The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Different spin on "dropping" to the 5th....

19naslund19

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Highly speculated players to go 4-6. I am not doubtful at all about it happening, it is a big possibility. I doubt Brown goes in that range.

Most likely not but it's interesting Button puts Brown as Canucks spot. Button must be off his rocker. 

The Canucks are not going to solve all it's problems in one draft contrary to popular belief.

This team has a bunch of different needs right now, the biggest arguably being a number 1 D-man. In this draft we could potentially have our choice of any of the top ranked D-men. When have we ever been in that position?

We also need a big number 1 center. If Benning is sold on Dubois, or if he decides to trade down and take Brown, both are possibilities. However, if doesn't see them as number 1's we are also weak down the left side in our prospect pool so Tkachuk or Dubois could both potentially fill that hole.

The point is, it's going to take at least a few drafts to round out the rest of our roster. If missing out on the "big 3" means we address other glaring needs this draft, I don't really see the downside. There will be hyped up players every draft that we can draft, it's not like this was our one opportunity.

2 hours ago, 19naslund19 said:

Let me just say getting a higher pick would usually be preferred as the top 2/3 players are more "franchise players"...period. That being said we draft 5th and will get a kid that could turn into a great player for this franchise.

My thinking on the 5th pick is that it will likely be someone that goes back to junior next year and gets lots of playing time and experience. We will continue to develop our current kids next year and he will be ready to challenge for a lineup spot in 17/18. That year we will also have Boesser (assuming he signs) and Demko (after a year leading Utica) challenging for spots and yes I think they will after next season. Our current kids will have another year under the belt and players like Miller, Burrows, Higgins will be off the books (if not earlier). Next year will be another "rebuild" year and there will be no pressure....I am actually hoping for another top 6 pick next year to really stick the shelves before the road back.

I think if we had got one one of the top 3 picks there might have been more pressure to rebuild while making the playoffs....leading to irrational free agent pickups this summer, trading kids for the now and scraping into the playoffs. I think with a player like Tkachuk or Dubois going back to junior this year gives us the perfect setup for a another rebuild year....one that will be tough but one that will help solidify the future nicely.

One of the most posts in a long time. Very straight forward assessment when it comes building a solid base the very way this management team is headed. I'm thrilled with the prospects in this system since Benning and Linden took over. A slow and steady build makes for a long term winner. Im still concerned about WD's coaching, I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't. 

Even if the coach gets gassed Linden and Benning still have a great prospect pool.

you can ignore guys like Tryamkin one just has to be patient. This isn't a video game. 

5th over all in this draft basically means they'll get a good player that may need seasoning. 

Fans need to be patient, that's far from the Canucks fault and mainly on the fans fault for not getting it. 

You watch on these forums. All the players from this draft will make it on paper and the fans will be all stressed out when only one player makes it. Its the reality.

I won't bring up the media in Vancouver. Once again the fans fall for a market flooded with media to the point where truth and speculation abound.Botchford for example just seems to take the opposite view just to get bone heads thinking. Bone heads thinking are dangerously misimformed. 

Botchford gets paid handsomely for railing the market. I check ever wroyer before I read it. Then go from there 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why is Brown suddenly getting the hype? Yes, he's big and could be an imposing C, but he's rated 14, not even in the top 10. Why isn't he rated higher?

Larkin and Tarasenko were drafted 15th and 16th.

It's not all about rankings, it's about taking the player that has the attributes you're looking for.

If Benning wants to trade down and take Brown I'd have no problem with that.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The point is, it's going to take at least a few drafts to round out the rest of our roster. If missing out on the "big 3" means we address other glaring needs this draft, I don't really see the downside. There will be hyped up players every draft that we can draft, it's not like this was our one opportunity.

Knowing this place, most of the crying will stop once we have our guy and we get to see him shine. You don't really hear much complaining about losing in the first round last year because we were lucky enough to have Boeser drop to us at 23.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

You can spin it any which way that makes you feel better, but a top 3 pick would have been a game changer for this franchise. A game changer that we don't have and haven't had in a long time.

We'll get a good player at #5, but not that dynamic game breaker we were so close to.

One word:

BENNING

18 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

It's called sometimes I use my own

knowledge and opinion.

Dubois is not that great.

You know who else was a big, tough, skilled center/winger in the QMJHL?

And had an 80+ point season?

