The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Down 61% Will Bettman conceed "brand" of hocky is poor?

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Could care less", is an expression that kills me. Doesn't make sense, & sounds bloody-well backwards.

If a person doesn't feel one iota of concern, why is "could" not expressed in the negative? To say one 'couldn't care less', implies their personal concern is at the absolute MINIMUM!

& yes the game sucks today. The NHL's a rigged farce. Proudly I declare they have not extracted a plugged nickel from my pocket, in the 21st C. F*ck'em. My private boycott will roll on, & Bettman blows(corrupt little lawyer with Napolean-complex).

Love ice hockey(& the Canucks)..& personally see what happened to this league as a damn shame.

/end rant.

Yup I agree, have watched hockey religiously since well ... since I can remember, I know ,but was a bruins fan growing up, bobby orr , then canucks came in, we traded cam neeley, was a fan of both teams(until the 2011 ) Bruins can rot in hell, then moved to van from interior of B.C been a die hard fan of canucks  since went to a ton of games when I lived in  van back in late 80's early 90's, hell even did couple trips from island  once I moved there to see some life games, since 2011 playoffs, honestly have watched a couple games, I always check online updates but will not pay money to watch the corrupt bettman NHL

18 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Did you watch the last minute of the Kings/Sharks in game one. No one scored a goal but it was the most exciting hockey I've seen in a long time

I was at work <_<  Heard it was good though.

The Chicago - St. Louis games have been entertaining too for what it's worth.

It's not that all the games are boring.  I'm just finding the exciting ones to be fewer and further between.

37 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ratings drop has nothing to do with SportsNet vs TSN. 

Only the hardcore fans even know about the different TV networks and hosts, casual fans who would be watching if the Canucks were in the playoffs have no idea about TV contracts, player salaries, salary cap etc. etc. etc. They don't know the announcers names. They just watch hockey because its the buzz in the city. 

People like us who know all these details still watch and will continue to watch, we are the 39%. 

Yup, this just shows that 61% are only casual hockey fans and will only watch when their team is in.  

6 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Yup, this just shows that 61% are only casual hockey fans and will only watch when their team is in.  

Yup, No surprise really. None at all. All you gotta do is look around at your own family and friends, many don't watch hockey but will watch it with family and friends during the playoffs because everyone is talking about the Canucks, cars are honking around town with Canuck flags etc. It's all the buzz and the city gets into it. No one wants to be left out. 

Americans don't watch much hockey anyways. In Dallas their main newspaper had a primer on hockey rules to get ready for the playoffs. This is a town where they've had a team for around 20 years and they've won a Cup. 

As expected. When you're not emotionally invested in the teams and don't care who wins that's the end product. 

Surely there are others that feel the same way. I'm not a casual fan either. I go to about 20 home games a year and watch all the rest. I follow all our prospects and the comets. Just won't take time out of my day for other teams. If the Canucks were in I'd be glued to my seat with beers.

4 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

What a shame. The hockey is the best it's been in years. People who only watch for Canadian teams are missing out

Unfortunately many people only watch their own team too, and not even other Canadian/other teams. People really miss out a lot and I think it also has the side effect of a lot of the nutty conspiracy stuff many fans (not just Canucks fans) have around their team. 

I've watched a bit of the Stars/Wild and Sharks/Kings series but while it's entertaining hockey it just hasn't grabbed me.

It's nice to be able to watch good hockey without the investment but at the same time I can keep tabs on the playoffs and do other things with my time. It's been more of the latter.

Personally, I don't feel the need to watch any games this year, but usually when there's a Canadian team I try my best to watch their games.

4 hours ago, AntiAquaman said:

It’s a shame because Canadians who have not tuned in have missed out on some pretty entertaining hockey.

That's not true. With live updates on twitter, facebook, etc.. you don't really miss out on any of the exciting stuff.

That's why I'm not watching any games this year, I'm voting with my remote control.  Bettman and his fricking USA TV deals... eat it, Buttman!

