The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. couple sues Snapchat after crashing car; severe injuries involved

Dazzle

U.S. couple sues Snapchat after car crash allegedly involving 'speed filter'

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/u-s-couple-sues-snapchat-after-car-crash-allegedly-involving-speed-filter-1.2879916

The Associated Press
Published Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:43PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:35PM EDT

GRIFFIN, Ga. -- A Georgia couple is suing Snapchat, claiming that the social media app's "speed filter" tempted a woman to drive too fast and to cause a crash that injured the husband.

Media outlets report Wentworth and Karen Maynard filed a lawsuit in Spalding County State Court against Snapchat and the 18-year-old driver, Christal McGee.

The lawsuit says that in September, McGee was driving down a highway south of Atlanta using a Snapchat filter that places the rate at which a vehicle is traveling over an image. It says McGee was trying to reach 100 miles an hour in her car, which struck the Maynards' car, sending it across the left lane and into an embankment.

The lawsuit says Wentworth Maynard suffered brain damage.

Snapchat representatives didn't comment on the lawsuit. It's unclear if McGee has an attorney.

Nice try, I guess? I would say this is a moneygrab attempt, but someone's gotta pay the bills.

The injuries are horrible - but McGee is an IDIOT. I hope she gets a lifetime ban on driving. Furthermore, it's not Snapchat's fault for the 18 year old to be RETARDED.

It's really sad how many people on Facebook either can't read properly or didn't bother to read the story past the headline. Most of the people commenting seem to think the couple who were injured by McGee were the ones using Snapchat while driving.

I'm not sure how much I hold Snapchat responsible for someone being an idiot while using their product. It's kind of like suing the car manufacturer for making cars that can go 100 MPH. That said, McGee is obviously a moron (she kept posting snaps in the ER) and if the court decides to hold her, and her alone, responsible; I have no issue with it. 

Normally I'd say yeah, toss out the snapchat lawsuit and just go after the girl... but man, that speed filter is just asking for trouble - I can't think of too many situations that aren't dangerous where one would use it...

1 hour ago, Dral said:

Normally I'd say yeah, toss out the snapchat lawsuit and just go after the girl... but man, that speed filter is just asking for trouble - I can't think of too many situations that aren't dangerous where one would use it...

Sitting in a plane? Sitting in the passenger seat?

Hold it, but why is Snapchat being sued and not the 18 year old McGee who caused the accident in the first place?

My guess is a 18 year old probably has no money while Snapchat has millions of dollars?

So it is all really all about the money.   Only in America where you can get sued $50 million for ruining someone's suit pants as we saw a few years ago.

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

Hold it, but why is Snapchat being sued and not the 18 year old McGee who caused the accident in the first place?

My guess is a 18 year old probably has no money while Snapchat has millions of dollars?

So it is all really all about the money.   Only in America where you can get sued $50 million for ruining someone's suit pants as we saw a few years ago.

Guess you didn't read the quote posted.... both are being sued...

Archived