The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted 7th round 205th over all.

TheNewGM

20 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

Of course we COULD draft someone good in the 7th round but why would our position affect this?  If we pick 29th in the 7th round and are worrying about missing a guy you draft him in the 6th round instead. 

Try comparing first round picks to 5-7th round picks.  It's all about odds and the odds are better the earlier you pick in the first round.

20 hours ago, danjr said:

Over the history there have been some remarkable finds through the draft, so never stop hoping.  

I mean lots of people groaned at the selection of Bo Horvat.  Many GM's congratulated the Canucks after the draft for selecting one of the best all round players of the draft.  Who knows the kid could end up being the best of his year...only time will tell.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Horvat could end up the best drafted player in that draft class as there are others who have just as high of a potential as him, if anything are already crucial pieces to their respective teams including:

Aleksander Barkov - already making a huge impact on the Panthers

Nathan MacKinnon

Jonathan Drouin (still needs a couple more seasons in the NHL to truly show his talent before throwing him out the window)

Rasmus Ristolainen

Zachary Fucale

Madison Bowey

Seth Jones

Darnell Nurse

Anthony Duclair

On 4/15/2016 at 8:55 PM, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

It's also important to realize that the chances of a 4th round pick working out are like 11% they play 100 games. But about 9% for a 7th round pick. There really isn't that much of a difference. This is why gathering these picks is incredibly valuable. Even if they aren't top 90 picks. If you have 10 4-7th round picks what most see as "long shot picks" you most likely walk out with a NHL player in the later round of the draft.

This is why it's important to stockpile picks and not put them in throw away deals. Every pick is a lottery ticket. You don't want to be the one who gives his lottery winner away for Brandon Prust.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

On 15/04/2016 at 11:13 PM, clam linguine said:

Chances of drafting an all star 

Picks 1-5   49%

Picks 6-10  18%

Picks 11-15 25%

Picks 16-20 8%

Chances of drafting an all star after round 3...in round numbers...I'm gonna say.....0%. 

So basically, Jake Virtanen would be more likely to be an all-star if we traded down to 11 and he was still there or traded up to 5 and took him there. Good to know. (troll troll troll troll)

8 hours ago, WTG said:

If you have 10 4-7th round picks what most see as "long shot picks" you most likely walk out with a NHL player in the later round of the draft.

So, 10 late picks in a draft and odds are you get 1 NHL player.

And this is why it's so important to stockpile them.

Go Leafs GO!

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

So, 10 late picks in a draft and odds are you get 1 NHL player.

And this is why it's so important to stockpile them.

Go Leafs GO!

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

fo14.gif

Yeah, the leafs are doing smart things. Is that hard for you guys to admit?

22 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say Horvat could end up the best drafted player in that draft class as there are others who have just as high of a potential as him, if anything are already crucial pieces to their respective teams including:

Aleksander Barkov - already making a huge impact on the Panthers

Nathan MacKinnon

Jonathan Drouin (still needs a couple more seasons in the NHL to truly show his talent before throwing him out the window)

Rasmus Ristolainen

Zachary Fucale

Madison Bowey

Seth Jones

Darnell Nurse

Anthony Duclair

Don't forget Monahan who is currently the best player to come out of that draft.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Don't forget Monahan who is currently the best player to come out of that draft.

Barkov is better.  A LOT better.  Their points are similar but Monahan gets a much higher % of ozone starts.  Plus he plays with an offensive Dynamo in Goudreau.  Barkov plays a more effective 200 foot game, as evidenced by his much better plus minus stats.  I like Monahan, but firmly believe Barkov to be the better player.  Bo will become a better player than Monahan too, when he gets elite line mates, and PP time.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Barkov is better.  A LOT better.  Their points are similar but Monahan gets a much higher % of ozone starts.  Plus he plays with an offensive Dynamo in Goudreau.  Barkov plays a more effective 200 foot game, as evidenced by his much better plus minus stats.  I like Monahan, but firmly believe Barkov to be the better player.  Bo will become a better player than Monahan too, when he gets elite line mates, and PP time.

Barkov is good and could be better but currently monahan is easily the best player that draft.  Barkov had a good season, but one good season playing with Huberdeau and Jagr doesn't make up for everything that Sean has done already.  Monahan has put up 20+ goals in every season he's played,  He's also cracked the 30 goal mark and has two 60 point seasons, something Barkov has yet to do.  There is a reason why Barkov's contract extension is under a cap hit of 6, while 6 is the starting point for the Monahan extension talks.    And yes alf I know you hate Calgary but you are also have a terrible eye for hockey skill, and honestly I have better things to do than debate hockey with someone who was upset when the blue highlight was taken off the puck.   

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Barkov is good and could be better but currently monahan is easily the best player that draft.  Barkov had a good season, but one good season playing with Huberdeau and Jagr doesn't make up for everything that Sean has done already.  Monahan has put up 20+ goals in every season he's played,  He's also cracked the 30 goal mark and has two 60 point seasons, something Barkov has yet to do.  There is a reason why Barkov's contract extension is under a cap hit of 6, while 6 is the starting point for the Monahan extension talks.    And yes alf I know you hate Calgary but you are also have a terrible eye for hockey skill, and honestly I have better things to do than debate hockey with someone who was upset when the blue highlight was taken off the puck.   

On a side note, if the puck was made to blow like that, why can't we make it sense when it's completely across the goal line?  Yes I hate the Flames, and Calgary.  Barkov's stats show he is now better than Monahan, and Bo will pass him too, when he gets the same offensive opportunity.  I like Monahan, but I don't understand how you can argue against the statistical evidence that Barkov is now better?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On a side note, if the puck was made to blow like that, why can't we make it sense when it's completely across the goal line?  Yes I hate the Flames, and Calgary.  Barkov's stats show he is now better than Monahan, and Bo will pass him too, when he gets the same offensive opportunity.  I like Monahan, but I don't understand how you can argue against the statistical evidence that Barkov is now better?  

And I guess Marchand is better than Toews now to?  Alf there is a reason why you are the most blocked posted on CDC.  Every time you type something you give aliens a bad rep.

When the draft age is moved up a year, as is being talked about. teams will be able to better assess players....and it is unlikely that there will be many gems left in the later rounds .  Plus, honestly, why do they still have so many rounds when very few make the NHL from these later rounds?  Why not just let them mature and, if they are good enough later on, they could be free agents...like the 4 year college players are.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And I guess Marchand is better than Toews now to?  Alf there is a reason why you are the most blocked posted on CDC.  Every time you type something you give aliens a bad rep.

I love you too.  I like Marchand.  He reminds me of someone I know. :lol:

Toews is the best player in the world.  Or until Barkov surpasses him. ^_^

yes my views are alien.  I guess there are a lot of guys here who like hockey, even claim to play, but just can't stomach going into the corners.  I'm okay with that.  Now you having Forsberg as you Favorite player (I assume so) HAD BETTER never back down from the uncomfortable areas, because that guy never did.  He ALWAYS played the game hard, and NEVER avoided the uncomfortable areas.  

On 4/15/2016 at 11:13 PM, clam linguine said:

Chances of drafting an all star 

Picks 1-5   49%

Picks 6-10  18%

Picks 11-15 25%

Picks 16-20 8%

Chances of drafting an all star after round 3...in round numbers...I'm gonna say.....0%. 

7 hours ago, Aircool said:

So basically, Jake Virtanen would be more likely to be an all-star if we traded down to 11 and he was still there or traded up to 5 and took him there. Good to know. (troll troll troll troll)

Those are the probabilities for players drafted in  the twenty years 1990-2010.... if that means anything in your world.

Archived