The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Demko to sign with Canucks

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Markstrom is ready to be a number one guy, or at least given the chance. Demko needs a year or two more before coming to the NHL but Markstrom can take that time to prove he can be Canucks #1. Backups can be hired cheaper and younger then Miller. Get what you can now or regret it. Same case with Vrbata, didn't trade him, even though you knew he'd be a minor piece going forward. Asset Management. 

Agree on everything you say. I'd move Miller to make room for Markstrom to take over. Also Marky is UFA at end of season and we'll need to keep him happy and declare him 1G to get him signed to an extension. 

Not sure there's a market for Miller at 6 mill. , let's see how the playoffs shake out, then we'll have a better idea. If Ducks get bounced in the 1st round they might take him on at around 2 mill retained for a 3rd or 4th round pick. It would be more of a salary dump than anything else.

With a young team that could lose confidence real quick it might be worth it to keep Miller in case Markstrom gets injured for a month or more. I think JB will play the safe route unless he can get a quality backup on the UFA market. I think it's too early to speculate, we'll have a better idea after the playoffs are done. 

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Me either, I'm just poking fun.

And yeah, I agree, there are definitely benefits to be had from him returning for another season. It'll be neat to see how he builds on the stupendous season he just had.

Yeah I figured you might be joking. 

2 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

why wouldn't he want to sign with vancouver ?? he has a real shot at contending to be a number 1 ..  i wouldn't miss  the chance if i were him ..  

You gotta remember, these are just kids.  Kids have all kinds of issues.  It can be as silly as a hot girlfriend at college, who doesn't want him to leave, and wants him to stay and graduate with her.  Or he promised grandma on her deathbed he would get that college degree, she never had the chance to get, as a poor immigrant from wherever .  Player's have made important decisions like this based on if their wife likes the local shopping malls.

Please please please let it be true. If he does sign here, the Hockey Gods might be giving us another shot after letting Cory go. Demko's got serious talent. He has elite potential there. I really hope we don't let him slip away too

It's a lie! lol :D

The Canucks wine and dined his parents after his loss in the frozen four. A loss that he obviously took extremely hard. He refused to meet with TL and JB and that is a sign of his passion and commitment to winning. Goalies are a strange bunch and this one that we have is an absolute Gem. I had the exact same hip procedure done on both hips and although I didn't have the privilege that Thatcher had getting top notch treatment, my recovery was a battle and I truly didn't feel 100% normal until a good year to a year and a half after. Thatcher went into his last season pretty much just with basic rehab and still absolutely killed it. Once he has full mobility(which he probably almost has) he will be even more of a monster..The kid has it all, the mental fortitude and the physical attributes to be a superstar

Also, not only does he not take losing well, he immediately searched for answers starting with himself, as to why they lost and goes from there. We have a bonafied franchise tender in the making and he will make all of the irrational negative nancies incredibly foolish in due time.

Thatcher is a competetor and a winner through and through and although I disagree with a lot of roster moves that concern this management and the direction of the pro scouting in general, their amateur scouting is undeniably top notch. This is a potential championship cornerstone and our management absolutely deserves all the credit for not only identifying him as a bluechip piece in the draft, but also getting a deal done with him. 

My only wish is that this management loaded themselves with more ammunition going into drafts as they clearly have a knack for selecting winners. I can't wait to see Thatcher don the orca for many years to come!!

Waiting for something more substantive...

Though if it's the College blog, then maybe they heard it from Demko himself, but can't go public? I don't know, seems soft.

I hope he signs, and signs soon. His path with us is clear, go to the AHL for a year or two, earn 3rd string spot, and come up to the big club when Miller moves on and Markstrom is ready for full time duties. Succession plan really is the right term.

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Something else occurred to me, as Henrik and Daniel stayed back to help McCann/Virtanen, maybe McCann called his buddy up and said they need a goaltender to practice with? Pure shot in the dark, but one can have fun. 

Considering his going to the World Championship, probably not.

Great news!

But WTH is all of the talk of moving Miller? We don't know how Demko will adjust to the pro game (Schneider had a rough first half in his rookie year). And we're not going to get jack squat for Miller right now anyways.

The best move is to keep the goaltending status quo, and let Demko mature in the AHL. If we're out of the playoffs by the deadline, and/or Markstrom has totally taken over by that point, then trade Miller at the deadline with cap retained. That's when his value will be highest, esp if he's had a good year and a playoff team has a major goalie injury.

Archived