Canucks 2012 2nd rounder Alex Mallet.

The guy is now an ECHLer with Kalamazoo after being traded with a 3rd to NYI for Pedan. 

The Q makes duds look great, some Rep players from AAA could go on hot streaks in that league.

What the hell do you know about Dubios? 

You getting all this from your extensive highlight watching? 

You don't have a clue, you just need to find something to be obnoxious about in every thread. Everyone on here thinks you are a complete tool.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

What are those videos supposed to prove?  There were 36 rookies with more impressive highlight reels last season.  He scored 13 points, 64 less than the top rookie.  His work ethic was so bad he got trash talked by Sedin.  So even compared to only rookies he doesn't score, doesn't play good D and is lazy.  But yeah, totally franchise player.  :rolleyes:

McCann and Virtanen are so overrated by this fanbase. 

You should start watching hockey. 

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Scouts don't seem to agree with you.

You shouldn't use other peoples opinions here to support your own, you can lose a lot of credibility in what you say.

Dubois the type of player you can use in all situations. He is a lot more skilled offensively than Tkachuk and perhaps defensively as well. That's why scouts praise his 200 foot game.

I'll use whatever opinion I want. I'm saying there's people who agree with me.

"Dubois is a lot more skilled than M.Tkachuk offensively"

Even with M.Tkachuk playing with

Marner & C.Dvorak, he's producing in the OHL and is just as strong and more skilled.

Dubois is scoring and looking good on a Top 5 team in the easiest and least physical 

Major Junior League.......:picard:

Alex Nylander, M.Tkachuk, Juolevi, and Michael McLeod are all better.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You don't have a clue, you just need to find something to be obnoxious about in every thread. Everyone on here thinks you are a complete tool.

I HAVE MY OWN OPINION ABOUT PROSPECTS. 

Im getting this from my opinion and yes watching on tv/highlights and from what I've seen from past drafts & prospects.

I have to agree with exact list of prospects?

I don't need something to be obnoxious about its called I enjoy debating about the draft/hockey.

Why don't you go trash talk some more guys half your age.

I'd be happy with Dubois coming to the Canucks, a potential 1C with size is exactly what we need. Wouldn't be surprised if he's regarded as the best player in this draft a few years from now. Tkachuk would be good as well.

14 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

What's your opinion on the Sedins? How about when they were drafted? You should have learned from that draft that being over rated can change by the end of a career. Virt and Jared will be fine. 

Just now, Z Hockey said:

I'll use whatever opinion I want. I'm saying there's people who agree with me.

"Dubois is a lot more skilled than M.Tkachuk offensively"

Even with M.Tkachuk playing with

Marner & C.Dvorak, he's producing in the OHL and is just as strong and more skilled.

Dubois is scoring and looking good on a Top 5 team in the easiest and least physical 

Major Junior League.......:picard:

Alex Nylander, M.Tkachuk, Juolevi, and Michael McLeod are all better.

You will lose credibility then if you think that way. People do see that.

Dubois is more skilled offensively, it is easy to see and scouts agree. He is a far greater playmaker has a good release on his shot(maybe the best outside the top 3), plays a physical game and has better hands. Tkachuk has good hands in tight and offensive instincts but is more of a muck and grind player and is successful that way, that's why he's ranked so high.

A lot of good players have come out of the QMJHL. You shouldn't overlook a player just because he is from the QMJHL. 

Scouts have him ranked higher than the majority of those players(besides Tkachuk in a few instances.

Scouts don't seem to agree with you at all and considering you use other peoples opinions on CDC to support your own I see no reason why people should believe your opinion. You also stated earlier that we shouldn't draft him based off his name which makes little sense and further enhances the lack of credibility you have.

People should take what you have to say about prospects like a grain of salt if that's your train of thinking. Not trying to insult you but your opinion has major flaws which leads me to believe that you're not a good judge of talent.

What is Dubois player comparable to in the NHL right now?  His size would be awesome on the Canucks, to compete in the West. Tkachuck would be too, he is 6'2'', apparently has a nasty side too, either of these 2 would be nice.  Dubois is inter-changeable at either C or LW which is always appreciated.  In your opinion where does Mccann fit in on future lineups, 1st or 2nd, surely not 3rd?  Would be nice to set him up with a sniper and an agitator who can also put points on the board.

Archived