You must not have been around in the 70s to watch the end to end "entertainment" hockey used to provide.  The modern product is a result of bigger, faster and much better coached players crammed onto a playing surface too small for their abilities. 

Yup I used to watch the Islanders in late 70's-early 80's because of Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier and eventually Pat LaFontaine (my favorite all time NHL player).  Even went to the '82 SCF games in Vancouver.  Hockey back then was brutal, it was like a blood bowl or ancient Rome jousting at times.

Lots of people are using unsolicited streams to watch games and frankly, I don't blame them.

I honestly hate myself for watching Sportsnet's coverage, but I only do it because it's hockey. From their essentially useless panel comprising of poorly designed and mentally deficient muppets, to them being too f***ing cheap to carry NBC's feeds for games they don't have TV crews at, I honestly can't think of any other reason I continue to put up with them.

Hopefully the huge ratings dive forces Rogers to change things up, but we all pretty much know they won't because they're cheap bastards and they have a monopoly. They do show all the games, so I guess they have at least one thing going for them.

36 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

That's why I'm not watching any games this year, I'm voting with my remote control.  Bettman and his fricking USA TV deals... eat it, Buttman!

Yup I used to watch the Islanders in late 70's-early 80's because of Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier and eventually Pat LaFontaine (my favorite all time NHL player).  Even went to the '82 SCF games in Vancouver.  Hockey back then was brutal, it was like a blood bowl or ancient Rome jousting at times.

It was brutal but fast and exciting.  If a player took a cheap shot at someone, he had to stand up and be counted.  The stars had space and time to really show their stuff.  I feel sorry for the current generation of hockey fans who never had the opportunity to watch games where you were literally on the edge of your seat shift after shift as the play went back and forth with creative plays generating scoring chances off the rush.  

The sad thing is, there are probably more high-end talented players now than then but the size of players, and coaching have evolved to focus on shutting down offence as the number one goal. 

Like Gretzky said. "today's game lacks creativity".  When 6 year old kids are told to play responsible defensive hockey instead of just going out and making great things happen with the puck, you have lost the magic of the game. 

57 minutes ago, BI3KSA- said:

Unfortunately many people only watch their own team too, and not even other Canadian/other teams. People really miss out a lot and I think it also has the side effect of a lot of the nutty conspiracy stuff many fans (not just Canucks fans) have around their team. 

I am watching because I can't help myself.  Honestly though, without my team in it or a Canadian team to pull for (national pride) the product isn't that exciting to me.  To enjoy watching 60 minutes for the 10-12 reasonable scoring chances generated most nights, I need to have some skin in the game.  Today's NHL is getting closer and closer to resembling soccer form an offense generating perspective.

Used to watch every series and game of playoffs, no matter canucks or not.

haven't watched a single period this year, not even highlights. I just come to CDC to check out the game threads and get updated.

Finally catched game 4 of hawks/blues series at frd's house, saw that gongshow reffing of period 2.....Yep not tuning in.

Tired of this league thinking this crap product is good enough.

The Globe and Mail published article yesterday "Canadian viewers have an ironic aversion to Rogers hockey broadcasts": http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canadian-viewers-have-an-ironic-aversion-to-rogers-hockey-broadcasts/article29671335/ . Here are some quotes:

Of all the headaches the NHL broadcast contract has given Rogers Media, one stands out: the constant stream of complaints from viewers.

On Twitter, Facebook and other forms of social media, along with the comments following online stories, the majority of gripes fall into two broad categories. The first can be summed up as get rid of Hockey Night In Canada host George Stroumboulopoulos and bring back his predecessor, Ron MacLean. The second is hate for the new look and new faces Rogers brought to the broadcasts, with the bulk of the complaints about Hockey Night, which was a CBC institution for 62 years.

