The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Down 61% Will Bettman conceed "brand" of hocky is poor?

46 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

What a shame. The hockey is the best it's been in years. People who only watch for Canadian teams are missing out

agreed. i have followed many games. it the playoffs! can't miss hockey in my opinion

I am a big sports fan, watched some games, portions of others, will watch game 7 of Royals / Rockets tonight.

Sportsnet guys are terrible, Strombo, Cox, PJ Stock, Spector, Shannon, MacLean, Healy and Kypreos all hated the Canucks until ratings dictated they had to start being nicer but it was to late for all of those biased d!cks

Well glad to see people debating the reasons why viewership is down.  Only 2 points brought up I personally think are not valid.

1 it just "casual watchers" missing.  I only watch Canuck games(and the odd FLA to watch Lou) and am a rabid fan of the Team(not ownership*see name*) So do not feel the fan who only cheers for His/her team should be dismissed as any good business will tell you. Bettman's Brand" fails to capture the "casual" or "team loyal" fan and this lead to 2nd point.

2."I wonder what the USA viewing numbers would be like if there were no American teams in the playoffs?  My guess is down 85%."

That number makes no sense if you look at the figures keeping in mind only 23% of teams in Canadian Cities.

"The confidential document shows that the six Canadian NHL clubs last season accounted for about 33 per cent of the $1.2 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue. In 2007-08, Canada's six teams represented 31 per cent. " And these #'s almost 10 years old.

If with no Canadian Teams in viewership fall almost 2/3's(61%) then it follows no US team viewership falls by 1/3+(39%)

Guess I will have to learn how to do Polls.   Adding a why you think viewership down polls would have been a be nice touch

54 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

I agree with this, TSN had the best production value I've seen for hockey. It sucks that they lost the rights to even the draft, I would never watch sportsnet back in the day, unless Taylor was doing the 10pm show

Honestly, Sportsnet has been a huge turn off for me since that deal. Even HNIC is dying now because of it. As much as I dislike MacLean, Strombo makes me miss him badly. TSN was by far the best network for anything hockey. That's part of the problem, since the TV deal went down, quality went down severely. Can't stand watching PJ Stock or some other Sportsnet loser EVERY GAME. 

7 minutes ago, AntiAquaman said:

2."I wonder what the USA viewing numbers would be like if there were no American teams in the playoffs?  My guess is down 85%."

That number makes no sense if you look at the figures keeping in mind only 23% of teams in Canadian Cities.

"The confidential document shows that the six Canadian NHL clubs last season accounted for about 33 per cent of the $1.2 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue. In 2007-08, Canada's six teams represented 31 per cent. " And these #'s almost 10 years old.

If with no Canadian Teams in viewership fall almost 2/3's(61%) then it follows no US team viewership falls by 1/3+(39%)

My "85% down" estimate was for American viewership not all viewership.  In other words..how many American hockey fans would be watching the playoffs if only Canadian teams were participating?

3 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Honestly, Sportsnet has been a huge turn off for me since that deal. Even HNIC is dying now because of it. As much as I dislike MacLean, Strombo makes me miss him badly. TSN was by far the best network for anything hockey. That's part of the problem, since the TV deal went down, quality went down severely. Can't stand watching PJ Stock or some other Sportsnet loser EVERY GAME. 

But...Sportsnet offered more money to the NHL for the contract.  Who cares about the quality of the product...it's all about the money.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

My "85% down" estimate was for American viewership not all viewership.  In other words..how many American hockey fans would be watching the playoffs if only Canadian teams were participating?

ahhh that makes more sense :D

Further to me previous rant...having toe watch players answer the bell for clean hits... having to sit through 2 minute scrums after a almost every shot on net...Watching the coaches use the challenge to overturn goals that need a computer to calculate off-side or just to get a 5 minute time out to change momentum...watching the DOPS turn a blind eye to infractions by stars (Keith) whilst throwing the book at lesser offenses (Rome in 2011).

Meh...I watch and I can even pull for one team over another (which I hate least) but I believe the Bettman era has largely destroyed a great sport and turned it into reality TV program designed by a lawyer.

1 hour ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Bettman could care less. The only ones hurting by this are NBC, USA, and the other networks.

Maybe if TSN didn't crap the bed and bend over to SportsNet in 2014, they would have more viewers in the East Coast.

Also, I'm pretty sure Edmonton, Toronto, and Ottawa being perennial losers is not Bettman's fault. Nor did Bettman order a hit on Carey Price, knocking the Habs out or have the Sedins magically age their bodies 5 years in a span of 1.

There is some good Canadian boys that are worth to watch. Toews, Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Perry, Keith, Giroux, Benn, Seguin, Weber, Doughty....and that's not even considering the skilled Euro's and Americans.

Rogers overpaid. 

I am 99% certain TSN was planning to take a shot at becoming the national carrier of all things NHL before the Rogers deal took place. Look at their current channel lineup with TSN 1-5. Getting those 5 channels is a process and wouldn't have been done over night...and ain't cheap.

It has to go through regulatory commissions and what not. My bet is they were going to broadcast hockey on all those on Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesdays...or some combo like that. It seems that was their long term vision...which is why they paid so much for the HNIC theme song. 

I just try to catch the 3rd period or if there's a game in OT... otherwise i dont watch much playoff hockey without the Canucks in it :ph34r:

Also, the NHL and HNIC/SPN has done a terrible job with their NHL playoffs promos. Sportsnet always does the stupid "the stars collide" crap in their promos

So far i have not seen anything memorable with the intros in these playoffs.

remember these?!?

1 hour ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Bettman could care less. The only ones hurting by this are NBC, USA, and the other networks.

Maybe if TSN didn't crap the bed and bend over to SportsNet in 2014, they would have more viewers in the East Coast.

Also, I'm pretty sure Edmonton, Toronto, and Ottawa being perennial losers is not Bettman's fault. Nor did Bettman order a hit on Carey Price, knocking the Habs out or have the Sedins magically age their bodies 5 years in a span of 1.

There is some good Canadian boys that are worth to watch. Toews, Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Perry, Keith, Giroux, Benn, Seguin, Weber, Doughty....and that's not even considering the skilled Euro's and Americans.

At least we can see the best of the worst for the loser cup

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Some series like SJ/LA is good. I can't say Dallas/Minny is entertaining.

I have watched a bit of all the series and except for the Dallas/Minnesota one, they are pretty decent games. Entertaining for sure.

I'm loving these numbers. When you can't sell NHL hockey to Canadians, you are shockingly mis-managed. Maybe, just maybe, it will dawn on some of these owners that the people that keep them in business are not happy. Skeezy media, insider old-boy networking, tweaking rules that don't need tweaking (just what constitutes a kicked-in goal now?), managed officiating.

The regulars are heading out the door, Gary. You know what comes next.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Could care less", is an expression that kills me. Doesn't make sense, & sounds bloody-well backwards.

If a person doesn't feel one iota of concern, why is "could" not expressed in the negative? To say one 'couldn't care less', implies their personal concern is at the absolute MINIMUM!

& yes the game sucks today. The NHL's a rigged farce. Proudly I declare they have not extracted a plugged nickel from my pocket, in the 21st C. F*ck'em. My private boycott will roll on, & Bettman blows(corrupt little lawyer with Napolean-complex).

Love ice hockey(& the Canucks)..& personally see what happened to this league as a damn shame.

/end rant.

Spot on.

Archived