awesome.  Hockey, at that level, is BY FAR the most fun.  

Archived