The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Different spin on "dropping" to the 5th....

19naslund19

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's almost like they've been picking near the end of the first round for the better part of a decade

Or trading picks.  Forget which year (2010?) we didn't have a pick until 4th round

I agree with you're points, but how many more years are fans going to keep paying their money for "hope" It's been 40 years for some hardcore fans, there comes a point. I think you will see the arena very empty this year and future years, then Aqua-man will have had enough and sell the team, it will be moved, no hockey in Vancouver. NHL will have what they want.

I agree with you. I have watched this team from day one and have become disillusioned with them as, will I ever see this team win it all? I like everyone else on here was disappointed that the Nucks couldn't have a least held on to that number 3 spot but like I said we all knew the rules going in. Although this was no surprise to me. I did the the simulator 10 times and the majority of times the Nucks ended up with 4th or 5th. 

4 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Or trading picks.  Forget which year (2010?) we didn't have a pick until 4th round

That hasn't changed.  We have 4 picks in top 5 rounds this year and 4 in the top 6 rounds the year after.  I'm pretty sure that's not how you rebuild.  Oh yeah, we're not rebuilding.  We're retooling.  Compare that to Toronto having 12 picks this year including the 1st overall. 

Virtanen has great hands and touch for a physical big boy, he still needs to play that power forward style to be fully effective. 

But his skill is underrated...

And I don't get why Ray Ferraro and people say "Virtanen is Jannik Hansen"

Virtanen has WWWAAAAAYYYY better hands than Hansen, Hansen couldn't

stick handle in a warehouse. 

Watch at 0:33 and you can see Virtanens

quick/soft hands that are way better than Hansens.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

That hasn't changed.  We have 4 picks in top 5 rounds this year and 4 in the top 6 rounds the year after.  I'm pretty sure that's not how you rebuild.  Oh yeah, we're not rebuilding.  We're retooling.  Compare that to Toronto having 12 picks this year including the 1st overall. 

I'm almost drowning in the river you are crying.. please stop anymore and I'll be dead.

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dubois will go 4th, 5th or 6th if we don't draft him.

NHL central scouting has him at #1 for NA players. HP at 4th overall, ISS at 5th overall and FC at 6th overall.

He's scoring and playing a big mans game in the easiest Major Junior league.

His size and strength will be OK at the NHL level and his skill will probably be nothing.

He's a 3rd/4th liner.

Just now, Z Hockey said:

He's scoring and playing a big mans game in the easiest Major Junior league.

His size and strength will be OK at the NHL level and his skill will probably be nothing.

He's a 3rd/4th liner.

He has the potential to be a top line player. That's why scouts rave about him and consider him one of the most complete players in this draft.

His skill offensively is reminiscent of Bobby Ryan but he plays with a lot more bite and physicality.

He could be a special player, like Tkachuk and others in our range.

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Players with an "elite skill package" tend to be drafted higher than he was.  They also tend to put up points.

What about Virtanen is underrated exactly?  He doesn't score doesn't play D and has low hockey IQ.  He's a good skater/hitter.  But when you draft a player in the top 10.  You better be getting a guy that can do more than skate and hit.  Once again, 37th in rookie scoring with a lazy work ethic according to his team captain. 

It was Virtanens first NHL season and he's young so what, for a guy with size and

aggression, he has soft hands and touch. 

Yeah he's not creative but he can dangle.

At the 2014 Draft McKenzie said that scouts said "You can't label McCann with the points he put up because he's an Elite level skill package." Once again it was his first NHL season and he's undersized.

3 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

It was Virtanens first NHL season and he's young so what, for a guy with size and

aggression, he has soft hands and touch. 

Yeah he's not creative but he can dangle.

At the 2014 Draft McKenzie said that scouts said "You can't label McCann with the points he put up because he's an Elite level skill package." Once again it was his first NHL season and he's undersized.

You use a lot of scout's opinions to justify your opinions, but then you ignore those same scouts to bash on dubois.  Selective picking to affirm your confirmation bias about players.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He has the potential to be a top line player. That's why scouts rave about him and consider him one of the most complete players in this draft.

His skill offensively is reminiscent of Bobby Ryan but he plays with a lot more bite and physicality.

He could be a special player, like Tkachuk and others in our range.

I really don't understand his hype, I've watched him many times and can't see why people love the guy so much...

Multiple people on here have been saying the same thing like "I don't want him either"

"Dubois screams 40 point player", etc.

Alex Nylander should be the No.1 NA skater.

3 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

I rather take Nylander than Dubois. 

You can't teach top end skill. 

I'm actually happy with dubois, nylander or tkachuk.  Some say this nylander is better than william.  We'll see about that though.  I just don't want a dman with our pick.  It's too high of a pick to ignore bpa for a dman.  None of those dmen are projected to be top pairing d.

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

You use a lot of scout's opinions to justify your opinions, but then you ignore those same scouts to bash on dubois.  Selective picking to affirm your confirmation bias about players.

It's called sometimes I use my own

knowledge and opinion.

Dubois is not that great.

You know who else was a big, tough, skilled center/winger in the QMJHL?

And had an 80+ point season?

Canucks 2012 2nd rounder Alex Mallet.

The guy is now an ECHLer with Kalamazoo after being traded with a 3rd to NYI for Pedan. 

The Q makes duds look great, some Rep players from AAA could go on hot streaks in that league.

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dubois will go 4th, 5th or 6th if we don't draft him.

NHL central scouting has him at #1 for NA players. HP at 4th overall, ISS at 5th overall and FC at 6th overall.

Dubois Tkachuk Juolevi are most likely in the 4 to 6 range. Unless Benning goes off the shelf and actually selects Logan Brown, he's a huge center that can dominate at both ends of the ice. 

Just now, Z Hockey said:

I really don't understand his hype, I've watched him many times and can't see why people love the guy so much...

Multiple people on here have been saying the same thing like "I don't want him either"

"Dubois screams 40 point player", etc.

Alex Nylander should be the No.1 NA skater.

Scouts don't seem to agree with you.

You shouldn't use other peoples opinions here to support your own, you can lose a lot of credibility in what you say.

Dubois the type of player you can use in all situations. He is a lot more skilled offensively than Tkachuk and perhaps defensively as well. That's why scouts praise his 200 foot game.

4 minutes ago, LordHorvat said:

Dubois Tkachuk Juolevi are most likely in the 4 to 6 range. Unless Benning goes off the shelf and actually selects Logan Brown, he's a huge center that can dominate at both ends of the ice. 

Highly speculated players to go 4-6. I am not doubtful at all about it happening, it is a big possibility. I doubt Brown goes in that range.

5 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

It's called sometimes I use my own

knowledge and opinion.

Dubois is not that great.

You know who else was a big, tough, skilled center/winger in the QMJHL?

And had an 80+ point season?

Canucks 2012 2nd rounder Alex Mallet.

The guy is now an ECHLer with Kalamazoo after being traded with a 3rd to NYI for Pedan. 

The Q makes duds look great, some Rep players from AAA could go on hot streaks in that league.

Yeah and Alex Mallet was never touted as a top 5 pick, so I don't know what point you're trying to make.  Scouts weren't fooled by him thinking he was a high end talent.

1 hour ago, JV18 said:

The only way this will be a good thing is if we win next years lottery so in our 20/20 hindsight the player we get this year compliments our star at a cheaper cap.  Who am I kidding this sucks in every way.  We are building a team of potential second liners and maybe I'm wrong but I'm depressed let me have this.

So you're saying you can only get 1st line players in the top 3?

Every draft in history would go against that theory.

Archived