The irony about the intensity of the complaints about Rogers’ version of national hockey broadcasts, whether it’s Hockey Night or Sunday night’s Hometown Hockey or the Wednesday-night shows, is that the company went to great lengths to find out what Canadian fans wanted before it made all of the changes. Rogers and the NHL put together a research team that toured the seven Canadian NHL cities plus Red Deer, Alta., Sudbury and Kingston, in the late winter of 2014.

This played into Rogers’ radically different approach to the broadcasts, which saw an $11-million studio built with all kinds of dazzling high-tech touches such as an ice surface that served as a screen for showing lineups or stats. Instead of sitting at a desk, broadcasters now stand on the mock ice surface with hockey sticks to make a point or sit on couches. MacLean and Cherry were both given lower profiles, with the Rogers producers keeping a tighter rein on the running time of Coach’s Corner. Stroumboulopoulos and his skinny suits were brought in as the younger, hipper face of the Saturday-night show.

And the complaints grew even louder, much to the dismay of Rogers executives.

But those employees believe there will be major changes over the summer to the hockey shows in response to the poor ratings in the first two years of the NHL contract. That was signalled by the recent firing of Gord Cutler, the senior vice-president of NHL production, who was No. 2 to Sportsnet president Scott Moore in the hockey department.

The timing of the move, on the eve of the playoffs, showed there was much more to it than a financial move. Cutler was hired from rival network TSN and those who know him say he was never shy about expressing his aversion for the way the CBC produced Hockey Night. His firing is a strong indication those at the top of Rogers Communications Inc., were not happy with the broadcasts.

But what those changes will be, aside from cost-cutting, has the staff guessing...

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am watching because I can't help myself.  Honestly though, without my team in it or a Canadian team to pull for (national pride) the product isn't that exciting to me.  To enjoy watching 60 minutes for the 10-12 reasonable scoring chances generated most nights, I need to have some skin in the game.  Today's NHL is getting closer and closer to resembling soccer form an offense generating perspective.

Its definitely a lot more exciting to watch the Canucks, because of the emotional investment, so the playoffs arent anywhere near the same without us in them. That being said, I'm a fan of the sport and its always fun to watch great teams battle in a 7 game series. I really feel no more draw to Canadian teams than I do to any other team that isnt the Nucks, though. While offense is low, as you said, the league is very competitive these days so its exciting to see the 2016 playoff storyline unfold. Its really quite a toss up as to who takes home the cup this year.

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Who knows, I'm a whiner not a helper.

But I will say that I don't know a single person (outside of CDC) who followed the NHL this year. Is that a Canucks problem? Maybe, but I just think that for a lot of people the product becomes boring when it's bogged down with sentimentality and fireworks.

Idk if there's a solution, but maybe it's just like other cyclical forms and genres of entertainment where people get invested, then lose interest, then get re-invested.

Does anybody know if the regular season viewer numbers were down this year?

I think the solution comes from low fan interest.

Using the Canucks as an example,

the "Rebuild" did not start happening until mid-season when fans stopped showing up.

Had that not happened FA and co would be happy to keep milking the faithful.

the NHL is the same, as long as the cap keeps rising Bettman and co will keep milking the faithful.

I'd like to see 3 years of no Canadian teams, that would be a true test of King Gary's leadership. 

14 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

I am a big sports fan, watched some games, portions of others, will watch game 7 of Royals / Rockets tonight.

Sportsnet guys are terrible, Strombo, Cox, PJ Stock, Spector, Shannon, MacLean, Healy and Kypreos all hated the Canucks until ratings dictated they had to start being nicer but it was to late for all of those biased d!cks

The silver lining to this is S-Net might cut some of that ugly fat. Most of the Canadian teams might have a hard time making the playoffs next year as well as the reality of less viewership during the regular season.

43 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Putting Stroumbo in hockey was a strange move.

I am not interested in watching strombo's forced excitement about the games, or his showing off what he learned about hockey last week.  He probably was given his job by the social engineering planners at CBC.  It seems like wants to reach out and touch Kypreos and the other panel members a lot, and I am asking myself....why?

Archived