The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted 7th round 205th over all.

TheNewGM

12 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Those are the probabilities for players drafted in  the twenty years 1990-2010.... if that means anything in your world.

Lol I was using as faulty logic as I could muster, so no. In the world of the faultiest logic, only facts that prove faulty logic matter... Because then the faulty logic must adapt to stay faulty.

On 4/15/2016 at 4:29 AM, Creepy Crawler said:

Pavelski is a rare one.  Majority of players picked in 3rd round or further doesn't even make it into the NHL, Detroit is well known for harvesting 3rd-5th rounders and turning them well oiled veterans.

We had Pavol Demitra which was a well rounded player for a 227th overall player.

There's a story behind that, Bure was SUPPOSED to be a first rounder but many teams didn't think he played enough games in a season to qualify for the entry draft and luckily Vancouver found out that he did so they grabbed him.

Thanks for the explanation.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:15 PM, 19Nazzy91 said:

And the Sedins were number 2 and 3 pick.

Naslund was 16th overall.

Linden was 2nd overall.

3 career Canucks, all were high picks.

Point is that chances are way more likely for good players to come from the first round or two.

Drafted 113th overall, Pavel Bure.

pavel_burecanucks.jpeg

1 minute ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Drafted 113th overall, Pavel Bure.

pavel_burecanucks.jpeg

One example among so many top overall picks.

Bure was a unique case. People weren't willing to risk drafting him earlier because they weren't sure if he'd even want to leave the Soviet Union to play in the NHL.

8 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

Bure was a unique case. People weren't willing to risk drafting him earlier because they weren't sure if he'd even want to leave the Soviet Union to play in the NHL.

Oh I know the backstory (I'm on a Canucks webforum for chrissakes lol), it just seemed to be conveinently left out of the list of where top Canucks players were drafted.

The thing with draft picks is that I'm an addict, I just want more of them.

That being said, if you're asking me if I'd rather have #1 or #28 I'm taking #1, it's simply a no brainer. As the rounds start to go down and the picks start to go up the picture is much more blurry. You end up with players in later rounds that are generally great to decent physical specimens that just haven't turned into top flight hockey players at their current level. So you can find winners down there, they're just not "sure things" like the picks at the top of the draft are supposed to be. The best scouts are able to identify which players are able to put the work in to match their physical ability and make it at the NHL level.

24 minutes ago, 19Nazzy91 said:

They weren't sure if he was actually eligible to be drafted so they didn't risk a pick on him.

On 4/16/2016 at 8:33 PM, Apple Juice said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say Horvat could end up the best drafted player in that draft class as there are others who have just as high of a potential as him, if anything are already crucial pieces to their respective teams including:

Aleksander Barkov - already making a huge impact on the Panthers

Nathan MacKinnon

Jonathan Drouin (still needs a couple more seasons in the NHL to truly show his talent before throwing him out the window)

Rasmus Ristolainen

Zachary Fucale

Madison Bowey

Seth Jones

Darnell Nurse

Anthony Duclair

"Many GM's congratulated the Canucks after the draft for selecting one of the best all round players of the draft"

I agree with your point, however, I believe the point being made was that Horvat is a 200 foot player, not just a one dimension type of guy.

regards,  G.

23 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

"Many GM's congratulated the Canucks after the draft for selecting one of the best all round players of the draft"

I agree with your point, however, I believe the point being made was that Horvat is a 200 foot player, not just a one dimension type of guy.

regards,  G.

That is what I meant when I posted it.  I didn't say it.  That is what GM's were reported to say to the drafting team of the Canucks during the draft weekend.

On April 15, 2016 at 10:55 PM, TheNewGM said:

Joe Pavelski

just found this out and suddenly I dont care about draft picks as much. I was allways pro tank. But now , all that matters is that we draft some gems in ANY round.. AND sign players to appropriate contracts not huge overpayments..

Topic might be dead since season is over.

I just had to point this out to anyone who cares..Still hoping for Mathews..but we could draft someone better then Mathews in the 5th round..?

I've got a better idea, trade all the picks and go the undrafted UFA route...Marty St. Louis was never drafted and he's a future Hall of Famer who's won everything. 

On April 15, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Z Hockey said:

McDavid, P.Kane, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Modano, Lecavalier, Lindros, O.Nolan, G. Perreault, Kovalchuk, Hall, W.Clark, Ekblad, R.Nash, Fleury, 

Nugent-Hopkins......

Not often are 1st overalls flops.

And you having Yakupov on that list is

unfair and you know it, he was rushed and used poorly by the emotionless Dallas Eakins.

He's got boatloads of skill and is still very young.

Yakupov is a flop until he's not, no one is saying it's all his fault but as of now flop...

On April 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM, 19Nazzy91 said:

That had nothing to do with it, the entire NHL thought he was ineligible and the Canucks found a loophole via games played that made Bure eligible. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That had nothing to do with it, the entire NHL thought he was ineligible and the Canucks found a loophole via games played that made Bure eligible. 

NHL organizations were afraid [Pavel Bure] would not leave the Soviet Union to play in the NHL thus deterring teams from selecting him early, although scouts and analysts believed he could have been selected as high as the second round in case he defected.  - wikipedia

It may have not been the whole deal, but it was definitely a factor.

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yakupov is a flop until he's not, no one is saying it's all his fault but as of now flop...

He's appearing as a flop, he needs a fresh start on a new team. If he keeps festering in Edmonton and doesn't get traded, the way he's being used will ruin him and he will

become a flop in a season or two.

Archived