The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mass shooting in Ohio

RUPERTKBD

Another day, another mass shooting in the U.S.A.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ohio-shootings-1.3550189

Ohio execution-style shootings: Search for suspects underway

8 members of same family slain at 4 locations, including mother of newborn

A day after eight members of one family were found dead with gunshots to the head at four properties in rural southern Ohio, authorities on Saturday continued the scramble to determine who targeted that clan and why.

Investigators said they've interviewed more than 30 people hoping to find leads in the deaths of the seven adults and 16-year-old boy whose bodies were found Friday at homes southwest of Piketon.

Police were also called to this location in Pike County. No arrests in the shootings have been announced and police are warning people in the area to be cautious. (Lisa Marie Miller/The Columbus Dispatch via AP)

All were shot in the head, authorities said, and it appeared some were killed as they slept, including a mother in bed with her 4-day-old baby nearby. The newborn and two other small children were not hurt.

Authorities said all the victims were members of the Rhoden family, but they declined to provide any more information about them.

Investigators said that none of the deaths appeared self-inflicted and that they believed at least one assailant remained at large, considered armed and dangerous. Investigators were following up what they described as an "overwhelming" amount of tips, but no one had been arrested.

Authorities urged surviving members of the Rhoden family to take precautions and offered help, and they recommended that area residents also be wary.

Close-knit, hardworking family

Phil Fulton, the pastor of Union Hill Church up the road from where some of the victims were found, described the family as close-knit and hardworking. He said they were previously part of his congregation, though not recently.

"We're just doing everything we can to reach out to the family to show them love and comfort," Fulton said.

The exact timing of the shootings remained unclear. Authorities first got word in an emergency call shortly before 8 a.m. Friday from someone reporting blood in a home with two males possibly dead, and responding deputies were flagged down about more victims at two others homes, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said.

Two of the crime scenes are within walking distance of each other along a sparsely populated, winding road that leads into wooded hills from a rural highway. The third residence is more than a kilometre away, and the fourth home, where a man's body was found later Friday, is on a different road, at least a 10-minute drive away, said the investigation's leader, Benjamin Suver, a special agent in charge with BCI.

Investigators blocked off wide areas around the crime scenes, but aerial photos showed law enforcement vehicles parked outside the properties. One scene appeared to have a trailer home and several others buildings a short walk apart, with a school bus and numerous other vehicles parked in the grass around the property. Another had a home surrounded by trees, with a red garage or barn nearby.

Reader and Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said they met with over 100 relatives and friends of the family at a church Friday to share what was known and field questions.

They said work by DeWine's employees from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation to process the crime scenes and collect evidence was expected to stretch into Saturday. The FBI in Cincinnati said it was monitoring the case and offered assistance if needed.

Pike County is an economically struggling area in the Appalachian region, about 130 kilometres east of Cincinnati. (CBC)

Authorities refused to discuss details about the crime scenes, such as the type or number of weapons used, what evidence was found and whether anything appeared to be missing from the homes.

They didn't identify the dead by name but confirmed all victims were members of the Rhoden family. The owner of at least two of the properties is listed as Christopher Rhoden, according to Pike County auditor's records.

Reader said he knew the family but declined to say why or how, saying he wanted to be respectful of the grieving family.

Gov. John Kasich, campaigning in Connecticut for his Republican presidential bid, said his office was monitoring the investigation, and he vowed that whoever's responsible will be brought to justice.

The shooting left some people on edge in and around Pike County, an economically distressed area that's home to about 28,000 people and a shuttered Cold War-era uranium plant whose cleanup provides hundreds of local jobs.

Still, many people went about their business Friday night, grocery shopping or eating out or sipping drinks on their front porches. At the small Pike County Dogwood Festival in Piketon, roughly 15 kilometres from the crime scenes, families with children in balloon hats walked among crafters and rides, slurping lemon shakes and snack-stand foods.

Longtime resident Harold Kunkle, 81, said attendance seemed much lower than anticipated, and he attributed that to news of the shootings.

"Everybody's nervous, not knowing what to expect," he said.

Too bad the mom sleeping with her 4 day old infant wasn't packing...

3 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Oh boy, here we go...

It's been a while since we've heard the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", "slippery slope" and "mental illness" arguments.

And of course the oldie, but goodie "the only the criminals will have guns"....

I'm waiting for Bo to tell us how he would have rolled out of bed Rambo-style, grabbed his M16 and busted some caps in all the bad guys' derrieres...

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Another day, another mass shooting in the U.S.A.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ohio-shootings-1.3550189

Too bad the mom sleeping with her 4 day old infant wasn't packing...

You didn't need to add your stupid comment about a sleeping new mother who was just murdered in bed. 

Not funny and it makes you look like an asshole.  

What a Crazy world we live in. Pretty sad story. 

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So we know the motive was caused by the existence of guns? I mean why else do people get murdered.  Remove the gun, remove the murder right?  

The gun is the tool that was used  in this murder. It's role seems pertinent in this case, does it not?

There is no way for you to prove that these eight individuals would still have been murdered if guns did not exist. 

13 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

You didn't need to add your stupid comment about a sleeping new mother who was just murdered in bed. 

Don't think Rupert was trying to make a funny.

20 minutes ago, Toews said:

The gun is the tool that was used  in this murder. It's role seems pertinent in this case, does it not?

There is no way for you to prove that these eight individuals would still have been murdered if guns did not exist. 

Someone had serious motive to murder this family, are you saying that had guns not been available these murder wouldn't have happened?  

And considering "it appeared some were killed as they slept"  I don't really care what tool was used, it wouldn't have taken much to kill someone as they sleep.

47 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

We were due. It had been several months since we had heard about one.

Not sure if this classifies as " Mass Shooting ", but the page below seems to list the shootings, I get earthquake trackers and so on, but pretty sad when you have " Mass shooting " trackers.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

IMHO, I think the person that the murders were supposed to hurt was Christopher Rhoden, who, according to the article, owned at least two of those homes.

It's to send a message, but the murderers did not kill the children.

tragic, RIP.

someone close to this family if not another family member or ex-lover most likely did this...or else a hired gun.

they will probably have a suspect(s) soonish in mind....wouldnt be surprised if the coward behind the incident decides to off themselves before police close in.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

i personally don't like guns, but don't try to act like the gun is the murderer.  

The gun could just as easily be a hammer or a knife.   

People get stabbed all the time.  Are people calling for a knife ban?   

You don't need a gun to murder.   If this guy wanted these people dead, he would find a way.   

And the Rupert comment,

trying to be funny or not.  Jack ass move. 

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yeah, I'm the a-hole and the guys who are sure to show up defending gun owners' rights are just "patriots"...:rolleyes:

...and it wasn't intended to be funny, genius. It was intended to be ironic, since the gun nuts inevitably show up in these threads lamenting the fact that the victims weren't armed and in a position to return fire at their attackers.

20 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

i personally don't like guns, but don't try to act like the gun is the murderer.  

The gun could just as easily be a hammer or a knife.   

People get stabbed all the time.  Are people calling for a knife ban?   

You don't need a gun to murder.   If this guy wanted these people dead, he would find a way.   

And the Rupert comment,

trying to be funny or not.  Jack ass move. 

Speaking of Jackass....

,,,It's not "just as easy" to kill with a hammer or knife.

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I'm the a-hole and the guys who are sure to show up defending gun owners' rights are just "patriots"...:rolleyes:

...and it wasn't intended to be funny, genius. It was intended to be ironic, since the gun nuts inevitably show up in these threads lamenting the fact that the victims weren't armed and in a position to return fire at their attackers.

So what was the purpose of this thread?  What is your position on firearms?  

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So what was the purpose of this thread?  What is your position on firearms?  

The purpose of the thread is to remind the pro gun lobby that the idea of more guns = a safer society is flawed. I made a promise a while back that I would continue with these reminders on a regular basis. Of course, for this to happen, there need to be mass shootings on a regular basis, which of course, there are.

I'm surprised that you can't tell that I'm anti-firearms.

We've been over this many, many times, but since you were apparently not around in the multiple threads where I've made the same statements, I'll re-iterate:

I don't advocate a complete ban on guns. It would be impossible to enforce and is unnecessary anyway. What I do advocate is common-sense restrictions on a nationa basisl (not state by state)

• Restrictions on the types of weapons that may be legally purchased (eg: Assault weapons, semi-automatics. etc.)
  • Restrictions on the capacity of ammunition clips.
  • Restrictions on the type of ammunition that can be purchased legally
  • No sales of weapons without a mandatory waiting period
  • Mandatory safety training before a license to possess a firearm
  • No purchase of firearms without a license
  • Minimum age requirement for use and possession of firearms 

Those are off the top of my head, but that's it in a nutshell.

Now we can sit back and wait for the usual flood of "restrictions don't work" and "If we let them take away our assault weapons, next it will be our hunting rifles", etc., etc. 

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The purpose of the thread is to remind the pro gun lobby that the idea of more guns = a safer society is flawed. I made a promise a while back that I would continue with these reminders on a regular basis. Of course, for this to happen, there need to be mass shootings on a regular basis, which of course, there are.

I'm surprised that you can't tell that I'm anti-firearms.

We've been over this many, many times, but since you were apparently not around in the multiple threads where I've made the same statements, I'll re-iterate:

I don't advocate a complete ban on guns. It would be impossible to enforce and is unnecessary anyway. What I do advocate is common-sense restrictions on a nationa basisl (not state by state)

• Restrictions on the types of weapons that may be legally purchased (eg: Assault weapons, semi-automatics. etc.)
  • Restrictions on the capacity of ammunition clips.
  • Restrictions on the type of ammunition that can be purchased legally
  • No sales of weapons without a mandatory waiting period
  • Mandatory safety training before a license to possess a firearm
  • No purchase of firearms without a license
  • Minimum age requirement for use and possession of firearms 

Those are off the top of my head, but that's it in a nutshell.

Now we can sit back and wait for the usual flood of "restrictions don't work" and "If we let them take away our assault weapons, next it will be our hunting rifles", etc., etc. 

Are you American?

Archived